Accurate .22 Pistol

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Re: Accurate .22 Pistol

Post by Wylie27 » 26 Sep 2016, 2:50 pm

Hey Boo where are you located again?

If near Sydney, I have the PPQ M2 .22 competition you can try out..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Boo » 26 Sep 2016, 8:24 pm

Nowhere near Sydney unfortunately Wylie27, thankyou for your kind offer though. Yours is the one I think I'll get, how do you find the accuracy, good enough for a newbie one handed at 25 and 50 meters?
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 26 Sep 2016, 8:40 pm

It's accurate.. it's not a hamerli or anything like that.. particularly at 25.

It is about as accurate as my ruger mk3 was
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Boo » 26 Sep 2016, 9:45 pm

That will do me then.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Boo » 04 Oct 2016, 10:21 am

To be a bit sensible the Beretta 87 Target and the Hammerli E-esse have been included in the short list together with the Walther PPQ .22. The Beretta has a bad trigger reputation, the E-esse has occasional operating problems while the Walther seems almost, err, bullet proof. Any experiences with any of these are welcome, I understand that the Walther will not be quite as accurate as the other two but seeing that the choice will be my only gun for a year reliability and fun are important.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 04 Oct 2016, 11:50 am

Boo wrote:To be a bit sensible the Beretta 87 Target and the Hammerli E-esse have been included in the short list together with the Walther PPQ .22. The Beretta has a bad trigger reputation, the E-esse has occasional operating problems while the Walther seems almost, err, bullet proof. Any experiences with any of these are welcome, I understand that the Walther will not be quite as accurate as the other two but seeing that the choice will be my only gun for a year reliability and fun are important.

What have you heard about the Beretta Triggers? The one I have seems good so far, a little on the heavy side for my liking but beaks crisp and consistent. I'll do some Googling on improving the Beretta trigger as I'd like it a bit lighter. I'm yet to try the 22LR Conversion on my Kimber to see how it compares, will test it tomorrow night as I like the idea of dual purpose firearms :)

IMG_2692.JPG
IMG_2692.JPG (250.72 KiB) Viewed 9083 times

IMG_2694.JPG
IMG_2694.JPG (212.15 KiB) Viewed 9083 times

IMG_2693.JPG
IMG_2693.JPG (206.77 KiB) Viewed 9083 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Boo » 04 Oct 2016, 2:15 pm

Americans say that the 87's trigger pull is long and vague basically and the only real fix is to substitute the trigger from another model. Emailed Beretta today asking them had the 87's trigger design been changed recently, this complaint has been going on for years now so it does seem that there is some sort of substance to it. I like the idea of the Beretta but the trigger question does have me concerned.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 04 Oct 2016, 10:03 pm

Boo wrote:Americans say that the 87's trigger pull is long and vague basically and the only real fix is to substitute the trigger from another model. Emailed Beretta today asking them had the 87's trigger design been changed recently, this complaint has been going on for years now so it does seem that there is some sort of substance to it. I like the idea of the Beretta but the trigger question does have me concerned.

I did some reading and there's plenty on the trigger having too much creep and over travel. I wasn't conscious of this till you raised it so I'll keep this in mind when I shoot tomorrow night though it doesn't seem to detract from my scores at this stage.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Boo » 05 Oct 2016, 8:21 am

Sorry to have mentioned it in the first place Brett, now you will be conscious of it. Hope you are still happy with it, let us know.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Spudman75 » 05 Oct 2016, 9:55 pm

Check out the S&W Model 41, beautiful.
Spudman75
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 05 Oct 2016, 11:09 pm

Shot Rimfire Silhouette tonight at St Mary's with he Beretta 87 and managed to top score (23) 2nd comp in a row and beat my previous best of 19. I headed over to range B after the comp to shoot some 460 reloads I'm working on, Some 10mm as well before slapping the 22LR conversion onto the Kimber 1911. First rounds were painful, wouldn't eject or stovepiped using Lapua Centre X LRN std velocity ammo which shoots very well in the Beretta. A quick trip to the counter "Gimme a box of the hottest fasterest 22LR you have please", "CCI Stinger" in hand the problem was gone, perfect cycling and surprisingly good accuracy though only tested at 10m. As a FYI this ammo is much louder then I'd expect from a 22LR cartridge. If I can find a round equally as "Hot" in LRN I'll have a go next comp and see if I can beat the Beretta's performance.

P.S. I was too focused on smashing the bloody chickens I forgot to study the trigger feel...

IMG_2713.JPG
10 @ 10m Kimber 1911 with 22LR Conversion Kit
IMG_2713.JPG (99.38 KiB) Viewed 9060 times

A little tweaking of seating depth, crimp should tighten this group a bit more. Very happy with this load, shot better then most of the guys did with their rifles tonight.
IMG_2707.JPG
5 @ 50m 460XVR
IMG_2707.JPG (147.44 KiB) Viewed 9060 times
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Boo » 07 Oct 2016, 8:14 am

That's good result from the Beretta Brett, nice work.

On the PPQ M2, through a lot of research a little bit of info on the inherent accuracy of the 5"er is coming through, unfortunately for all the 'reviews' made virtually none address this important issue, most involve someone banging away at various targets using various makes of ammo with no attempt at any objective accuracy test. Basically I've decided to compare the X-esse and the 87 with the PPQ on the assumption that if the PPQ is behind on accuracy then it won't be by much. Beretta have basically told me that the 87 is named as a target pistol because of it's barrel length and if I want a better trigger then I'll have to go to a purpose made target gun. That's something I don't accept.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Boo » 10 Oct 2016, 7:59 am

Found an accuracy test on the PPQ, the shooter managed two ten shot groups in the 10 ring of an ISSF target at 25 meters. Not sure what an ISSF target is but that sounds pretty good to me.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 10 Oct 2016, 10:25 am

I use a proper pistol rest when testing ammo so I can eliminate me from the results (cause I suck). I took the red dot off the Ruger MkIII over the weekend so ill take it out tomorrow night and put several different types of ammo through it using the rest. I originally favoured the Beretta due to the sights being more friendly on my eyes but now with the new glasses the Ruger's are just as clear so I'll give it another crack and see if it matches the Beretta.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Boo » 14 Oct 2016, 8:32 am

The list has been expanded by adding the Tanfoglio Force 22L, a CZ75 clone and apparently a very good one http://www.tanfoglio.com.au/c/125/force.html Similar concept to the Walther PPQ 22, a full size .22 version of a larger calibre pistol.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Boo » 17 Oct 2016, 3:05 pm

Spoke with the Tanfaglio importer re the Force 22L, he did not recommend the 22 for target shooting, the centre fire ones yes but not the 22. I appreciate their honesty, it's people like that who I would like to do business with. So the Force 22L is off the list but the S&W 22A is on, similar bolt system to the Ruger Mark's I'm told with non reciprocating back sights.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Boo » 27 Oct 2016, 3:00 pm

Ended up putting a deposit down on a Browning Buck Mark Lite URX 5.5" barrel http://www.browning.com/products/firear ... ction.html Should have it in two or so weeks. The short list also included the Beretta 87 Target and Walther PPQ, both of which I liked but for practical reasons the Buck Mark won. Was a bit surprised about how narrow all the grips were, the Buck Mark had the most suitable grip but I'm thinking of using some sort of grippy tape to wind around the grip to bulk it out.

Any grip tape recommendations?
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Boo » 02 Sep 2017, 4:51 pm

After a lot of messing around I did end up with a Buck Mark but have never enjoyed shooting it. Couldn't work out why and am still not sure but it just does not feel right in the hand, I would prefer a straighter grip. Of the new pistols around the Walther PPQ 22 with the 5" barrel looks promising but I have yet to handle one. Can anyone comment on the PPQ?

The other thing is I don't want to own more than one pistol at this time so I guess the idea is to advertise the Buck Mark for sale and continue to use it until sold. Perhaps put a deposit on say the Walther so there will be no hold up due to unavailability when the time comes. Is this the best way to swap over? Gratuitous pic of the Buck Mark.

DSCN0444.JPG
DSCN0444.JPG (409.08 KiB) Viewed 6456 times
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by SHANAKATAK » 02 Sep 2017, 11:21 pm

@Brett1868

Try cci mini-mags for the conversion kit. I've got a Kimber rimfire and another bloke I know has a conversion kit on his 45. They run fine and generally are cheaper and quieter than stingers.
SHANAKATAK
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Boo » 07 Sep 2017, 10:16 am

The Buck Mark is sold so what do I get now? Probably a used Walther PPQ M2 if the ergonomics suit. Used is best until I find the gun that's right for me, the Grand Power looks good too but I've never seen a used one for sale and I'm a bit annoyed that to get the best trigger and sights that model jumps in price. This sort of marketing ploy, where the extras you get are way more expensive than they should be, tends to turn me off.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 07 Sep 2017, 10:22 am

SHANAKATAK wrote:@Brett1868

Try cci mini-mags for the conversion kit. I've got a Kimber rimfire and another bloke I know has a conversion kit on his 45. They run fine and generally are cheaper and quieter than stingers.

Cool, thanks for the heads up and ill give them a go :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 07 Sep 2017, 10:49 am

Hey Brett, what is your overall opinion of your Kimber? I have one waiting at my dealer. Bought it as I had shot a couple of different ones belonging to mates. ( .45 and 9mm ) Just like the fit and feel in my hand. Accuracy of the .45 was awesome, was hitting 50m lever-gun pig silhouettes with it!
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bullzeye » 11 Sep 2017, 7:21 pm

Try a Smith and Wesson 22A. They don't make these guns anymore but you should be able to pick one up second hand. Reliable, easy to use and accurate semi-auto 22.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 11 Sep 2017, 8:51 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Hey Brett, what is your overall opinion of your Kimber? I have one waiting at my dealer. Bought it as I had shot a couple of different ones belonging to mates. ( .45 and 9mm ) Just like the fit and feel in my hand. Accuracy of the .45 was awesome, was hitting 50m lever-gun pig silhouettes with it!

I really like the Kimber, it wasn't a brand I was familiar with till I saw one in the shop. Quality is similar to Colt or a fraction better and as it was on special the price was very good. Mine is chambered in 10mm which isn't what I'd call a popular caliber, they can be found but I'm yet to see anyone besides myself that has one. The conversion is a good fit as it should be since it's the same manufacturer and my only gripe is that it doesn't lock the slide open on the last shot. I'll take the suggestion a couple posts back and try the CCI Mini Mags it when I get a chance. If you can get to St Marys on a Monday night or Saturday morning I can bring it along so you can check it out for yourself and if you have High Cal permit all the better :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 12 Sep 2017, 10:01 am

It's already a done deal. Just waiting out my probation period so I can send in the PTA. Mine is in 9mm and comes with the factory .22 conversion kit as well.
I was just curious to see what your experiences were. I haven't fired one with the .22 conversion, I shot a few different .22 pistols in the U.S and was just wondering what to expect out of the Kimber. Considering your collection of pistols, I thought you'd have a balanced opinion on the gun.
St Marys is about a 5 & 1/2 hour drive, so thanks for the offer but no thanks. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Justin9mm » 12 Sep 2017, 9:53 pm

Boo wrote:Have pretty well boiled my choice down to between two 5" barrel Walthers, the PPQ M2 and the P22Q. Would have preferred an American poly using bits made of proper metal but all their barrels are too short and I have no confidence in the accuracy of the longer light PacSol barrels for the Buck Mark and various Rugers, all the solid metal ones are too heavy except the old S&W 422 which I'm reluctantly disregarding due to questionable parts availability. With just one gun for 12 months I don't want to be stuck waiting for parts.

So it will likely be the lighter and cheaper P22Q unless the PPQ is more accurate.

When I first read your post about dismissing the Walther because of being made of monkey metal, I was thinking you were making a big mistake lol.. I think in that sort of price range, the .22 Walther's are up there in terms of quality and accuracy. The PPQ is a better and more accurate pistol FYI. But I think for a 22, both are good choices!

I'm about to go on my full license and I've been shooting .22 and 9mm extensively, basically every week since I've had my provisional, so nearly 6 months. I was planning my first pistol to be the Walther PPQ 22 because ammo is cheap and better to start on 22 yada yada. But to be honest, I'm as accurate with a 9mm now as I am with the 22. Once you have that trigger control, I don't think it's vastly different. So my PTA is going in for a Heckler and Koch VP9. Yes ammo is more expensive but 9mm pistols are a lot more fun and I'll be also shooting IPSC with it.

Also I believe in VIC, if you buy a rimfire as your first pistol, you can't buy a higher caliber for 12 months. But if I buy a 9mm as my first, I can go down a caliber and buy a 22 after 6 months as my second gun which I plan to do.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 13 Sep 2017, 6:59 am

PPQ i have one in my safe.

It is accurate Pistol for about 20 shots, after which the paper thin barrel gets too hot and accuracy declines.

It's manageable during plinking but in comps it can become a problem.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Boo » 13 Sep 2017, 9:48 am

Have bought a PPQ, the PTA is going to describe it's use as a trainer, hopefully it will suit me enough to improve my accuracy and general competence. I've always wondered about those two piece tensioned Walther barrels, there seems to be nothing around on how tight the nut should be.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Boo » 13 Sep 2017, 11:50 am

Might add that the PPQ is not made of monkey metal, the cheaper P22 is.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Next

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers