First PTA - question

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

First PTA - question

Post by oldmateadz » 19 Dec 2016, 9:33 pm

Hey guys,

How long does a cat H PTA usually take to process in NSW? I sent my PTA application off about 2 weeks ago, and I checked my licence today on the website and there's no PTA there yet.

I know there's the waiting period and all that after they've processed it... but it seems as though they haven't even put it in yet. They haven't charged me the 30 bucks yet either.
My cat a/b PTA was processed and in the system the same day they received it, then 28 days later... it was issued. No dramas. So this is making me think that they've lost my cat H one, or never received it.

This is my first cat h PTA, I'm in my second half the probation period.
Keep on Shootin'!
oldmateadz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: First PTA - question

Post by brett1868 » 19 Dec 2016, 10:34 pm

Something doesn't seem right if they're not on the system by now but they are swamped at the moment. Quite possibly they are down on staff due to the Christmas holidays which will cause some delay.

I sent off a few mid November, the pistol ones took 12days to process where as the rifle was a mere 5. I always send via Express Post using the B5 envelopes so I know when they get there. It appears that they date stamp the applications on arrival but the actual start of processing might take sometime.

Give the registry a call tomorrow and see if they can find the forms cause given the volume of Christmas mail it's possible they got lost. Did you or the club send them off?

Track.JPG
Track.JPG (40.69 KiB) Viewed 5657 times

PTA_1.JPG
PTA_1.JPG (34.99 KiB) Viewed 5657 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by oldmateadz » 19 Dec 2016, 10:49 pm

I tried to call today, but I was in a queue of 27 people (it actually tells you how many people in the queue) and didn't have the time to wait. But yeah, I'll try again tomorrow I guess.

I sent it all off myself. I print the addresses straight onto the envelopes, so I know it's not because of a handwriting error.
I like the express post method you use though, I'll definitely do that for future PTAs.

Makes me a bit sad, because the first half of the probation period was long enough as it was, now all of this stuffing around and extra waiting!
Keep on Shootin'!
oldmateadz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 19 Dec 2016, 11:09 pm

Get onto them first thing in the morning before the queue builds, 27 in line is massive as the most I've had is 5. Theoretically you should be almost half way through the 28 day waiting period so I hope they're in the system and just being slow to update.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by oldmateadz » 20 Dec 2016, 2:04 am

brett1868 wrote:Get onto them first thing in the morning before the queue builds, 27 in line is massive as the most I've had is 5. Theoretically you should be almost half way through the 28 day waiting period so I hope they're in the system and just being slow to update.

Just checked my Internet banking and it finally popped up, they took the $30 on the 16th of Dec. So they definitely got it, but it's still been 4 days since... and it's not up in the system. I might just wait a couple of days and check again.

All future PTAs will be going express post though. Thanks for that idea mate.
Keep on Shootin'!
oldmateadz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 20 Dec 2016, 5:04 am

Oldmatez,

they are swamped.. it took 3 weeks for a rifle PTA to come through.. that was the beginning of the month.

A couple of gun shops have told me of late the PTA's are taking up to a month to come through.

I am waiting on a Cat H PTA at the moment.. Not holding my breath that i will see it before the new year.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by oldmateadz » 20 Dec 2016, 9:11 am

Wylie27 wrote:Oldmatez,

they are swamped.. it took 3 weeks for a rifle PTA to come through.. that was the beginning of the month.

A couple of gun shops have told me of late the PTA's are taking up to a month to come through.

I am waiting on a Cat H PTA at the moment.. Not holding my breath that i will see it before the new year.

So they took your money, then it took 3 weeks before it even went up in the system? Assuming you had the 4 week waiting period, it's gonna be close to 7 weeks before you see that PTA? :o

I was chatting to my local dealer the other day when I picked up my rifle, and he was saying that we have one of the worst registries in the country. Small and understaffed, never been able to keep up with the demand. And it's only getting worse with the influx of new shooters.

What a shame.
Keep on Shootin'!
oldmateadz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 20 Dec 2016, 10:12 am

Sorry no I did t have the 4 week wait.. it took 3 weeks.

To be fair I have no idea when they took my money.. I don't look for the transaction as well it just happens.

I have been told the delay is because staff are working on the new PTA system rather than processing PTA's
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by oldmateadz » 20 Dec 2016, 10:14 am

Finally.
Cheers for the all replies guys. I guess patience is a must when dealing with the Registry.

Keep on Shootin'!
oldmateadz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 20 Dec 2016, 4:20 pm

Good they back dated it to the 14/12 so hopefully in the mail box around the 11/1. Can I ask why only the 1 PTA and a rimfire at that? Better option would be to submit 2 for centre fire cause there's more comps for them and you can generally borrow a 22 for others.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by oldmateadz » 20 Dec 2016, 9:13 pm

brett1868 wrote:Good they back dated it to the 14/12 so hopefully in the mail box around the 11/1. Can I ask why only the 1 PTA and a rimfire at that? Better option would be to submit 2 for centre fire cause there's more comps for them and you can generally borrow a 22 for others.

I just went by the recommendation of the club captains, they suggested a .22 target pistol for the first one. I shoot more .22 comps than centrefire at the moment too, and the club .22 guns are atrocious. Come May 2017, I'll be sending off 3 or 4 PTAs for a range of centrefire pistols, as my probation period will be over.

I really don't understand why you can't own a rimfire and a centrefire at the same time. I don't get their logic behind it.
Keep on Shootin'!
oldmateadz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 21 Dec 2016, 12:09 am

oldmateadz wrote:[mI was chatting to my local dealer the other day when I picked up my rifle, and he was saying that we have one of the worst registries in the country.

Bahahahahahahahahaha....

You are joking, right?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigM » 24 Dec 2016, 12:05 pm

oldmateadz wrote:I really don't understand why you can't own a rimfire and a centrefire at the same time. I don't get their logic behind it.

But you can have 2 centrefires (or 2 rimfires) in the second 6 months in NSW.

Basically it was a mis-interpretation of the NFA by NSW law makers.
In some states you cannot have a centrefire in the second six months.

Yes it does not make sense but as the proper interpretation would be worse for us, lets not stir it up.

My first PTA (per class) usually take 6 weeks with subsequent ones taking 2 weeks.

Tricks for new players;

In NSW you can purchase a centirefire pistol and then purchase a rimfire conversion kit in the second 6 months.

You do not have a centrefire and a rimfire only a centrefire with 2 barrels.
Also you do not need a PTA for the conversion kit and you only have participation requirements for a centrefire pistol.
"Are you ready?"
bigM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by hobbit » 02 Feb 2017, 3:34 pm

bigM wrote:
oldmateadz wrote:
Tricks for new players;

In NSW you can purchase a centirefire pistol and then purchase a rimfire conversion kit in the second 6 months.

Also you do not need a PTA for the conversion kit and you only have participation requirements for a centrefire pistol.

Didn't the police come back saying that wasn't allowed?
hobbit
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 03 Feb 2017, 9:50 am

oldmateadz wrote:I really don't understand why you can't own a rimfire and a centrefire at the same time. I don't get their logic behind it.

I think you're confusing 'logic' with a bunch of morons who've never touched a firearm in their life deciding they know best because they've watched a hollywood movie.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigM » 03 Feb 2017, 10:17 pm

bigM wrote:Tricks for new players;

hobbit wrote:Didn't the police come back saying that wasn't allowed?

As in all things firearm related it depends on how you ask the question.
This is still legal in NSW. A friend did this in November.
"Are you ready?"
bigM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers