Revolver or semi style pistol your favourite?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Re: Revolver or semi style pistol your favourite?

Post by bladeracer » 10 Feb 2017, 2:35 am

A big advantage of revolvers is that you can load your ammo to suit different purposes.
Semi-auto's generally only function reliably within a limited window of bullet weight/velocities.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lokvo » 21 Feb 2017, 8:13 am

I don't have a cat H just yet so I've been shooting semi-auto's the majority of the time at the pistol club. I've shot a revolver a few times however and there's just something about them! they're kinda great!
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Keltec » 12 May 2017, 11:31 pm

Hmmm......
686 S&W stainless revolver with 4 way adjustable front sight in 357/38 favorite just fitted seeall sight
Keltec PMR 30 enjoyable to shoot but expensive to feed. Fussy ammo eater
Glock 34 with stainless barrel and comp fun and eats any brand of 9mm ammo
H&K USP expert 9mm reminds me of the good old days in ADF. Take camping in South Africa
Ruger 22/45 lite cheap to run. Fitted volquartsen race gear and Seeall sight. Tandemkross gear
Smooth and slick
Keltec
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Urastus » 03 Oct 2018, 1:42 pm

bladeracer wrote:A big advantage of revolvers is that you can load your ammo to suit different purposes.
Semi-auto's generally only function reliably within a limited window of bullet weight/velocities.

I think they'd be better as "work" guns too. Armed security guards and even police etc. There is no spring under tension all the time (as in the magazine). Guns that are carried around a lot and rarely used (except at the range). If there is any failure to fire, just keep going. No misfeeds or jams. Simplicity. And, they're ready to shoot with no extra actions.
Last edited by Urastus on 03 Oct 2018, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Cryptic » 03 Oct 2018, 4:11 pm

Urastus wrote:
bladeracer wrote:A big advantage of revolvers is that you can load your ammo to suit different purposes.

I think they'd be better as "work" guns too. Armed security guards and even police etc. There is no spring under tension all the time (as in the magazine). Guns that are carried around a lot and rarely used (except at the range). If there is any failure to fire, just keep going. No misfeeds or jams. Simplicity.

Not wise to keep going if you get a misfire in a revolver without checking. If it is a hangfire and you cycle the next round you're going to have a bad time.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Oct 2018, 5:47 pm

Cryptic wrote:Not wise to keep going if you get a misfire in a revolver without checking. If it is a hangfire and you cycle the next round you're going to have a bad time.

Autos have the same problem, if your gun don't go bang, don't pull the trigger again until you know the bore is clear.
This guy ignored every warning that there was a problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhgyJMhQFbA
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 03 Oct 2018, 6:01 pm

Most rural properties that have handguns around here, usually have a revolver.
Many have the Rugers with the interchangeable .22LR/.22WMR cylinders.

Being a bit different, I have a 1911-clone .45acp with a double-stack mag (12 rounds).
My first center-fire handgun was a Colt Anaconda, in .45LC. It had a Tasco Pro-Point scope on a QD setup, so it took about a minute to add the scope, if you needed it. Really nice monster to shoot, and nailed a fox for me one night, at ~75 yards. (Surprised both the fox and myself that night...)

Back over 10 years ago, I had to rationalise my handguns, and the appeal of the 1911 came for a number of reasons:

1). It was a lot more compact than a revolver, and therefore more easy to use off the bike. It might have been possible to go with a .357 revolver with a 4" barrel, but I reckon they look like crap.
2). The Galco 'Duty' holster I wear the 1911 in, tucks in above my hip, and has the gun up out of the way of the seat in the ute, but handy to use if needed. I havent seen a revolver holster that would fit into the same spot. (Probably is one available, but hard to get in Australia, I'll bet..)
3). The 12-round mags for the 1911 allow me to carry ~36 rounds if I'm wearing a twin-mag pouch on my belt, and still nowhere near as bulky as carrying the same in speed-loaders for the revolver.
4). While a .357 or suchlike would shoot further, for the average sort of distance I use handguns, the .45 works a treat on pigs etc.
5). A Ceiner .22 conversion gave me a .22LR option, whenever I want to go 'Lite'. (.45 is a bit messy for Toad-Phukking...)
6). I have the option of getting someone to make me up a 38/45 barrel at some stage, and have something vaguely resembling a .357Sig.
7). A 1911 is a pretty solid and reliable rig, if even given fairly basic TLC.
8). There are a LOT of accessories around for a 1911; even one of the double-stacks. Parts for revolvers are much more model-specific, and many models are impossible to source parts to fit(In Australia, anyway). Recently, I bought a compensator that plugs on instead of the standard barrel bush. Neat, works, and something I could fit in 10 minutes at home.
9). The extra 5 seconds to rack the slide on my empty 1911 has never made me yearn for earing the hammer back on a revolver. I prefer carrying it on an empty chamber.
10). I've never found the extra mag capacity on the 1911 has made me want to blaze away. My 1911 speaks with enough authority, that I tend to be peeking around after each shot, to see what the heck happened when I pulled the trigger that time...
11). CCI .45ACP shotshells give me something equivalent to a compact semi-auto .410 shotgun, which has been the bane of the odd Cat/Toad/Rabbit/Bitey snake over the years. Dont use them much, but freaking handy when you need them..

The nicest/sweetest handgun I've ever used was a mates Strayer Voight 2011 in .40Cal. Beautiful crisp trigger, and the all-alloy frame made the gun quick to point. I think it had 16-round mags, and was an absolute dream to shoot.

I'd also agree that I found a misfire in a revolver to be slightly more scarey than in the 1911. I can drop the rest of the ammo out of the 1911, while leaving the chamber locked(in case it's a hang-fire). Your only option to remove the rest of the ammo in the revolver, is to break it open.
I can see instances where a revolver might be a safer option, but mainly when there is more than one person using it.
I've never found the 1911 to be overly less safe to use than a revolver; it's all about your safety procedures.
I had plenty more reliability issues with the Colt revolver, but thats comparing apples with tangellos...

My 2 cents.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Urastus » 03 Oct 2018, 6:22 pm

Actually, that video is a great example. Lots of training but in the adrenaline of the comp he was focused on clearing the rifle quickly. I've been going to the club, prior to doing my course, and every time there has been a misfire in 9mm or .22. I've never seen anyone wait the 30sec; I didn't realise the significance at the time. I remember somebody mentioning the 30sec rule once, and it caused a bit of discussion which I as a learner got nothing concrete from. So, if security dude or copper, pulls out his gun for real for the first time ever, then there's a chance he might do exactly what the dude in the video did. Squib round is the end of the day for the gun, for sure, but if it's a misfire, and brainless dude keeps squeezing, he might get away with it without brainless intervention. There's always the possibility too, that 30secs can be a long time.

I just read Rod_outbak's post; you're real experience trumps my theories :)
Last edited by Urastus on 03 Oct 2018, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Urastus » 03 Oct 2018, 6:36 pm

It's just a coincidence, I watch some of what this guy does because the outcomes are sometimes surprising (and the guy is entertaining). An exaggerated squib round scenario https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5nKgho2Ue8
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 03 Oct 2018, 7:07 pm

Urastus wrote:Actually, that video is a great example. Lots of training but in the adrenaline of the comp he was focused on clearing the rifle quickly. I've been going to the club, prior to doing my course, and every time there has been a misfire in 9mm or .22. I've never seen anyone wait the 30sec; I didn't realise the significance at the time. I remember somebody mentioning the 30sec rule once, and it caused a bit of discussion which I as a learner got nothing concrete from. So, if security dude or copper, pulls out his gun for real for the first time ever, then there's a chance he might do exactly what the dude in the video did. Squib round is the end of the day for the gun, for sure, but if it's a misfire, and brainless dude keeps squeezing, he might get away with it without brainless intervention. There's always the possibility too, that 30secs can be a long time.

In his notes on the video he said he had the blow-up because the speed of competition made it impossible to check the rifle was clear. He clearly spent a lot longer trying to jam more rounds into it than it would've taken him to check the bore didn't have a bullet jammed down it.

You don't need to wait 30-seconds, you can clear a problem very quickly, and safely, by checking your firearm before continuing. No failure drill, outside of military or law enforcement, should focus on simply putting a fresh round up the spout and continuing.

If you are going to have a slow ignition it'll most likely be within a second or two. I don't think I've ever had or seen one first hand that didn't happen while still aimed at the target. I have seen video of rare slow ignitions go off perhaps three or four seconds late with old milsurp ammo. In that case though it is actually more dangerous to leave the round in the rifle than to eject it onto the ground, but the risk is if it detonates during extraction/ejection and sprays you with brass fragments. Once it's on the ground, there's little danger if it detonates uncontained.

A "cook-off" can happen later though if you leave a live round in a very hot chamber.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 03 Oct 2018, 7:46 pm

Concern of a squid or cycling a hangfire in speed comp and having it go off out of bore alignment is reason I hand load 1 by one off press if I do light loads for rapid fire comps.
General loads I check and weight every 5 to 10 even with a lockout but light loads like AS30 in 38sp I always do individually.
Have had 2 squibs in my time loading at the start and I learnt from them and found Lee warns about their powder thrower disks being innacurate at certain levels for types of powder.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Urastus » 03 Oct 2018, 8:07 pm

The 30 sec rule was what we were taught at firearms course. No, obviously all the guys at my club have never experienced a delayed fire, or they wouldn't just eject the round, inspect then discard it :) If I went to the club right now, I reckon I'd find a few unfired rounds on the ground. Shooting rimfire through handguns I've experienced the odd soft pop; at least now I'd know to look down the barrel. Don't know how that works with a mark III though :) I can't imagine any training the ar guy had would suggest he just charge ahead; I think he stuffed up. I was surprised that the guy following with the camera didn't but in.
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Cryptic » 03 Oct 2018, 9:00 pm

Urastus wrote:The 30 sec rule was what we were taught at firearms course. No, obviously all the guys at my club have never experienced a delayed fire, or they wouldn't just eject the round, inspect then discard it :) If I went to the club right now, I reckon I'd find a few unfired rounds on the ground. Shooting rimfire through handguns I've experienced the odd soft pop; at least now I'd know to look down the barrel. Don't know how that works with a mark III though :) I can't imagine any training the ar guy had would suggest he just charge ahead; I think he stuffed up. I was surprised that the guy following with the camera didn't but in.

You can get rods specifically for squib load or just get get a peice of wood that fits your barrel and keep handy in your range bag. On my revolver I would just run from muzzle to the end to make sure no blockage. Same with an open slide on a semi.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Urastus » 03 Oct 2018, 9:05 pm

Rod_outbak it's funny you talked about sending shot shells out of your .45. Apparently the rifling makes the shot spread much greater and much sooner than a smooth bore. Rifled shotguns in the states are common for single slugs; some people have fired shot through them with extreme results
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 03 Oct 2018, 9:36 pm

Urastus wrote:Rod_outbak it's funny you talked about sending shot shells out of your .45. Apparently the rifling makes the shot spread much greater and much sooner than a smooth bore. Rifled shotguns in the states are common for single slugs; some people have fired shot through them with extreme results

The shot tends to leave a big hole in the middle of the pattern due to the rifling, but at very close ranges it's probably irrelevant.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Urastus » 03 Oct 2018, 11:20 pm

cryptic - I was thinking that; a piece of skinny dowel. Bladeracer - watch from about 6:25 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38a7L60SLJs
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Rod_outbak » 04 Oct 2018, 6:23 am

The .45ACP version of the shotshells is #9 shot, and there are approx 210 pellets in each.

I tested them out on 3Litre milk containers a couple of years back. At ~7 metres, it looked like all of the shot was contained within the area of the milk container, which would have been roughly 18 inches square? I dont think I'd bother going much beyond 8-10 metres for using these, but then thats about the maximum I'd ever use a .410 shotgun anyway. I havent seen the hole in the centre of the pattern, but then I doubt I'm shooting them far enough.

I had a pair of tomcats decide to hold territorial negotiations one night in the gum-tree outside my bedroom.
(How freaking stupid was that??)
2 shotshells at roughly 7-8 metres, and I had 2 ex-puddins on the ground, after very brief flight experiments from both.

The shotshells arent something I'd use every day. The CCI ones are expensive, and arent re-useable (looks to be some sort of light alloy). I first saw the idea from some old ammo my grandfather bought in the 1960's; there is a 10-round pack of factory brass .45ACP shotshells, and I'd always thought they'd be handy for certain situations. At some stage in the future, I will take a crack at making my own, but thats a challenge for another day..
I see CCI also make them in 9mm, .40Cal, .38/357, .45LC and even .44Mag. There are some warnings about using some of the line-up in revolvers, which isnt surprising.
I've had a visit from a 2.1 metre King Brown snake one day, who was most keen on getting into the house. Like a .410, the shotshells do minimal damage outside the target at close range. A single round to the head of Mr Fangboy, and we were sorted.

It's not every day you need a semi-auto shot-pistol, but it's nice to be able to have the right tools for the job...

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 04 Oct 2018, 5:43 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:The .45ACP version of the shotshells is #9 shot, and there are approx 210 pellets in each.

I tested them out on 3Litre milk containers a couple of years back. At ~7 metres, it looked like all of the shot was contained within the area of the milk container, which would have been roughly 18 inches square? I dont think I'd bother going much beyond 8-10 metres for using these, but then thats about the maximum I'd ever use a .410 shotgun anyway. I havent seen the hole in the centre of the pattern, but then I doubt I'm shooting them far enough.

I had a pair of tomcats decide to hold territorial negotiations one night in the gum-tree outside my bedroom.
(How freaking stupid was that??)
2 shotshells at roughly 7-8 metres, and I had 2 ex-puddins on the ground, after very brief flight experiments from both.

The shotshells arent something I'd use every day. The CCI ones are expensive, and arent re-useable (looks to be some sort of light alloy). I first saw the idea from some old ammo my grandfather bought in the 1960's; there is a 10-round pack of factory brass .45ACP shotshells, and I'd always thought they'd be handy for certain situations. At some stage in the future, I will take a crack at making my own, but thats a challenge for another day..
I see CCI also make them in 9mm, .40Cal, .38/357, .45LC and even .44Mag. There are some warnings about using some of the line-up in revolvers, which isnt surprising.
I've had a visit from a 2.1 metre King Brown snake one day, who was most keen on getting into the house. Like a .410, the shotshells do minimal damage outside the target at close range. A single round to the head of Mr Fangboy, and we were sorted.

It's not every day you need a semi-auto shot-pistol, but it's nice to be able to have the right tools for the job...

Cheers,

Rod.

sounds like it's lots of fun at your place rod ! :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 04 Oct 2018, 5:53 pm

i bin thinking of getting my pistol liscence , classic revolver for me thanks. was just thinking a black powder civil war "horse pistol" (colt navy ? ) just for kicks. :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 04 Oct 2018, 6:18 pm

Considering that the only way for me to get a pistol permit is to join the local pistol club, run by some really "special" people who would make excellent chum, I put that dream in a box and buried it long ago.
Given the choice though, mmmmm M1911A1.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by gunnnie » 04 Oct 2018, 7:08 pm

Like both, no preference or one over the other. I like my Ruger Single Sixes, great fun plinking & possible of excellant accuracy. I sometimes carry a pistol for work, a auto 9mm, so I own a few autos in 22 & a 9mm. These I use to help improve my ability with a sidearm for work use.

Would like a single shot bolt for specialist LR handgun work.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 04 Oct 2018, 7:26 pm

gunnnie wrote:Like both, no preference or one over the other. I like my Ruger Single Sixes, great fun plinking & possible of excellant accuracy. I sometimes carry a pistol for work, a auto 9mm, so I own a few autos in 22 & a 9mm. These I use to help improve my ability with a sidearm for work use.

Would like a single shot bolt for specialist LR handgun work.

In my brief sojourn into pistol shooting I had the opportunity to fire a Thompson Contender, chambered in 30-30, what a beast that was. I wasn't anticipating the recoil and the bloody thing tried to take a bite out of my forehead.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by gunnnie » 04 Oct 2018, 9:08 pm

Not an unusual occurrence Gaz. Some folk don't correctly assess the possible outcomes in such situations. Have fired a 460S&W & a Desert Eagle in 50cal, both would no doubt be considered as hand cannons to be careful of. The Eagle was the heavier of the two & I figured it would be the more controllable of the two.

The 460 was the nastier of the two & left a numb sensation in my right hand for an hour or so.

In a single shot I'd be interested to test either a 30Herret, 32-20, 25-223 or 22Hornet.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 04 Oct 2018, 9:10 pm

I had a bloke here once with a BFR in .30-30.
What a freaking monster that was!
Initially, I assumed he was running some reduced-load made up for the revolver.
Nope; off-the-shelf 150Gn RN factory loads.
Faaaarrrrrrkkkk!!!
Of course; had to take a couple of shots with it.
Surprisingly controllable; pretty mild recoil, considering the side of the cartridges.
Fairly accurate, too! I remember I was hitting a target ~60 metres away, that would have been plenty good enough to nail a small pig.
[Probably would have done better if I'd moved past the shock & awe...]
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 04 Oct 2018, 9:39 pm

I want to get one of the 460s at some point. Will probably load 45lc for the indoor local and some form of 454 or 460 for outdoor fun and silhouette.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 04 Oct 2018, 9:41 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:I had a bloke here once with a BFR in .30-30.
What a freaking monster that was!
Initially, I assumed he was running some reduced-load made up for the revolver.
Nope; off-the-shelf 150Gn RN factory loads.
Faaaarrrrrrkkkk!!!
Of course; had to take a couple of shots with it.
Surprisingly controllable; pretty mild recoil, considering the side of the cartridges.
Fairly accurate, too! I remember I was hitting a target ~60 metres away, that would have been plenty good enough to nail a small pig.
[Probably would have done better if I'd moved past the shock & awe...]

The Thompson twisted as hard as it bucked, damn near broke my wrist. The web of my thumb was swollen and sore for several days after, made me feel like a right girly-boy considering Old Mate who owned it would fire 40 or 50 rounds at at time. Mind you, Old Mate had hands like legs of ham.

And there was me all impressed at firing hot loads from the 1911. :crazy:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Urastus » 05 Oct 2018, 1:26 pm

There's also a hole in the centre for 20 meters or so caused by the plastic wad. You can clearly see this in the video link I gave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38a7L60SLJs. I can remember using rat shot on rats as a kid out of .22 single shot. I just thought the rifling thing was interesting, and it makes sense, but for sure still goes a way before the effect really starts to jump in. I don't think it would be any good duck shooting though :D As a side note re the rifled shotguns; there are states in the US where there is some strange rule that you can only use straight walled cartridges - presumably being pistol rounds. So people are hunting with exotic stuff like .450 bushmaster and single slug shot guns. I guess it's to limit the range of the fired round for safety reasons.
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Urastus » 05 Oct 2018, 8:19 pm

I was set on a ruger mkiv stainless .22 hunter, and then something like a cz shadow 2 for doing those events (you know, all the double tapping stuff from different stations etc). That was based on logic and research; not my heart. Now I think I want a .22 revolver and a .357 revolver, probably both ruger. I really like the look of korf revolvers, but don't see any distributors / sellers in Aus; and they look way out of my price range. I like the look of GP100 in both .22 and .357. The 1757 in .22 (5.5" barrel, 10 rounds) and the 1707 in .357 (6" barrel, 6 rounds). I see there's a revolver class in ipsc, no size limits. Only thing is at my club I'm guessing they'll only have auto (small club)
Last edited by Urastus on 05 Oct 2018, 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gaznazdiak » 05 Oct 2018, 8:28 pm

Korth are nice looking weapons, but the prices, my eyes are still watering just from looking at the ad.

That's $US too.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/787211585
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Urastus » 05 Oct 2018, 8:48 pm

Here Gaznazdiak, some more korth porn :) https://kortharms.com/en/national-standard-6-zoll.html
Last edited by Urastus on 05 Oct 2018, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Next

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers