9mm Recommendations?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

9mm Recommendations?

Post by OODAH » 09 Jul 2016, 9:13 am

G'day,

I'm after your recommendations for my first 9mm handgun. I've been shooting single handed .22 for awhile now with an old browning buckmark (fantastic gun) but I want to step it up a little.

I'm a 6ft something fella so I've got pretty big hands for starters.

I was using an old Military issue Beretta that I wasn't a fan off and I've also used a Glock (pretty sure it was a glock 34) and I like it but the owner of it was saying if he uses anything less then expensive ammo without enough "bang" it wouldn't cycle right and become jammed. Just waiting on a mate to try his Springfield 1911 and XDM.

I'm not looking to get into anything serious but would like to be able to do some IPSC and just general plinking and would like to be able to keep it under 2G with a new belt and a couple a mags.

Any thoughts of what I should go try out? Anything I should stay away from?
Thanks in advance. :drinks:
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: 9mm Recommendations?

Post by Wylie27 » 09 Jul 2016, 9:16 am

1911 or a cz75 :) they are the popular choose at my club..

Lots of spares availability.. Lots to tinker with especially with a 1911.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 09 Jul 2016, 10:02 am

Around $2,000 with extra mags makes what I'm saying here a bit redundant, but, here's my 5c worth......

I was thinking about spending big money ($4,000) on a Sig Sauer, but, decided on a Tanfoglio Custom Extreme because of its features and being nearly 50% cheaper. Spare Parts arent an issue. I own an X6 that is insanely accurate too. These are target/competition and not normally carried by law enforcement. I'm yet to give the new Tanfog a decent run as my ammo is a bees dick too long. The Tanfog came with 4 x mags. Cost me $2700 and its close to the top of the line.

The advice I give to new pistol shooters is "buy a target pistol, not a service pistol." By this, I mean a pistol that's more intended to range/competition shooting than a gun that's used by Police (Beretta 92FS for example) or the military. I've got a H&K USP that's only good for up to 15m shooting. The X6 owns 25-50m. I dont shoot IPSC though.

I've owned a heap of different 9mm's over the years and my all time favourite is Heckler & Koch USP Elite which are no longer manufactured. This was an absolute tack driver. I've owned 1 Glock and didn't like it.

As a beginner, you'll get a ton of opinions. Maybe have a look around and see what the guys in your club are using and see if they'll let you have a go. With new shooters, I always take extra ammo (I reload alot) and let them try my guns. If you like the feel etc. talk with the owner a bit more and you've found your gun.

The other thing to think about is buying a semi auto .22. It can be alot cheaper practising with 100 .22's than 100 x 9mm factories, until you join the wonderful world of reloading that is.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 10 Jul 2016, 12:35 pm

My 9mm is a Browning Hi-Power and I will sing its praises all day long but I have had the gun worked over. I've fired the Beretta M-9/M92 and am not a fan. I just do not care for the trigger bar being on the outside of the frame. The Glock I shot was okay but the trigger was atrocious. I have shot several guys 1911s in 9mm and liked them a lot. The 1911s have the best triggers.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Spudman75 » 10 Jul 2016, 9:14 pm

Have a look at STI, they have some good stuff. I have an Edge, runs beautiful.
Spudman75
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 10 Jul 2016, 10:33 pm

In 9mm I have a Glock 17 G4, Beretta M9A3, Beretta 92FS Brigadier, Wilson Combat Beretta 92G and a Walther PP Q5 Match...all of them are good to shoot and I love the Walther but I'm about to buy a CZ75 TS Orange. A friend has the SP01 Shadow which I've shot several times and they are very nice. The big problem is that buying a pistol is a suck it and see affair, you cant really take one for a test drive before buying one. Don't limit your choices to just 9mm cause 38Super or .357Sig in a 1911 or 2011 chassis are both great fun. I have a STi Trubor in 38Super that's an absolute tack driver and a Sig 1911 Fastback Nightmare .357Sig which is my current favourite amongst it's many brothers in the safe.

What club are you shooting with and do you have a full cat H license? If St Mary's and you have full Cat H drop me a PM and I'm more then happy to meet you the range and let you shoot the Glock, Berettas, Walther, Sig or STi for a 6 pack of Coke (cans) :)

Beretta 87 Target 22 is a beautiful hand gun if you want to go the 22 path, the MKIII Rugar competition is also very nice but looses points for being a massive pain in the a$$ to strip and clean

Bluerob is on the right track, see what others are using and also see what's comfortable in your hand.

I just finished the 2 day IPSC course at St Marys and 80% of attendees used a CZ75 model of some kind including the 2 instructors. I was the only plastic fantastic user cause I didn't want to look like a tosser rocking up with the STi.

IPSC has 5 divisions so just buy 5 pistols :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 11 Jul 2016, 12:52 pm

Nice to see another StMarys member Brett :)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigM » 11 Jul 2016, 1:53 pm

Starting off in IPSC I would go with either Production or Classic.

There are a number of good 1911 models around for Classic. Shoot every 1911 that you can get your hands on then ask the owners what mods they did.
IPSC is about reliability so you do not want a temperamental gun. I like the feature/price point of the STI Trojan but I do not own one.

For production go with either a CZ Shadow or a Tanfoglio Stock 2/3.
Glock 17 are ok but Berettas are only good for Mel Gibson (50 metres one handed no problem - b/s).
Sigs are a nice gun but... twice the price and half the reliabillity. All the Sig shooters in my club are now shooting CZ or Tanfog (ducks and weaves).
There are Tanfog Stock 2 Extremes and Stock 3 Extremes around at the moment that are very nice.
Three model CZ Shadows are available; Shadow ($1200), Shadow Australia ($1600) and Shadow Orange ($2000) that come with 4 mags (only 3 mags from Winchester). I have a Shadow Australia. They are better for my small hands and I prefer the CZ trigger.
Note there is a new model coming (Shadow 2 - $1700ish) in 3? months and you may be able to get a better deal on a standard Shadow.
If you go production then the model needs to be on the approved list; http://www.ipsc.org/rules/proddiv.php

You need 6 mags (+$150)

Belt and 5 mag holders say $300.
DAA Racemaster holster $250

Buy once, cry once.
Last edited by bigM on 11 Jul 2016, 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Are you ready?"
bigM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by OODAH » 11 Jul 2016, 2:49 pm

Thank you everyone there are so many options! Though every single person I have spoken to in there list of guns to try has given good mention of the CZ75. I called the range I shoot at and they have a few options I can try STI, Glock, Beretta, Walther a few others plus a CZ75, with any luck I'll get there on Sunday to have a try of as many as I can.

I really appreciate the offer Brett1868 but I'm about 1000km from St Mary's otherwise Ii would defiantly take you up on that offer.

Bluerob the Tanfoglio Custom Extreme looks amazing! Actual they all do! But are they all that much better for the money? I have an image in my head of them being like a European car, great while there new but once there older needing constant maintenance and expensive on parts

Thanks BigM I think I need to read up more on the IPSC categories as well, I don't want to get a gun then be in a glass that puts me in over my head and I don't want to buy a gun that needs to be worked on because like you said I wont reliability.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigM » 11 Jul 2016, 3:15 pm

There are a few different model CZs;
CZ 75
CZ 75B
CZ 75 SP-01
CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow
CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Australia
CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Orange
are all different guns.

You want one of the Shadow models.
"Are you ready?"
bigM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by OODAH » 11 Jul 2016, 3:56 pm

bigM wrote:There are a few different model CZs;
CZ 75
CZ 75B
CZ 75 SP-01
CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow
CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Australia
CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Orange
are all different guns.

You want one of the Shadow models.

Yeah was just looking at all the different variations. I can get the CZ 75 sp-01 shadow orange for $2000 or wait and they have the shadow 2 blue coming out for $1500 which says;

"The new Shadow 2 has reportedly been in research and development for over 2 years, with a design focus to improve speed, accuracy, durability, and customization. These upgrades have been spurred from the highly competitive ISPC requirements and shooter feedback."
:allegedly:
Seems to me if the CZ is something I like the feel of I would be better off waiting a couple of months?
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigM » 11 Jul 2016, 4:48 pm

Shoot one first then shoot the Tanfog. If you have large hands then you may prefer the Tanfog.

I believe the Shadow Australias are currently out of stock and only a limited number of Shadow Orange are available right now.
All the Shadows have the same frame so the 'fit' will be the same.

The Shadow 2 has a number of differences including the frame.
Notice I put the '?' on the 3 months :)
CZ factory, like a lot of manufacturers, are unreliable with their delivery dates.
Last edited by bigM on 11 Jul 2016, 8:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Are you ready?"
bigM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by OODAH » 11 Jul 2016, 4:58 pm

Yeah there will lots of trying of different guns before I commit to one, and the ETA for the shadow 2 is October.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Homer » 11 Jul 2016, 5:43 pm

G'Day Fella's,

OODAH, the best advice I can give you, is to handle as many different brands and model as you possibly can, BEFORE you spend any money!
See which of them feels best in your hand and that can be a very good indication, of what fits your size hand.

Also, check out the Sphinx brand, they are Very Nice but Very Expensive!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by ItsMe » 18 Oct 2016, 6:14 am

A bunch of the Shadow 2 pistols have been sent out to gun shops supplied by PBA.

I'm waiting to know if my Urban Grey will be available by the weekend.

:clap:
ItsMe
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 18 Oct 2016, 7:09 am

ItsMe wrote:A bunch of the Shadow 2 pistols have been sent out to gun shops supplied by PBA.

Cool, maybe PBA have spare STi mags finally back in stock after I've been waiting >4 months for. What range you shooting at? If Sydney based I'd love to get a shot outta the new model :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 18 Oct 2016, 7:39 am

Brett if my redundancy plans go to plan, - forseee a shadow 2 in my future..

Will know today if I have a new job or not..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by OODAH » 18 Oct 2016, 7:50 am

ItsMe wrote:A bunch of the Shadow 2 pistols have been sent out to gun shops supplied by PBA.

Why must you tease me like this? I got to hold one while in Thailand a few months back and damn it was sweet. I had plans to buy one but moneys tight atm and I'm using a mates Glock 34 which does the job for now.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ItsMe » 29 Oct 2016, 2:24 pm

brett1868 wrote:

Cool, maybe PBA have spare STi mags finally back in stock after I've been waiting >4 months for. What range you shooting at? If Sydney based I'd love to get a shot outta the new model :)

I'm a member at Blacktown.

PS, I got the Urban Grey Shadow 2, lov'n it.
ItsMe
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 29 Oct 2016, 4:15 pm

I am on the waiting list for the next shipment of shadow 2.. mid november apparently..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by dpskipper » 30 Oct 2016, 9:53 am

Glocks are sometimes a bit too small for large hands, but thats nothing some grip tape couldn't fix.
If your after a large gun then the 1911s are really good.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Hollywood » 07 Nov 2016, 4:06 pm

I bought my first handgun in January this year and went with a S&W M&P. I bought the C.O.R.E. model with the slide already cut for a sight so threw a Leopold red dot on it. Now I certainly don't claim to have the experience of the other forum contributors here but I'm very happy with it.

I've put 4500 rounds through it since January using a range of ammo brands and it's been faultless. The only issues I've had are a few cycling issues while I sorted out my reloads.

The only thing I would like to change is the trigger, even with my minimal experience I can see that it's less than ideal. Very spongy and a very long take up.

My 2c worth anyway. Good luck!

Hollywood
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by dpskipper » 07 Nov 2016, 4:53 pm

Hollywood wrote:I bought my first handgun in January this year and went with a S&W M&P. I bought the C.O.R.E. model with the slide already cut for a sight so threw a Leopold red dot on it. Now I certainly don't claim to have the experience of the other forum contributors here but I'm very happy with it.

I've put 4500 rounds through it since January using a range of ammo brands and it's been faultless. The only issues I've had are a few cycling issues while I sorted out my reloads.

The only thing I would like to change is the trigger, even with my minimal experience I can see that it's less than ideal. Very spongy and a very long take up.

Omg what an aweosme looking gun! *Drools* I've always wanted a 9mm. How does the Leupold sight look? What situations would warrant using a red dot? I'm short sighted in my left eye, and being a lefty have to use a scope on any gun I want to shoot, since the iron sights are just a blur.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Hollywood » 07 Nov 2016, 10:37 pm

The red dot was just a Christmas present to myself! It's obviously easier to use than iron sights if you have eye issues as you only have to focus through the sight onto your target and the red dot is in focus too.

The size of the dot in the lower pic is more representative of what I see, the dot in the top pic is smaller than it actually appears to me.

Hollywood
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 08 Nov 2016, 2:33 am

Hollywood wrote:I bought my first handgun in January this year and went with a S&W M&P. I bought the C.O.R.E. model with the slide already cut for a sight so threw a Leopold red dot on it. Now I certainly don't claim to have the experience of the other forum contributors here but I'm very happy with it.

You could try an apex trigger in it. Not cheap though but are highly regarded in the US from what have read about.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Hollywood » 08 Nov 2016, 7:03 am

Have been trying to get one for the last six months!
Hollywood
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by dpskipper » 08 Nov 2016, 9:43 am

Hollywood wrote:The red dot was just a Christmas present to myself! It's obviously easier to use than iron sights if you have eye issues as you only have to focus through the sight onto your target and the red dot is in focus too.

The size of the dot in the lower pic is more representative of what I see, the dot in the top pic is smaller than it actually appears to me.

Thanks mate!
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by OODAH » 08 Nov 2016, 1:41 pm

Organised a few more 9mm's to try in a couple of weeks. Got to handle a CZ SP01 shadow orange the other day. I like it better then the shadow 2, the STI 2011 has fit in my hand the nicest so far but a little out of my price range.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Cryptic » 08 Nov 2016, 8:37 pm

Hollywood wrote:Have been trying to get one for the last six months!

Pba imports has them listed on their site as awaiting us export if that helps.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Hollywood » 08 Nov 2016, 10:20 pm

Pba imports has them listed on their site as awaiting us export if that helps.

It's been saying that for at least six months I think!
Hollywood
Private
Private

Queensland

Next

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers