Range training Colt 1911 .45

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Range training Colt 1911 .45

Post by furtherpale » 23 Mar 2017, 10:22 am

Hi,

New here, I am planning on volunteering in Somalia for 3 months, which is a rather dangerous place. When in Texas a few lads took me to a range for the day where we shot everything from a colt peacemaker to M-16 full autos and every pistol you can imagine.

The colt 1911 .45 (I really don't remember which version) was the handgun that 'felt right'. It will be legal to carry one in Somalia. Does anyone know where I can be trained on this weapon in Victoria? I won't be purchasing one in Australia, I just need to know how to use it properly before I get there.

Thanks in advance.

(edit to 1911 from 1991 - ty)
Last edited by furtherpale on 24 Mar 2017, 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
furtherpale
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Range training Colt 1991 .45

Post by brett1868 » 23 Mar 2017, 9:23 pm

I think you'll find it's actually a 1911 pistol, a design by John Moses Browning. Its a reliable and proven design that hasn't changed much in 106 years and a good choice for self defence. SSAA run "Try Pistol" type events in NSW and maybe one of the Mexicans can recommend a range that offers these activities. I'd be doing a bit of research on what the locals carry over there and following their lead, no point being the only guy with a 45cal 1911 if everyone carries Glock 9mm's.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 23 Mar 2017, 10:27 pm

Gday furtherpale back in1998 I was dating a a french woman who worked for Medcine du monde (an aid organization) in Somalia and the Sudan. Based on some of the things she told me my advice would be to forget the pistol and when you get there buy the biggest murder death rapid fire weapon you can. Life is apparently real cheap. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Fritz » 24 Mar 2017, 6:26 am

Daddybang wrote:Gday furtherpale back in1998 I was dating a a french woman who worked for Medcine du monde (an aid organization) in Somalia and the Sudan. Based on some of the things she told me my advice would be to forget the pistol and when you get there buy the biggest murder death rapid fire weapon you can. Life is apparently real cheap. :thumbsup:

You can get them here. I remember reading about them in the paper once. Think they called them an Adler or something like that. :lol: :lol:
Fritz
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by furtherpale » 24 Mar 2017, 6:57 am

brett1868 wrote:I think you'll find it's actually a 1911 pistol, a design by John Moses Browning. Its a reliable and proven design that hasn't changed much in 106 years and a good choice for self defence. SSAA run "Try Pistol" type events in NSW and maybe one of the Mexicans can recommend a range that offers these activities. I'd be doing a bit of research on what the locals carry over there and following their lead, no point being the only guy with a 45cal 1911 if everyone carries Glock 9mm's.

you're right, it was a 1911 (it's been a long time)
furtherpale
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by furtherpale » 24 Mar 2017, 6:59 am

Daddybang wrote:Gday furtherpale back in1998 I was dating a a french woman who worked for Medcine du monde (an aid organization) in Somalia and the Sudan. Based on some of the things she told me my advice would be to forget the pistol and when you get there buy the biggest murder death rapid fire weapon you can. Life is apparently real cheap. :thumbsup:

agreed, but essentially i'll be in a "secure" area, and they won't let me carry anything else in a classroom.
furtherpale
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 24 Mar 2017, 7:06 am

Have an uncle who works for Aus-aid and has worked in some dodgy places over there. Has never had to arm himself, he reckons it only makes you a threat. If the mob you are going to work for cannot guarantee your safety, you may not be safe. Somalia has a history of kidnapping Westerners for ransom.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 24 Mar 2017, 9:08 am

Not meaning to be a d:ck about it, but if your planning on using a 1911 design pistol to possibly defend your life i'd probably be doing more than a show and tell with the ssaa, assuming you have a pistol license i'd be finding a friend that owns a similar model to what you want and trying to become more than proficient with whatever is your flavour

Good luck :)
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by furtherpale » 24 Mar 2017, 9:20 am

AusTac wrote:Not meaning to be a d:ck about it, but if your planning on using a 1911 design pistol to possibly defend your life i'd probably be doing more than a show and tell with the ssaa, assuming you have a pistol license i'd be finding a friend that owns a similar model to what you want and trying to become more than proficient with whatever is your flavour

I won't be owning, or possessing it in Australia. I will legally acquiring one overseas and selling it before leaving. The goal is to be trained on it at a range, legally.
furtherpale
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 24 Mar 2017, 9:46 am

furtherpale wrote:
AusTac wrote:Not meaning to be a d:ck about it, but if your planning on using a 1911 design pistol to possibly defend your life i'd probably be doing more than a show and tell with the ssaa, assuming you have a pistol license i'd be finding a friend that owns a similar model to what you want and trying to become more than proficient with whatever is your flavour

I won't be owning, or possessing it in Australia. I will legally acquiring one overseas and selling it before leaving. The goal is to be trained on it at a range, legally.

Yeah mate which is why i said find a friend.. ie your not owning it just using it, doesn't worry me in the slightest if you do it legally or illegally.. i'm just saying.. if your going to be needing this thing in a firefight your going to want a bit more time than a few range shoots.. need to build up the muscle memory, easy to leave the safety on those things or mess the grip up as to not release the grip safety also, thats all.. not having a go at you by the way

Probably a firearms instructor is your best bet, put down and many range hours and rounds as you can, practice all the scenarios holstering/unholstering reloading/stoppages etc etc theres a few who operate in melbourne
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by furtherpale » 24 Mar 2017, 10:21 am

AusTac wrote:
furtherpale wrote:

Yeah mate which is why i said find a friend.. ie your not owning it just using it, doesn't worry me in the slightest if you do it legally or illegally.. i'm just saying.. if your going to be needing this thing in a firefight your going to want a bit more time than a few range shoots.. need to build up the muscle memory, easy to leave the safety on those things or mess the grip up as to not release the grip safety also, thats all.. not having a go at you by the way

Probably a firearms instructor is your best bet, put down and many range hours and rounds as you can, practice all the scenarios holstering/unholstering reloading/stoppages etc etc theres a few who operate in melbourne

That's the idea, find a range instructor and train as much as possible, purchase overseas and sell it before returning... my question is on where to do so in Victoria
furtherpale
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Range training Colt 1911 .45

Post by AusTac » 24 Mar 2017, 11:36 am

Google digger tactical, might be able to sort something out
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-