Dry firing a .22

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Dry firing a .22

Post by coroboreeboy » 24 Feb 2017, 9:25 am

All due respect to those who say "never dry fire a rimfire".
For what it's worth; a direct quote from the Kimber .22 rimfire 1911 operator's manual:
" Pull the trigger allowing the hammer to free fall forward on the empty chamber. Do not "ease" the hammer down by holding or blocking it. Doing so can mar the sear tip which will result in a substandard trigger pull."
coroboreeboy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Dry firing a .22

Post by Wylie27 » 24 Feb 2017, 9:33 am

cool story bro..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 24 Feb 2017, 9:46 am

coroboreeboy wrote:All due respect to those who say "never dry fire a rimfire".
For what it's worth; a direct quote from the Kimber .22 rimfire 1911 operator's manual:
" Pull the trigger allowing the hammer to free fall forward on the empty chamber. Do not "ease" the hammer down by holding or blocking it. Doing so can mar the sear tip which will result in a substandard trigger pull."

Rugers are designed for safe dry-firing.
I always hated the lack of a last-round bolt hold open on my 10/22.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 24 Feb 2017, 9:59 am

The manual for my PPQ says don't dry fire..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by coroboreeboy » 24 Feb 2017, 12:02 pm

I asked a keen and experienced rimfire rifle shooter if he dry fired. He said that it all depends on the gun. Some you can, some definitely not.
coroboreeboy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 24 Feb 2017, 2:24 pm

coroboreeboy wrote:I asked a keen and experienced rimfire rifle shooter if he dry fired. He said that it all depends on the gun. Some you can, some definitely not.

yep it all depends on if they were silly enough to design it to hit the barrel like cz .

the Anschutz's I had wouldn't and nether dose my LA101 .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 24 Feb 2017, 4:46 pm

Have wondered at times about that, some say you can some say not at all. Then I think how many times has a gun that manual says do not dry fire been dry fired in a shop before you buy it.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 Feb 2017, 6:09 pm

deye243 wrote:yep it all depends on if they were silly enough to design it to hit the barrel like cz .

Could it perhaps be that some actions specifically avoid a captured striker to ensure good ignition?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bushie » 24 Feb 2017, 7:01 pm

Cryptic wrote:Have wondered at times about that, some say you can some say not at all. Then I think how many times has a gun that manual says do not dry fire been dry fired in a shop before you buy it.

you would have to be a special type of arrogant to dry fire guns in a shop
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 24 Feb 2017, 7:30 pm

Bushie wrote:
Cryptic wrote:Have wondered at times about that, some say you can some say not at all. Then I think how many times has a gun that manual says do not dry fire been dry fired in a shop before you buy it.

Everyone I see looking at pistols while im chatting to mates at LGS dry fire them.
Have seen plenty doing it and no staff stop them.

I usually just look then check sight picture and hand it back as I dont like dry firing unless im told it is ok or ask.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 24 Feb 2017, 8:43 pm

bladeracer wrote:
deye243 wrote:yep it all depends on if they were silly enough to design it to hit the barrel like cz .

Could it perhaps be that some actions specifically avoid a captured striker to ensure good ignition?

never seen it in an Anschutz nor mine yet but it is new and the Lithgow hasn't been

around enough yet to see if it's a problem obviously .

and there are enough annies around to prove that it works for them .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Feb 2017, 9:01 pm

Yeah ... as said, my cz pin smackes the barrel.

Probably do it once or twice every 50 shots.
750 shots per year on average
Almost 20 years? = ~450 dry fires :oops:

It's got a witness mark from the pin smacking the barrel and the firing pin looks fine.

I never do it deliberately.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Feb 2017, 7:50 am

Bushie wrote:

I must be arrogant then, I want to know what the trigger is like and the only way to find that out is to try it. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deye243 » 26 Feb 2017, 2:18 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Bushie wrote:

I must be arrogant then, I want to know what the trigger is like and the only way to find that out is to try it. :drinks:

yep but I always ask if it's ok first :thumbsup:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Feb 2017, 2:48 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I must be arrogant then, I want to know what the trigger is like and the only way to find that out is to try it. :drinks:

I'll dry fire a centrefire but never a rimfire.
If you absolutely have to know what the trigger is like, put an empty case in the chamber so you don't damage a firearm that doesn't belong to you.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 26 Feb 2017, 3:42 pm

Broke the firing pin in a rimfire pistol dry firing it, this type didn't strike the chamber face on firing, it was held back and the resulting G force sheared it off.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 26 Feb 2017, 6:18 pm

I've got a set of snap caps for my .22
They’re made from injection molded plastic and feed well but the plastic rim will only handle 2 smacks on the same spot before it gets ratty. Obviously they can be rotated so you can hit a fresh bit of plastic.

I mainly used them when doing my trigger job and had a little play after that to get myself familiar with tge weight.

They can be bought on ebay blody cheep.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 26 Feb 2017, 6:30 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I've got a set of snap caps for my .22
They’re made from injection molded plastic and feed well but the plastic rim will only handle 2 smacks on the same spot before it gets ratty. Obviously they can be rotated so you can hit a fresh bit of plastic.

I mainly used them when doing my trigger job and had a little play after that to get myself familiar with tge weight.

They can be bought on ebay blody cheep.

The only reason I would use a rimfire snap cap is for testing feed function. For dry firing just drop an empty case in - it's even cheaper than Ebay ;-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 26 Feb 2017, 6:49 pm

Use snaps or spents at the range when packing away their rugers.
I have 2 sets of 38special snaps for my GP but they are mainly just for speedloader training I dont really bother for dryfire with it.
Will probably get a set of 9mm for the HK for bit of speed training.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lokvo » 27 Feb 2017, 9:37 am

I'm ignorant either way so I just err on the safe side don't dry fire at all. There's an old ruger MK II at the pistol club that doesn't lock back on the last round and on the occasion I forget to count the rounds and I hear that dreaded 'click' on an empty chamber, I feel that pain in my soul lol.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by coroboreeboy » 27 Feb 2017, 4:10 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Bushie wrote:

Personally, I'm not really worried about what the trigger feels like in the shop, because one way or the other, it's going to feel much different by the time I finish working on it.
coroboreeboy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers