9mm Recommendations?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Re: 9mm Recommendations?

Post by Cryptic » 08 Nov 2016, 10:44 pm

Hollywood wrote:
Pba imports has them listed on their site as awaiting us export if that helps.

It's been saying that for at least six months I think!

Hmm. Tried hitting up Brownells Australia to see if they can get one in. They sell them on their US site.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 08 Nov 2016, 11:38 pm

PBA are not the only ones experiencing issues with getting stock. I've been waiting close to 8 months now for some STI 2011 38Super mags, >4 months for DE44 mags, Sig1911 357Sig mags and Kimber 10mm mags and I've been unable to locate these mags locally from the usual importers and dealers. If no traction by January I'm thinking to lodge a B709 of my own and import a bulk lot, selling the excess off to cover my costs.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Cryptic » 09 Nov 2016, 1:06 am

The US is becoming more and more retarded with their ITAR regulations from what I have been hearing from mates over there. Could have something to do with difficulties.
Depending who gets in via todays election it could become a lot worse for us to get stuff.
If you find an apex let me know where as I am giving some serious thought to an m&p as my next purchase if I dont get another revolver.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Homer » 09 Nov 2016, 6:28 am

G'Day Fella's,

OODAH, I've been shooting handguns for 30+ years (IPSC etc) and my best advice, is to handle as many different types as possible!
This way, you will hopefully find a pistol that fits and suits you size hand and from this, feels comfortable in you hand.

FYI, Glocks don't suit my hand size and they don't feel very good in my hand, where as CZ and 1911's are a good match for me.

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Warner520 » 18 Dec 2016, 4:50 pm

Buy a Glock 17 A or Glock 34.
All factory ammo should work in the Glock.
Do not use lead projectiles as this voids your Glock warranty.
If you buy a new Glock the lead warranty info will be in the box.
Warner520
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by spEKTre » 03 Jan 2017, 7:45 pm

If you haven't bought the 9 yet the only advice I will give is this..look at the club you are joining what matches are you going to shoot there. Once you have this info then go on a day when some good shooters are competing, watch them and decide if the match is for you. Some matches require you to go prone, kneel or sit and shoot which can be something you may not be able to do with your physical condition.

ASK and listen, I don't know how many people just buy the first thing they see because "it felt so good in their hand" and ended up wasting time and money. I suggest you watch the best shooter in the match your interested and see what he is shooting and pick his/her brain. Most shooters are keen to pass on what they know ( except load data sometimes ) and if you listen chances are you won't make a stupid impulsive decision to buy something that can't hit a 44 gallon drum at 25 yards.
spEKTre
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 03 Jan 2017, 10:36 pm

spEKTre wrote:If you haven't bought the 9 yet the only advice I will give is this..look at the club you are joining what matches are you going to shoot there. Once you have this info then go on a day when some good shooters are competing, watch them and decide if the match is for you. Some matches require you to go prone, kneel or sit and shoot which can be something you may not be able to do with your physical condition.

ASK and listen, I don't know how many people just buy the first thing they see because "it felt so good in their hand" and ended up wasting time and money. I suggest you watch the best shooter in the match your interested and see what he is shooting and pick his/her brain. Most shooters are keen to pass on what they know ( except load data sometimes ) and if you listen chances are you won't make a stupid impulsive decision to buy something that can't hit a 44 gallon drum at 25 yards.

Excellent advice, a lot of new members will often buy a pistol that either doesn't fit them or isn't right for the comps they want to shoot.

I'll publically admit that I've purchased some pistols purely for "Wank Appeal" or "It looked cool in the movie" and "Cause I just wanted it". All well and good if you're an enthusiast and shoot a couple times a week but if you're after just 1 or 2 for comps then the advice above is spot on.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 03 Jan 2017, 10:58 pm

thought you were going bush brett1868
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 04 Jan 2017, 12:22 am

pomemax wrote:thought you were going bush brett1868

I am bush :D Struggling with 3G data so I must be way out bush.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by superdave » 04 Jan 2017, 7:43 am

OODAH, (I assume your name derives from the Boyd cycle)

I was in your position about 9 months ago, and chose a CZ 75 SP01 Shadow. The quality of the engineering won me over.
The thing that I like and also find challenging about the CZ is that to shoot it to its full potential, I will have to practice long and hard, meaning that I will take time to "grow" into full competence. It's unlikely to hold me back with it's limitations unless I become an outstanding shooter.

So there will always be the thought of "I can do better than yesterday with this pistol".

All the best with your choice.
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by Dogger » 23 Apr 2017, 12:56 am

Best 9mm kimber 1911 clone, its got a great trigger and it's heft keeps recoil down. Glocks can take some getting used to, my pre John Howard Glock was a model 19 compact, easy to point and shoot. Avoid Beretta 92's terrible trigger this goes for Browning HP's any military pistol except 1911.
The most important thing is how it fits your hand.
Dogger
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bullzeye » 20 May 2017, 10:05 pm

I'm interested in getting a glock 17 for 25m single handed and double handed centrefire comps. I'm not interested in spending too much on a 9mm and surely this will do the job? Plus I've always liked the overall glock design..
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by yowie » 21 May 2017, 9:07 pm

I have a Beretta 92 and hate it, CZ 85 good honest gun and a Tanfog limited custom that i absolutely love. With your budget i would rather buy a secondhand tanfog than a new CZ. you can get some good deals secondhand with belts, Holsters, Mags ETC
yowie
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bullzeye » 22 May 2017, 9:58 am

Yowie, what don't you like about the Beretta 92? Would be interested to hear.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by yowie » 23 May 2017, 8:59 pm

bullzeye wrote:Yowie, what don't you like about the Beretta 92? Would be interested to hear.

The grip is too short (i have large hands) and i find the recoil and muzzle jump to be double that of my other 9mm (the tanfog is a 38)
i find that with IPSC it takes a bit longer to get back on target for the next shot than it does with my CZ.

Other than that i have no issues the gun functions fine and it is easy to maintain/clean ETC

I just dont enjoy shooting it.
yowie
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bullzeye » 24 May 2017, 9:08 am

Thanks for the info, appreciate the first hand account. No-one at my club seems to shoot a Beretta 92 from what I've seen.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ANDREGOD » 26 Jul 2017, 1:32 pm

Try the new SIG SAUER P320.

OODAH wrote:G'day,

I'm after your recommendations for my first 9mm handgun. I've been shooting single handed .22 for awhile now with an old browning buckmark (fantastic gun) but I want to step it up a little.

I'm a 6ft something fella so I've got pretty big hands for starters.

I was using an old Military issue Beretta that I wasn't a fan off and I've also used a Glock (pretty sure it was a glock 34) and I like it but the owner of it was saying if he uses anything less then expensive ammo without enough "bang" it wouldn't cycle right and become jammed. Just waiting on a mate to try his Springfield 1911 and XDM.

I'm not looking to get into anything serious but would like to be able to do some IPSC and just general plinking and would like to be able to keep it under 2G with a new belt and a couple a mags.

Any thoughts of what I should go try out? Anything I should stay away from?
Thanks in advance. :drinks:
ANDREGOD
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Echidna » 02 Mar 2018, 3:33 am

Hollywood wrote:The red dot was just a Christmas present to myself! It's obviously easier to use than iron sights if you have eye issues as you only have to focus through the sight onto your target and the red dot is in focus too.

The size of the dot in the lower pic is more representative of what I see, the dot in the top pic is smaller than it actually appears to me.

APEX Triggers are AWESOME in the M&P9, buy from Brownells USA or get the part numbers from the US site and email Brownells Australia with the part numbers. Can take a while that way, if your keen just buy from the USA site and you will have it within a week. Watch the Apex YouTube videos and get all the tricky bits. You will love it!!
Echidna
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Cryptic » 05 Mar 2018, 6:33 pm

Echidna wrote:
Hollywood wrote:The red dot was just a Christmas present to myself! It's obviously easier to use than iron sights if you have eye issues as you only have to focus through the sight onto your target and the red dot is in focus too.

The size of the dot in the lower pic is more representative of what I see, the dot in the top pic is smaller than it actually appears to me.

APEX Triggers are AWESOME in the M&P9, buy from Brownells USA or get the part numbers from the US site and email Brownells Australia with the part numbers. Can take a while that way, if your keen just buy from the USA site and you will have it within a week. Watch the Apex YouTube videos and get all the tricky bits. You will love it!!

He probably found one already as he was looking nearly 18 months ago :lol:
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 05 Mar 2018, 8:12 pm

1911. Which one depends on your budget. I have an STI Spartan which got me going, but i ended up changing our and adding quite a few bits. Should have saved up and went the Trojan to beging with.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by wanneroo » 06 Mar 2018, 2:27 am

I picked up a 5 inch Walther PPQ. As far as striker fired pistols 9mm pistols go and I've shot many of them, the Walther is one of the best I have found.

I give a lot of credit to Glock for making a very simple reliable pistol that works, but I think the factory barrels suck on accuracy. Also after shooting it in competition for years I find it misses the fine details. The mag well could be better, the slide release better, the mag release better, the grip better, the signs could be better and the trigger could be better. Now of course there is a huge aftermarket for Glock but then you end up spending more than the gun is worth to make it all work. It's like trying to turn a Ford into a Ferrari.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Previous

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers