First 22LR Pistol Choices

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

First 22LR Pistol Choices

Post by Lokvo » 14 Feb 2017, 9:51 am

Hey guys, I've been shooting at my local pistol club close to 6 months and have done all the pre-reqs for H license, just need to wait a little longer now.

Question is; do I splurge for an absolute beast of a target gun along the lines of walther ssp (good number of guys at the club run this). I've also been looking at a volquartsen scorpion and love it so that may be a front runner or do I just buy something more in the normal end of things like a ruger mk4 until I feel my skills approach the limit of that gun etc.?? considering I'm fortunately in a position where I have some throw away money specifically for my pistol purchase.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: First 22LR Pistol Choices

Post by Supaduke » 14 Feb 2017, 11:00 am

I don't own a pistol. I do however know the feeling of owning something of quality, including firearms.

If you can afford a higher end gun, go for it. Will allow you to grow into as your skills improve.

The satisfaction of quality equipment never fades.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 14 Feb 2017, 11:17 am

Get the gun YOU want. I've got 24 handguns, half of the 22s. I can't say that I honestly shoot up to the potential of any of them, but I like shooting all of them. :D

So get what interests you. Whilst I do have a lot of semiautos, lately I've been enjoying the Ruger Single-Six
Last edited by GLS_1956 on 14 Feb 2017, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Sumo » 14 Feb 2017, 11:27 am

Sounds like you are only shooting ISSF matches. If this is the case go the Pardini. You won't regret it. Your scores will shoot up due to the ortho grip alone.
www.sumosight.com
Sumo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Lokvo » 14 Feb 2017, 11:34 am

Thanks for input guys. I dont about ISSF, its mostly one handed 22lr shooting, bullseye? Yes I've heard of pardinis, same type as the walthers, only downside is that i may also want to do some casual plinking if able and pardini and walther ssp's dont seem like simple plinkers. choice is hard considering QLD laws where its only one handgun in the first 12 months!
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 14 Feb 2017, 12:10 pm

I've got a foursome of 22 pistols...
Kimber 22LR conversion on Kimber 1911 frame (Usually setup as a 10mm)- Requires HV ammo to cycle reliably, only shot it in this configuration once but it was surprisingly accurate given the short barrel.
Ruger MkIII S/S Competition - Absolute pain to strip and clean but reliable and accurate
Beretta 87 Target - Italian beauty - Everyone should have one of these, pleasure to shoot, accurate and easy to clean.
Volquartsen 1911 Scorpion with brake - Tacticool nirvana - Joy to shoot and better then my current skill level.

All are good choices, the Mk.IV looks the goods now they fixed the takedown method but if you wanted to spend the money I'd definitely go the Volquartsen. Mags are std Ruger 22/45 which are cheap and plentiful. Mine seems to like the expensive euro brand ammunition but I've got some Winchester PowerPoints to try next range visit.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harper » 14 Feb 2017, 1:21 pm

brett1868 wrote:Requires HV ammo to cycle reliably

Don't know the distances off the top of my head, does it drop below sub-sonic (and all that relates to accuracy when that happens) at pistol ranges or is it too short to matter?
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Lokvo » 14 Feb 2017, 1:34 pm

brett1868 wrote:I've got a foursome of 22 pistols...
Kimber 22LR conversion on Kimber 1911 frame (Usually setup as a 10mm)- Requires HV ammo to cycle reliably, only shot it in this configuration once but it was surprisingly accurate given the short barrel.
Ruger MkIII S/S Competition - Absolute pain to strip and clean but reliable and accurate
Beretta 87 Target - Italian beauty - Everyone should have one of these, pleasure to shoot, accurate and easy to clean.
Volquartsen 1911 Scorpion with brake - Tacticool nirvana - Joy to shoot and better then my current skill level.

All are good choices, the Mk.IV looks the goods now they fixed the takedown method but if you wanted to spend the money I'd definitely go the Volquartsen. Mags are std Ruger 22/45 which are cheap and plentiful. Mine seems to like the expensive euro brand ammunition but I've got some Winchester PowerPoints to try next range visit.

So do you rate the volquartsen scorpion in terms of reliability as well brett1868? I've just heard some rumblings about FTF's etc. also I've heard the scorpion doesn't come with a manual with regards to the disassembly/field strip, does it take down like a mkII or mkIII, is it a pain? I feel the mkIV has this department won hands down maybe. :unknown:
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 14 Feb 2017, 2:29 pm

Lokvo wrote:
nnKimber 22LR conversion on Kimber 1911 frame (Usually setup as a 10mm)- Requires HV ammo to cycle reliably, only shot it in this configuration once but it was surprisingly accurate given the short barrel.

So do you rate the volquartsen scorpion in terms of reliability as well brett1868? I've just heard some rumblings about FTF's etc. also I've heard the scorpion doesn't come with a manual with regards to the disassembly/field strip, does it take down like a mkII or mkIII, is it a pain? I feel the mkIV has this department won hands down maybe. :unknown:

The manual if you can call it that is essentially useless but it's not needed anyway. Takedown is identical to the Mk.III except so much easier due to better quality materials and design. I'll wander out to the safe shortly and get a few pictures to post with it striped down, my Ruger Mk.III on the other hand requires a punch, big hammer and foul language in several languages to pull apart. So far I've fed it a diet of Europes finest brands, Lapua & RWS along with various CCI types and so far it's been %100 reliable :)
For the Ruger hater's out there....the Volquartsen 1911 Scorpion whilst essentially replicating the Mk.III design is slightly different and is %100 made by Volquartsen. Below is a piss take photo I did for another thread to highlight the Tacticool capabilities of the little 22LR.

IMG_2942.JPG
IMG_2942.JPG (108.03 KiB) Viewed 8528 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Lokvo » 14 Feb 2017, 2:48 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Lokvo wrote:
nnKimber 22LR conversion on Kimber 1911 frame (Usually setup as a 10mm)- Requires HV ammo to cycle reliably, only shot it in this configuration once but it was surprisingly accurate given the short barrel.

The manual if you can call it that is essentially useless but it's not needed anyway. Takedown is identical to the Mk.III except so much easier due to better quality materials and design. I'll wander out to the safe shortly and get a few pictures to post with it striped down, my Ruger Mk.III on the other hand requires a punch, big hammer and foul language in several languages to pull apart. So far I've fed it a diet of Europes finest brands, Lapua & RWS along with various CCI types and so far it's been %100 reliable :)
For the Ruger hater's out there....the Volquartsen 1911 Scorpion whilst essentially replicating the Mk.III design is slightly different and is %100 made by Volquartsen. Below is a piss take photo I did for another thread to highlight the Tacticool capabilities of the little 22LR.

IMG_2942.JPG

Thanks mate! you've dispelled some of my doubts regarding the scorpion and that pic is too funny/awesome! Naturally that's the setup you'd use for the scorpion anyway yes? :P Well that's narrowed my choices down, (scorpion vs mkIV). I'd sort of already mentally ruled out the walther ssp (even though it is an incredibly accurate target shooter), I'm just not a fan at all of it's aesthetics (a little space toy-ey) but that's purely subjective.
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 14 Feb 2017, 3:18 pm

Im on the debate atm if it is worth me buying a 22.
I reload 38/357 now and was looking at a 22 version of a 9mm. Hearing that a lot of the scale downs prefer minags or HV and the price of that ammo is about the same as I can reload 9mm, less maybe a buck or 2.
Might think about a dedicated target 22 instead though.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lokvo » 14 Feb 2017, 5:30 pm

I'm early in the game so I haven't jumped on the reloading path...yet. That sound pretty dang good though (reloading CF rounds for .22 prices?) so the price of 22lr is all I know at the moment and it seems reasonable to me (SV though not the HV stuff), well that and .223Rem but that's another story lol.
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 14 Feb 2017, 5:33 pm

Cost for me to reload 9mm is anout $9.80 for 50.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Cryptic » 14 Feb 2017, 8:26 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Cost for me to reload 9mm is anout $9.80 for 50.

Worked out roughly around that too Wylie depending where I get projectiles. For that price I dont mind the extra couple bucks.
Sale specials would bring it down too by stocking up.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 15 Feb 2017, 1:50 am

Harper wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Requires HV ammo to cycle reliably

Don't know the distances off the top of my head, does it drop below sub-sonic (and all that relates to accuracy when that happens) at pistol ranges or is it too short to matter?

it's all subsonic in a pistol , maybe the 1600fps stuff like stingers might be super for about 20 yards but back in the 90s when I

tested a lot of supersonic (in a rifle) it was all around 1000 to 1080 fps in 6" and shorter pistols .

even the ruger single six with the 22win mag cylinder was only 1280fps or there abouts but holy s**t was it an ear splitter :o

and a nice purple flame . I will see if I can find some pics and scan them .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 15 Feb 2017, 5:30 am

Cryptic wrote:
Wylie27 wrote:Cost for me to reload 9mm is anout $9.80 for 50.

Worked out roughly around that too Wylie depending where I get projectiles. For that price I dont mind the extra couple bucks.
Sale specials would bring it down too by stocking up.

Projectiles and primers for me, started using S&B small pistol primers and hey cost $43 for a 1000. Nearly half the price of CCI.

$8 to shoot 50 of .22 or just shy of $10 for 9mm.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Lokvo » 16 Feb 2017, 7:22 am

Dammit I just ordered and put down a deposit for a Volquarsten scorpion lol. Was told it would take an estimated 10 - 12 weeks for it to arrive, which works kind of well for me since it'll take roughly around the same time until I have my cat H license. People I ordered with were kind enough to agree to get in and hold it for me until I have my license :D
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Boo » 02 Sep 2017, 5:08 pm

Got this yet?
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Lokvo » 04 Sep 2017, 7:34 am

Hey Boo. Sure have mate and it's glorious! :) you in the market for one?
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Boo » 04 Sep 2017, 8:17 am

I'm in the market for a target 22 to replace the Buck Mark which just does not feel right in my hand. That's the problem for me, finding a pistol that feels good and points naturally so tell us all about the VQ.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Lokvo » 04 Sep 2017, 10:11 am

Good place to be in mate (shopping) haha. The Ruger mark series (II, III, IV etc.) I've been told have a grip angle that lends itself to 'naturally pointing'. Good thing about the VQ scorpion is that it is available in both the ruger mark angle grip as well as the 1911 grip angle which I have since I just personally prefer the 1911 angle. Accuracy-wise, it's light out! I shot it off a ransom rest when I got it just to test the VQ's inherent accuracy at 25 metres and it produced around 1" to sub 1" groups. I went the VQ route because I felt that it was accurate enough for ISSF while also still useable as a weekend plinker which you can't do exactly with pardini's or walther SSP's.
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 04 Sep 2017, 11:23 am

Hammerli 206
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Boo » 04 Sep 2017, 5:29 pm

1911 grip angle suits me too Lokvo and it seems that the trend is for new guns to be lighter which I happen to prefer as well. If the Buck Mark sells soon then the present preference is for a Walther PPQ which will be more than accurate enough at present, a dedicated target pistol can come later if I get good enough. It's important to have fun while learning so something like the PPQ should do the trick, just like the VQ is doing it for you, good one.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 04 Sep 2017, 5:47 pm

Waiting for Brett to come in here and talk about his Ruger chicken smasher. :lol:
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Lokvo » 05 Sep 2017, 7:28 am

Yeap the PPQ is awesome as well Boo, a few people at my local also run this. Probably has one of the best grip ergonomics I've held too, fits snug/comfortable in hand! and what is this ruger chicken smasher? haha.
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Boo » 05 Sep 2017, 8:16 am

That's good to know Lokvo, thanks. The thing against the PPQ is that the sights are mounted on the slide but for a semi newb ergonomics are everything and for under a K it's not a lot of money if it does not work out.

A Ruger smashing chickens? Maybe he throws it at them lol :D
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 05 Sep 2017, 9:42 am

Chicken smasher is the VQ scorpion.. smashing chickens is a reference to rimfire metallic silhouette that we do.

Brett hates it when I call it a Ruger. Allegedly it's not :shrug:
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Lokvo » 05 Sep 2017, 11:34 am

Haha! I actually like that...chicken smasher, that's my new VQ nickname.
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers