Single Action

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Single Action

Post by Patty93 » 09 Jul 2017, 2:22 pm

Hi Lads,

Just curious who here is getting amongst the good old single action shooting... Looking to start as it looks like a hell of a lot of fun but not even sure what to be looking at. Appears much bigger in the USA..

Cheers

Patty
Patty93
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Single Action

Post by Supaduke » 09 Jul 2017, 2:45 pm

I'm not in NSW, but in Victoria the western action shooting is run by the "Little River Raiders", their website has a stack of info that could be useful to getting into the sport.
http://www.littleriverraiders.com.au/
Will at least give you some ideas of what it's about and some leads for you state.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Patty93 » 09 Jul 2017, 8:27 pm

I have just moved down to Victoria, Im probably going to be heading to little river as I wanna join PPLA. Are you familiar with them at all Supaduke?
Patty93
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 09 Jul 2017, 10:17 pm

I'm not a member, but I have been down a similar path as you. Been long time rifle shooter but am contemplating going through the motions of obtaining a H license.

Also trying to decide which part of pistol shooting I want to focus on, be it ISPC, western action or target.

Been researching and talking to people of all disciplines. Getting an idea of time commitments , financial cost, comp structure etc.

Have spoken to several members of the Little River raiders and it seems well run and friendly.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 10 Jul 2017, 3:51 am

I've been into "thumb busters" long before SASS, but I did join and shoot in Cowboy Action Matches, before it came down to choosing between shooting and church, Christ trumps shooting.

My second handgun purchased was a Ruger Single-Six and now not only do I have a second Single-Six, in stainless steel, a pair of stainless steel Ruger Vaquero Bisleys, these were my Cowboy Action guns, a Ruger Blackhawk in 45Colt, with 45acp spare cylinder, Rugers Blackhawk in 30Carbine, it goes nice with the M-1 Carbine in the safe. and a NAA micro-revolver in 22Mag that gets carries when nothing else can be.

As for SASS and the type of person you'll come across, well I never met a fellow SASS shooter who wasn't either a lady or a gentleman on or off the firing line. As for the guns, you'll need tow handguns, I am a great big fan of Rugers and they are just more durable. You'll need a rifle too, it is best but not required to have the long gun, pump or lever action, is the same caliber as your revolvers. the shotgun will need tp be either a single or double barrel with twin triggers and extractors, not ejectors.

Have fun and tell them "George Sparrow" sent ya.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 10 Jul 2017, 10:38 pm

the last sass end of trail shoot was won by a australian and there are lots of you guys at the big shoots
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Lucky_No1 » 14 Jul 2017, 3:03 pm

Single action is awesome mate, No regrets at all getting into the sport - and the majority of shooters are good people

Cheers
Lucky
Lucky_No1
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wobble » 24 Jul 2017, 10:01 am

Patty93 wrote:Appears much bigger in the USA.

So many good events in the US.

I don't really know why they haven't taken off here.

Probably range templates, laws, licensing etc. don't make a lot of them practical of with viable numbers?
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Jul 2017, 6:09 pm

Lucky_No1 wrote:Single action is awesome mate, No regrets at all getting into the sport - and the majority of shooters are good people

Cheers
Lucky

The majority of all people are good people. Politicians and big business being the others.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Seik » 26 Jul 2017, 11:12 am

Wobble wrote:Probably range templates, laws, licensing etc. don't make a lot of them practical of with viable numbers?

I reckon that's right.
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 26 Jul 2017, 4:29 pm

Be aware that Western Action as it's called in Oz is almost more fun than you can have with your clothes on.

It also allows you shoot stages which contain pistol rifle and shotgun all together.

It can be addictive if the people you shoot with aren't tossers.

I know that back in Perth there were a number of different clubs who did it, each with a different degree of competitiveness. Finding your own niche was key to enjoying it.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jul 2017, 5:28 pm

BRNO_Bigot wrote:Be aware that Western Action as it's called in Oz is almost more fun than you can have with your clothes on.

It also allows you shoot stages which contain pistol rifle and shotgun all together.

It can be addictive if the people you shoot with aren't tossers.

I know that back in Perth there were a number of different clubs who did it, each with a different degree of competitiveness. Finding your own niche was key to enjoying it.

In the early nineties I did an IPSC event at a club that was shooting Western Action (Whiteman Park perhaps?). We saw a bit of what they were doing but were mainly focused on our own stuff. Looked interesting, but I went up the Kimberly working and never pursued it. Been toying with the idea of having a go but it seems like every competition is the same - shoot some steel with the revolvers, shoot some steel with the shotgun, shoot some steel with the rifle. And I understand the requirement for silly names and dressing up as the "reenactment display" is what allows it to shoot .45-caliber handguns, but it must turn lots of people off that would otherwise get into it. They need a .36-caliber class that avoids the pantomime and focuses on the shooting.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 26 Jul 2017, 7:57 pm

Dressing up is part of the fun - why else would anyone want to mess around with firearms that are not exactly bleeding edge?

And if you can say that all Western action shoots look the same, then imagine how similar IPSC shoots must look - shoot at steel, reload, shoot at steel, move 10 paces, shoot at steel.

We've had clays shoots before. Also had some devices built that would throw an aerial target up when hit, so again the shotgun has a go. Had a championship based on one of the Clint Eastwood westerns (Pale rider), where you had to shoot a target on a dunny. That one also had the device throw a dunny roll into the air, for shotgun.

I think if they all looked the same, it was a case of the course being set with no imagination.
--
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jul 2017, 8:59 pm

BRNO_Bigot wrote:Dressing up is part of the fun - why else would anyone want to mess around with firearms that are not exactly bleeding edge?

And if you can say that all Western action shoots look the same, then imagine how similar IPSC shoots must look - shoot at steel, reload, shoot at steel, move 10 paces, shoot at steel.

We've had clays shoots before. Also had some devices built that would throw an aerial target up when hit, so again the shotgun has a go. Had a championship based on one of the Clint Eastwood westerns (Pale rider), where you had to shoot a target on a dunny. That one also had the device throw a dunny roll into the air, for shotgun.

I think if they all looked the same, it was a case of the course being set with no imagination.

I mess around with firearms that are not modern because I enjoy shooting them, I don't need to wear fancy dress to enjoy them more :-)
IPSC must've changed a lot since my time then. We rarely shot steel, we shot on the run, through and from inside vehicles and structures, while clambering across scaffolding, while kicking in doors and climbing through windows, at moving targets, from all possible positions, and crawling under barriers. It was as much physical exercise as it was speed and accuracy.

I meant that that week after week the shooting always seems to follow the same scheme, like they probably don't even need to rearrange the courses of fire, just leave them permanently set up. Have they never heard of reloading rifles or revolvers in Western Action? In IPSC there were a few courses of fire that would come around again now and then, but generally every time I arrived at the range I knew every course would be something I'd not seen before.
Do you have any video of modern Western Action here in Oz?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mick280 » 26 Jul 2017, 10:08 pm

Do it!!
You'll love it!!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 5404 times
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 27 Jul 2017, 2:28 pm

bladeracer wrote:
BRNO_Bigot wrote:Dressing up is part of the fun - why else would anyone want to mess around with firearms that are not exactly bleeding edge?

I mess around with firearms that are not modern because I enjoy shooting them, I don't need to wear fancy dress to enjoy them more :-)
IPSC must've changed a lot since my time then. We rarely shot steel, we shot on the run, through and from inside vehicles and structures, while clambering across scaffolding, while kicking in doors and climbing through windows, at moving targets, from all possible positions, and crawling under barriers. It was as much physical exercise as it was speed and accuracy.

I meant that that week after week the shooting always seems to follow the same scheme, like they probably don't even need to rearrange the courses of fire, just leave them permanently set up. Have they never heard of reloading rifles or revolvers in Western Action? In IPSC there were a few courses of fire that would come around again now and then, but generally every time I arrived at the range I knew every course would be something I'd not seen before.
Do you have any video of modern Western Action here in Oz?

Sorry about the shooting steel, but IPSC did use steel for droppers and occasional falling plates.

As I said, if the shoots all looked the same, the guy who set up the course was imaginatively challenged or maybe there were certain constraints at the range that kept things from being more interesting.
--
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by a 45-70 can fix that » 22 Nov 2017, 5:51 am

i have been into both single action and double action revolvers for a number of years.lately i have been shooting my single actions a lot more.i own several rugers and colt single action army revolvers.in fact my daily carry gun is a ruger vaquero in 45 colt.i have a friend who loads some custom two ball loads in the 45 colt.at ten yards the impact is within 1 1/2 to 2 inches.my six shooter becomes a 12 shooter.i also like the plain lead 255 grain flat points.also i picked up one of the new ruger single seven single action revolvers in .327 federal.the revolver will fire both the 32 long and short along with the 32 magnum in addition to the 327.someone said it will also fire a 32 acp but i haven't tried that yet.that thing hits like a 357 magnum.i paired the revolver with a henry rifle also in 327.they are my new jeep guns.
a 45-70 can fix that
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers