9mm pistol recoil?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

9mm pistol recoil?

Post by veep » 28 Jun 2017, 3:50 pm

Hi guys,

Can someone tell me something comparable in a rifle to the recoil of a 9mm pistol?

Lots less powder than most rifle cartridge so less recoil I know, but a pistol is way lighter than a rifle so there is more. Don't know where the balance is.

Know what I mean? Hope that makes sense :mrgreen:
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: 9mm pistol recoil?

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jun 2017, 4:03 pm

veep wrote:Hi guys,

Can someone tell me something comparable in a rifle to the recoil of a 9mm pistol?

Lots less powder than most rifle cartridge so less recoil I know, but a pistol is way lighter than a rifle so there is more. Don't know where the balance is.

I shot many thousands of 9mm rounds, but I don't think I can compare it to a rifle. Rifles are supported by your shoulder.
When a rifle recoils it pushes your shoulder. I would say that in comparison, a 9mm handgun has almost no "felt" recoil. The recoil is more a rotational force through the wrist. To get semi-auto handguns to function reliably you have to lock your wrist so the recoil energy is not used up moving the entire gun. A weak hold will absorb energy that is needed to operate the slide.
If you had a shoulder stock on a handgun I doubt you'd feel any more recoil than a .22LR rifle.
I have fired some .44 Magnum which has much greater recoil than a 9mm, but it's still fairly different to a rifle.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 28 Jun 2017, 4:25 pm

9mm glocks recoil more than a 9mm 1911,
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by brett1868 » 28 Jun 2017, 4:54 pm

Closest comparison I think would be a .223 but it's a different recoil. I've shot just about every pistol caliber from 22 to 500 S&W Magnum and the 9mm is very manageable. Bladeracer nailed the description pretty much on the head and I only say .223 cause you wanted a comparison to a rifle caliber.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Ed9362 » 28 Jun 2017, 7:03 pm

why dont you pop on down to a pistol club and find out for yourself.

pistol shooting is a lot of fun and not as expensive as you would think.
also the paperwork is a pain but it is doable especially if someone at the club will help you out
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 28 Jun 2017, 9:01 pm

This might sound wussy or whatever but the first 9 i shot i was like WOAH ( had only shot rifles previously ) then after a mag your like ok i got this, i remember having shot a 1911 soild AF and heavy so a bit less recoil, felt good but grip safety was annoying, glock ( my favorite ) but it's also lighter so it moves a bit more slick and simple to use, and a horrible pistol called the beretta 92fs.. kinda felt like a hybrid of the two and it bit me in the web of my thumb/fore finger, clunky as peice of s**t

Depends on the firearm i think, and stance/technique and ammo etc etc

Wow that turned into a ramble
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by GLS_1956 » 29 Jun 2017, 12:53 am

You can find mathematical formulas., on the internet, to figure "free recoil" of a firearm, I'll let you or anyone else look up the particulars.

Now gun design has a lot to do with perceived kick/recoil, my C96 "Broomhandle" Mauser kick a lot more when shot as a pistol than when shot with its shoulder stock/holster attached and fired from the shoulder. The C96 also "bucks"/recoils more that my Browning P-35 Hi Power, the reason for that is ergonomics, with the bore line of the C96 being half again to possibly twice that of the P-35.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jun 2017, 1:29 am

I started in IPSC. From memory the training was a course of twelve stages. Each session you had to repeat and pass the last stage you did at the previous session before moving forward. During the actual training, I started with a .38 revolver, then a .45 1911 - both club training guns . But I was training one-on-one with a Vietnam vet who had lots of different guns for me to play with. We both lived five minutes from the range so whenever I wasn't working we'd go up for some training, just the two of us. Once I was licenced I used to go up on my own during the week and do my own thing.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by coroboreeboy » 29 Jun 2017, 7:10 am

When I used to shoot long arms years ago, I found that the tendency to flinch was manifested by a tendency to pull away from the firearm and pull the shot in an upwards direction, trying to "get away" from the kick in the shoulder.
When I moved to pistols, I found myself flinching the other way, in a downwards direction; trying to control the muzzle flip by pushing down on the gun when I pulled the trigger.
As Bladeracer said, the recoil is very different from pistol to rifle.
coroboreeboy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 29 Jun 2017, 1:38 pm

Depends on the firearm I think, and stance/technique and ammo etc etc and if your holding it correctly (so you don,t get bit ) think of its like driving ones a truck one a car both have a place .

The perceived recoil is different for each person same as rifle shooting and as such is hard to quantify Brett1868 says 9mm is like a 223 to him because he shoots a Lot of larger calibers ( hand cannons ) but if you have only shot a .22 a 9mm might make you jump at first but well worth the try.

The only thing with pistol shooting is you will shoot a lot more if I take 2 pistols to the range say a .22 colt rail (min 200 rounds )and 9mm Beretta 92 fs (250 rounds )
per week

there,s a lot less powder in a pistol cartridge but is a different type of powder too even with the same powder
AR2207 .224" 2.200" 19.0 2,400 fps 34,800 CUP 21.0 2,719 fps 47,600 CUP 223 pistol round
AR2207 .224" 2.220" 18.0 2,852 fps 42,700 PSI 20.4 3,084 fps 51,400 PSI 223 rifle round taken from the ADI reloading site even with less powder 18 gr rather than 19 gr for a pistol a rifle will travel faster with greater pressure so the actual recoil will be different and perceived recoil is a personal thing
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bullzeye » 30 Jun 2017, 3:43 pm

Hard to say, but the recoil from a 9mm Glock 17 really isn't as much as you might expect.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ANDREGOD » 26 Jul 2017, 12:30 pm

Comparing the recoil of a pistol 9mm to a rifle AR15, I think the recoil of an AR15 in 5,56x45mm is similar.

I shot a Bushmaster rifle AR15 9mm, and it has less recoil than my airgun rifle .22 caliber springer.

But pistols in 9mm have a mild recoil. Recoil similar to a 38 special. A little bit less than the recoil of a 45acp shooting ammo ball 230 grains@830 fps

Pistol 9mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozaAAab7Oas

Revolver 38 special
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prtWTmYDKVU

Pistol 45acp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zZeuPYUjew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3_BGDNc00U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGiVxvVlDDY

veep wrote:Hi guys,

ANDREGOD
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers