Most common CAT H Handguns?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Most common CAT H Handguns?

Post by Gun-nut » 14 Oct 2016, 11:37 pm

Any CAT H shooters here? Just wondering what handguns you most commonly come across while at the range. Glock's? Beretta's? CZ's? etc.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Most common CAT H Handguns?

Post by GLS_1956 » 15 Oct 2016, 1:18 am

I don't know what CAT H is, here in the USA we just have handguns for the most part, some anti-freedom states do restrict ammo capacity and other features. But amongst the shooters I know here in Oklahoma have at least one Ruger Autoloader in 22LR with Browning's Buckmark being second, after that you'll find many, many, brands.

For centerfire with polymer frames Glock rules the roost with maybe S&W's offerings next. I don't own a Polly-Pistol so I don't see that many around. Metal framed guns the 1911 genre is top dog with SIG's being next.

Revolvers it is Ruger number 1 in rimfire and centerfire with S&W and Taurus following.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by No1Mk3 » 15 Oct 2016, 3:43 am

G'day Gun-nut,
Depends on what discipline is being shot, SASS you will see mainly Uberti and Pietta 1873 SAA with a smattering of Colts, CSD mainly S&W 686/586 for revolver and Beretta 92/Colt 1911 for auto. Field Pistol Metallic sees the 44Mag Ruger Redhawks dominating Anacondas and Model 29's and so on.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Oct 2016, 5:39 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Gun-nut,
Depends on what discipline is being shot, SASS you will see mainly Uberti and Pietta 1873 SAA with a smattering of Colts, CSD mainly S&W 686/586 for revolver and Beretta 92/Colt 1911 for auto. Field Pistol Metallic sees the 44Mag Ruger Redhawks dominating Anacondas and Model 29's and so on.

I shot IPSC before Glocks became common here, and I've only shot non-IPSC a handful of times when I was away from home and needed to fit in a one-in-eight shoot.
I think the CZ75/85 and 1911's were the most common combat handguns.
Para Ordnance double-stack 1911's were the go for race guns in .38 Super.
Then a smattering of S&W autos, HiPowers, Beretta 92's, etc.
Revolvers were mostly S&W and Rugers from what I saw.

I'm thinking of getting back into pistol shooting, though I think I'm burnt out with IPSC for now.
I'd like to get myself a Ruger Mk2, a HiPower, a Model 27 or 29 and some sort of SAA for Cowboy, probably the Ruger Vaquero.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 15 Oct 2016, 10:15 am

Each discipline seems to have a different preferred pistol though most of the pistols I see are of the CZ variety.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by andreweden » 15 Oct 2016, 7:04 pm

Love my Sig p226.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 15 Oct 2016, 8:51 pm

Locally in 1911s I see a lot of STI, Sig sauer, MAC and desert eagle. A vast number of CZ and glock in IPSC and a few walthers about. Plenty of 22 ruger mark iii and gsg/colt 1911 22s. Dont see many revolvers, I have a gp100 revolver I love and debating if my next will be another revolver in higher cal permit or if I will get a 1911 or striker pistol.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by jeff80 » 21 Oct 2016, 9:57 am

My range only allows bullseye pistol shooting so the most common handguns are Ruger Mark II/III and Browning Buckmarks, plus a few Ruger Single Sixes.
jeff80
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lokvo » 22 Oct 2016, 11:04 am

I'm still VERY far away (like 6 months) from obtaining my H license but I've been looking at buckmark. All the guns at my pistol club seem to be Ruger Mark's (I-III) and a smattering of expensive target style Walther's. Hopefully the Ruger Mark IV will be available in Australia by the time I get my H license, if not the buckmark is going to be it most likely.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by yowie » 02 Dec 2016, 8:40 am

All depends on what disciples you are shooting, I only shoot precision stuff but S@W Revolvers are fairly popular to start in C/F matches, And Ruger's are fairly popular for 22's (I'm not a big fan of Buckmark's) After that you can move onto the more expensive gear. My best 22 score is still with an old Margolin 22 i bought for $200.
yowie
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by heeple » 05 Dec 2016, 3:05 pm

brett1868 wrote:Each discipline seems to have a different preferred pistol though most of the pistols I see are of the CZ variety.

I'd say the same at Springvale here.
Remingtion 700 XCR in 7mm-08
Winchester 94 in 30-30
Ruger 77/22 in 22LR
heeple
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ItsMe » 06 Dec 2016, 8:07 am

We have a mix of CZ, STI, Glock, Kimber that I can identify and a bunch of others that I cannot.

Mine's a CZ Shadow 2 and it's one of about 6 that I know of. It seems a lot of folks updated from their SP-01 Shadow to the S2.
ItsMe
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Aussier » 06 Dec 2016, 12:28 pm

Revolvers seem to be making a bit of a come back I'm noticing?
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Cryptic » 07 Dec 2016, 5:40 am

Aussier wrote:Revolvers seem to be making a bit of a come back I'm noticing?

My 1st purchase was revolver a gp100. Still torn on getting a semi auto next or another revolver. Either a s&w classic 44 or the evil 460xvr.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 07 Dec 2016, 7:10 am

ItsMe wrote:We have a mix of CZ, STI, Glock, Kimber that I can identify and a bunch of others that I cannot.

Mine's a CZ Shadow 2 and it's one of about 6 that I know of. It seems a lot of folks updated from their SP-01 Shadow to the S2.

Were you shooting at St Mary's a couple weeks back with a young lady?
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 07 Dec 2016, 7:19 am

Simon Taranto from the St Mary's club uses a revolver for service pistol and has done very well in comps around the state. You don't need a flash auto to be competitive in many disciplines and Simon is more then willing to share his knowledge with beginners.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by EvoXNS » 07 Dec 2016, 7:44 am

Howdy all, I'm about to take delivery of my first pistol, a CZ SP-01 Shadow 2. I shoot match but I plan to shoot IPSC once I hone my skills a bit more. Other semi-autos at my club include STI (I think target master), 686 revolvers, various walther target pistols etc. I think CZ's are very common around the traps.
EvoXNS
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 07 Dec 2016, 10:53 pm

Cryptic wrote:

My 1st purchase was revolver a gp100. Still torn on getting a semi auto next or another revolver. Either a s&w classic 44 or the evil 460xvr.

Thought being a Queenslander you'd go a 500S&W Magnum :) I've got the 8 3/8" 460XVR and it's great at pissing off other shooters at the range, even had a couple guys leave complaining about the noise once. Maybe combine both wishes and get a Desert Eagle 50AE :D

The muzzle flash of the 460 is awesome at indoor ranges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu5kdVsqM5s
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Cryptic » 08 Dec 2016, 7:34 am

brett1868 wrote:
Cryptic wrote:

Thought being a Queenslander you'd go a 500S&W Magnum :) I've got the 8 3/8" 460XVR and it's great at pissing off other shooters at the range, even had a couple guys leave complaining about the noise once. Maybe combine both wishes and get a Desert Eagle 50AE :D

QLD are not allowed 500 s&w or the 50AE unless on an armourers lic or gallery. Sort of leaning more to the 460 so can do 45LC on the light end for indoors and the 460 or 454 for outdoor Metallic. Put my 357 next to the Hillcrest ranges 500S&W and it made mine look like a compact :lol:

I have seen your original post and shown that video and the one of the guy firing the 14inch one to a few people over time they just say WTF.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by EvoXNS » 09 Dec 2016, 9:39 am

brett1868 wrote:
Cryptic wrote:

Awesome vid of the 460 muzzle flash, thanks for sharing!

I believe the guy had the Desert Eagle there as well
EvoXNS
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 09 Dec 2016, 9:55 am

Awesome vid of the 460 muzzle flash, thanks for sharing!

I believe the guy had the Desert Eagle there as well

Correct, I did have a 44 Desert Eagle and the others are a 5" Korth PRS 45ACP and Colt Gold Cup 45ACP :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers