Best ammo for Glock 19 practice and defence?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Best ammo for Glock 19 practice and defence?

Post by gunnerjacky » 30 Nov 2016, 9:19 am

Hey guys, I recently got a Glock 19 recently and was wondering if someone might be able to offer advice on the following uses

-"best" ammo for simple range practice

-"best" ammo for Concealed Carry and Home Defense

Thanks
Learning firearms from Boston Firearms Training School
gunnerjacky
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Re: Best ammo for Glock 19 practice and defence?

Post by Baronvonrort » 30 Nov 2016, 9:55 am

We are not allowed to have guns for self defence since Howard outlawed it with our 1996 gun laws.

The Glock 19 has a 102mm barrel length so not allowed for recreational shooting here as 120mm is the minimum barrel length for semi auto pistols the laws were changed after the Monash University shooting.

Police and security guards are the only people who can legally have semi auto pistols with barrels shorter than 120mm and they are restricted to business use only.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by agentzero » 05 Dec 2016, 2:09 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:We are not allowed to have guns for self defence since Howard outlawed it with our 1996 gun laws.

Or anything for the explicit purpose of self defence.

Jack, unfortunately an Australian forum isn't going to yield much first hand experience with such thing as no ammunition designed or marketed as being for self defence specifically is sold here.
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 05 Dec 2016, 4:33 pm

agentzero wrote:Jack, unfortunately an Australian forum isn't going to yield much first hand experience with such thing as no ammunition designed or marketed as being for self defence specifically is sold here.

I've seen "personal defence" ammunition here.
Winchester PDX1 and SXZ.
Hornady Critical Defence, TAP FPD and Urban Tactical
Federal Personal Defence
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 05 Dec 2016, 5:35 pm

gunnerjacky wrote:Hey guys, I recently got a Glock 19 recently and was wondering if someone might be able to offer advice on the following uses

Thanks

Hey Jack: I'm also an American and while I've got a 9mm, Browning Hi-Power, I don't carry it for defense, yet. But I do carry on a rotating basis several other handguns. In my 1911 I carry Remington's HTP or Golden Saber ammunition in 230 gr. I practice with Remington's 230 gr ball ammo. The 38 snub nose carries Hornady's 125 gr XTP and I use Remington's 130 gr FMJ for practice. The 22 WMR gets Hornady's 45 gr FTX for both carry and practice.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 05 Dec 2016, 8:08 pm

I've always been of the opinion that you make the practise as close to real as possible so why 2 different ammo type required? Practise the self defence aspect with the ammo you intend to defend yourself with. If cost is part of the picture then get proficient with both types then alternate the training cause when the Zombies rise you may only have access to one type :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by agentzero » 06 Dec 2016, 12:36 pm

bladeracer wrote:I've seen "personal defence" ammunition here.

Well I stand corrected.
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by deye243 » 06 Dec 2016, 11:36 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:
gunnerjacky wrote:Hey guys, I recently got a Glock 19 recently and was wondering if someone might be able to offer advice on the following uses

Thanks

Hey Jack: I'm also an American and while I've got a 9mm, Browning Hi-Power, I don't carry it for defense, yet. But I do carry on a rotating basis several other handguns. In my 1911 I carry Remington's HTP or Golden Saber ammunition in 230 gr. I practice with Remington's 230 gr ball ammo. The 38 snub nose carries Hornady's 125 gr XTP and I use Remington's 130 gr FMJ for practice. The 22 WMR gets Hornady's 45 gr FTX for both carry and practice.

you beat me to it Golden Saber or federal hydra shok
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wobble » 07 Dec 2016, 12:16 pm

brett1868 wrote:when the Zombies rise you may only have access to one type :)

Don't forget to practice with your sharp stick as well.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers