Ruger Charger ?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Ruger Charger ?

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Jun 2017, 7:51 pm

What is the go with these things ?

Being semi auto, and not (I think) very practical for hunting, I presume their main use is in ?western action/club use.

Given that there seems to be quite a lot of them out and about and well represented on the likes of "Abused Guns",,,,,,
I didn't think there were that many C Class licenses being granted,, but obviously I must be wrong.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Ruger Charger ?

Post by Bent Arrow » 03 Jun 2017, 7:55 pm

Pretty sure they are classed as a pistol in aus
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Jun 2017, 7:57 pm

G'day Die Judicii,
They are classed as pistols and can only be used on approved handgun ranges. They are used (????) for Metallic. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 03 Jun 2017, 8:08 pm

Metallic silouette open sight
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by WatchyShooter » 04 Jun 2017, 2:37 am

yoshie wrote:Metallic silouette open sight

They've been the cause of some issues with them being placed in stock kits for the 10/22 , which while it's a pistol, placing it in one of those basically turns it into a Cat C semi auto rifle which gets some in trouble. If left stock you shouldn't have any issues
Firearm-less LAFO!
New shooter, guns to come soon!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Jun 2017, 1:17 pm

WatchyShooter wrote:

They've been the cause of some issues with them being placed in stock kits for the 10/22 , which while it's a pistol, placing it in one of those basically turns it into a Cat C semi auto rifle which gets some in trouble. If left stock you shouldn't have any issues

Thats a curly one, cos I see it as regardless of what stock it might be in,,,,, it's still "semi auto"

So do the participants of Metallic silouette using the Ruger chargers have to hold a C class license ????
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by WatchyShooter » 04 Jun 2017, 7:03 pm

All handguns are semi auto so the main difference with the ruger charger is it's a chopped down 10/22 used to get around semi auto restrictions on rifles by having it be a "semi auto pistol"

H class license is all you would need, but the police know this is a cut down 10/22 and when dropped into a stock or frame, basically becomes a Cat C rifle.

Issues like this wouldn't happen if sporting shooters and IPSC/general range use was opened up to Cat C which is only rimfire semi autos.
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 04 Jun 2017, 7:18 pm

WatchyShooter wrote:All handguns are semi auto........

Bwah hah hah. Ummmmm. I think not.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by WatchyShooter » 04 Jun 2017, 7:25 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:

Poor choice of words, but let's be honest the number of single fire and manual action handguns is limited to collectors basically, using the term "all" maybe was wrong but to be frank, I have never seen non-self loading pistols and I think most average people wouldn't even know what a non-selfloading pistol is
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 04 Jun 2017, 7:31 pm

Are you seriously suggesting you have never seen a revolver bring used at a range? They are still very popular for a lot of reasons.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Cryptic » 04 Jun 2017, 7:31 pm

WatchyShooter wrote:
Bent Arrow wrote:

Poor choice of words, but let's be honest the number of single fire and manual action handguns is limited to collectors basically, using the term "all" maybe was wrong but to be frank, I have never seen non-self loading pistols and I think most average people wouldn't even know what a non-selfloading pistol is

:crazy:
Revolvers? There are tonnes of them in competitive use. Have you ever been to a pistol range?
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 04 Jun 2017, 7:40 pm

In Australia they are a pistol and registered as pistols. They can't be used in many matches. They can be used in IMSHA (SSAA) rimfire with a scope or red dot, however they don't comply with IMSSU (PA) rules as they don't have factory sights. Plenty of single shot pistols being used at silouette ranges around the country. If someone made a 'factory made' after market sight the clamped on the barrel and good quality rear they would be fairly popular for silouette. One in 357mag or 44 mag would be great if they made them with the same action as the 10/44 or deerstalker.
Last edited by yoshie on 04 Jun 2017, 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Bent Arrow » 04 Jun 2017, 7:46 pm

Check out the Thompson contender....... Single shot pistol. Was very popular back when I was shooting handguns.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by WatchyShooter » 04 Jun 2017, 7:56 pm

Well yeah revolvers aren't semi auto, but it's not to far from it

A revolver, which uses multiple chambers and a single barrel, and a derringer, which uses multiple chambers and multiple barrels, also fire one round per trigger pull, but achieve this in different ways and as such are not classified as being semi-automatic.
Last edited by WatchyShooter on 04 Jun 2017, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by WatchyShooter » 04 Jun 2017, 7:58 pm

I've honestly seen maybe one or two but most shooting I've seen, IPSC mainly is usually semi-auto, and it doesn't remove the fact that when people hear handgun, they automatically think of a mag feed semi-auto pistol, and with the charger it can be easily converted to a semi-auto rifle, its kinda like the frame kits for glocks that have become popular over the last few years, it's about providing the benefits of a rifle while still insisting it's a handgun.
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Jun 2017, 9:47 pm

So I take it that the Krauts in WW 2 were ahead of their time with the Broomhandle Lugers ?
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by WatchyShooter » 04 Jun 2017, 10:55 pm

Die Judicii wrote:So I take it that the Krauts in WW 2 were ahead of their time with the Broomhandle Lugers ?

See I've wondered what some of the WW2 era pistols with stocks would get classified as, some Nambu models came with stocks and I've been trying to figure out if it would fall into the length restrictions and such
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by gunnnie » 23 Jun 2017, 12:25 am

:unknown:
WatchyShooter wrote:
Bent Arrow wrote:

:unknown: :lol: Sorry mate, but you've got to be kidding right? Folks would be wondering just what range you attend if that is the opinion or belief you have. Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but I'm still shaking my head in disbelief of what you've said in that post!

I own several pistols, includinga Ruger Charger, but aside from one other semi-auto, the rest are all revolvers!

As has been said, there are a lot of revolver specific comps, all of which are usually very well attended.

Maybe you should google the SSAA & check out the pistol disciplines. It will help in expanding your perceptions.

Also, I have to take umbrage at the rest of this particular post. Just who are you referring to as "most average people" ??? I would hazard a guess that if you polled 100 folk off the street you would find that people do know there are revolvers, flintlocks and semi autos amongst others! Granted maybe not knowing of some of the more unique types but in general 'yes'. Most "average people" watch tv and movies and you will see most common types being used by actors.

Oh and it would not just be the realm of the collector for anythung but semi-autos!

Don't take this the wrong way but your comment is just is soooo wrong!
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 23 Jun 2017, 9:28 am

You could argue that even revolvers are self loading. They do rotate the revolving part to the next round don't they?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jun 2017, 1:00 pm

sungazer wrote:You could argue that even revolvers are self loading. They do rotate the revolving part to the next round don't they?

Technically, the action required to get the next round into battery is done by the shooter, either by cocking the hammer, or by a very long and heavy trigger pull. I know of one revolver that is a true semi-automatic design, it used recoil to to re-cock the hammer and index the cylinder.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webley%E2%80%93Fosbery_Automatic_Revolver
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 23 Jun 2017, 7:27 pm

There are many single shot bolt action pistols, though predominately used for Metallic Silhouette. Now to confuse a few....there was even a Semi Automatic Revolver made some years ago by Mateba.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mateba_Autorevolver
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Lucky_No1 » 14 Jul 2017, 3:25 pm

Had a ruger charger, they are a little fun. But at the end of the day I no longer have a charger because they arent that practical

Keltec 22wmr With a 30 round mag looks better
Lucky_No1
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by thorG17 » 02 May 2018, 4:00 pm

WatchyShooter wrote:

You can put them in after market stocks and not change it being a cat H, has long as the complete length of the firearm is not reduced and/or does not exceed 75cm.
What you will find it that if you put it in a stock made for a 10/22 it will probably be too long.
thorG17
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers