Where we ever allowed concealed carry, a pistol just because

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Where we ever allowed concealed carry, a pistol just because

Post by crush » 16 Dec 2016, 3:31 pm

One for the older guys.

Back before the gun grab and everything that's come since were we ever allowed to just carry a pistol for recreation or defence?

Without having to have a 'genuine reason ' and the rest like it's been for years.

Anyone old enough to have just had a pistol because they wanted one and not owe any body an explanation?
crush
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Where we ever allowed concealed carry, a pistol just bec

Post by bladeracer » 16 Dec 2016, 3:46 pm

crush wrote:One for the older guys.

Back before the gun grab and everything that's come since were we ever allowed to just carry a pistol for recreation or defence?

Without having to have a 'genuine reason ' and the rest like it's been for years.

Anyone old enough to have just had a pistol because they wanted one and not owe any body an explanation?

I have known three civilians that carried legally, all in WA.
One is a well known pawnbroker/jeweler.
One was a private investigator, probably long-retired now.
The third was an old guy that was pretty proud of his carry licence and open carried a tiny Saturday Night Special. I can't recall what his reason was as it was back in the early nineties and he'd be long dead now. Every time I saw him it just looked like it was begging to be stolen, not that it would've been much good to anybody that actually felt they needed a handgun.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 16 Dec 2016, 6:07 pm

Before I was born, but there was a time when you could carry a pistol, no license required until just after WW2.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by brett1868 » 16 Dec 2016, 7:35 pm

Short answer is no, long answer is that yes you could have a pistol for personal protection provided you could justify it and did the paperwork. For an individual the registry had the 1A license category which was like unicorn crap but I managed to get one approved and renewed for several years. I never left home unarmed for 4 years and nobody had a clue that I was carrying. For those that might be thinking I'm full of 5h1t check below.
1A.JPG
1A.JPG (88.7 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 17 Dec 2016, 12:59 am

Well, I can't go too far back but in the early 1970's for a number of years I had a Pistol Licence and it was issued Target Use. It used to live at home in a Briefcase in the clothes cupboard, I used to travel to work mostly using public transport carrying that briefcase until I was advised that wasn't the safest way as the briefcase could be snatched for any reason pretty easy so I then carried it in a shoulder holster.

Working in a bank it was locked in a safe during the working day.

I was licenced to have it at home, transport it to a range and back home. No further or for any other purpose other than target shooting. I always wanted to take it to a farm I visited but that was forbidden by law. Some bank staff (tellers) had a pistol under the counter, as did the bank manager but they were licenced only for within the bank premesis... some got in a huge amount of trouble when they chased a robber into the street and actually fired some rounds. Big trouble...

I also had to produce my licence in order to purchase pistol amminition most times.

In the late 1960's I used to carry a revolver during bank work days. I was one of two people who used to travel from the city to the international airport and pickup bags of cash. We travelled in two taxis, both of us armed. The cash was being sent from an overseas bank to ours as a currency exchange of aussie dollars, like several hundreds of thousands of currency notes in a sealed cloth bag. Then our job was to count it, locked in a caged vault and verify the contents... Boy, the authorities would freak out if that happened these days. Perhaps the taxi drivers might have also freaked out if they knew what they were carrying and why they didn't question the idea that they had to exactly follow each other I have no idea. I did not have a pistol licence back then, it was under the banks general licence.

Other than as mentioned as a Pawn Broker I don't know anyone that had what is referred to as general carry back in those days.

Brett makes me think. Since I have all my pay slips and tax returns from way back when I first ever started work in the 1960's, I wonder if in there is my old pistol licence. Might have a look one day.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 17 Dec 2016, 6:53 am

In VIC, handguns were regulated for the first time after WW1...in 1921, maybe due to the number of 'bring backs' and trophies?? where permit and registration for pistols (barrel to 9inch) was legislated....required was a 'good reason' test (sound familiar),

I would assume that reason could be sport or self defence, vermin control, Vet's use, farmers possibly.

it wasnt until 96 that self defence was specifically excluded, though the commissioner can ok anything in accordance or otherwise with the FA/FR.(retained a discretion)... so I'm sure there are (many?) examples of handgun licenses issues for self defence currently, where individuals demonstrate a need (death threats/high profile).... not for the plebs of course.

Noteworthy is that handguns have been highly regulated for OVER 90 years... yet theyre still a "problem" - that tells you something about the effectiveness of gun control laws, and how they dont apply to those who they should apply to....

So yes.... in VIC until '21, there was zero handgun regulation. There WERE only laws controlling punt guns and 'pea' and 'saloon' guns for minors...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by duncan61 » 17 Dec 2016, 12:22 pm

Good story Apollo.I was looking at getting a pair of Ruger black hawks in .357 mag till I got in a bit of trouble over some land up north.Last I heard was even the pro croc guy in the NT had to hand in
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 17 Dec 2016, 12:24 pm

My safari man used to have a 6 gun in .22.gangs of fun but he had to hand in
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Dec 2016, 2:24 pm

The crims have got it sussed out, don't ask for permission and you can carry what you want when you want.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by agentzero » 19 Dec 2016, 12:52 pm

bigfellascott wrote:The crims have got it sussed out, don't ask for permission and you can carry what you want when you want.

Not a team I'm willing to join in order to have a pistol though :|
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers