Silencer/ Suppressor for Pistol Target Shooting

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Silencer/ Suppressor for Pistol Target Shooting

Post by bullzeye » 17 Jul 2017, 10:48 am

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone in NSW, or other states for that matter have got a silencer/ suppressor for target shooting with their pistol?

The NSW police website seems to suggest it is possible - http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass ... sMar16.pdf

(http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/services/f ... s/silencer)

Does anyone know the exact process you need to go through? Get a letter from the range, Prohibited Weapons Permit, Prohibited Weapon Silencer Permit - then send it all in?

Would be interested to hear the process if anyone has managed to get it sorted/ how long it all took.

Cheers
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Silencer/ Suppressor for Pistol Target Shooting

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jul 2017, 4:36 pm

bullzeye wrote:Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone in NSW, or other states for that matter have got a silencer/ suppressor for target shooting with their pistol?

The NSW police website seems to suggest it is possible - http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass ... sMar16.pdf

(http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/services/f ... s/silencer)

Does anyone know the exact process you need to go through? Get a letter from the range, Prohibited Weapons Permit, Prohibited Weapon Silencer Permit - then send it all in?

Would be interested to hear the process if anyone has managed to get it sorted/ how long it all took.

Cheers

What reasons were you going to offer them?
I would've thought hearing protection was a requirement of most ranges anyway so I can't see that being offered as a reason. And ranges already have to comply with noise regulations so I can't see general noise affecting neighbours being a reason either.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tinked » 17 Jul 2017, 4:51 pm

This seems to be key, and your first port of call.

Sports Target Shooting at a Range
- You must be the holder of a current firearms licence for the genuine reason of Sport/Target Shooting and provide proof of membership of a Target Shooting Club
- You must nominate the range on which you will be shooting and the range must be approved for the use of silencers and the associated prohibited firearms for noise abatement purposes.

First step, call your local ranges and see if they are approved for the use/various purposes.

If no ranges within visiting range are, then that's your answer for your situation.

I'm kind of thinking most won't be, as everyone else is already there blasting away, right? So 'noise abatement' wouldn't seem to be something they're restricted by.
Tinked
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Chronos » 17 Jul 2017, 5:34 pm

From what I've heard even pro shooters haven't been able to get them approved for nearly 2 years.

Someone's fueling these pipe dreams but I don't like your chances.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bullzeye » 03 Aug 2017, 10:47 am

Spoke to the other members at the club, and not one person has been able to get a supressor.

However, I think if you have a genuine medical need - it may be possible.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Aug 2017, 10:48 pm

bullzeye wrote:Spoke to the other members at the club, and not one person has been able to get a supressor.

However, I think if you have a genuine medical need - it may be possible.

I can't see how. Even if you had some reason you couldn't wear hearing protection you're still at a club with other shooters that don't have suppressors.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 04 Aug 2017, 10:18 am

You have a snowflake's chance in hell of getting a pistol supressor approved. Hard enough to get a rifle suppressor approved for professional shooters in the field.

As for a medical condition? What feasible reason exists that you would require a suppressor? As others have mentioned, you are at a range surrounded by other shooters, so hearing issues really won't fly.

I can't think of a single hypothetical genuine reason for needing one.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by WatchyShooter » 04 Aug 2017, 1:47 pm

Supaduke wrote:You have a snowflake's chance in hell of getting a pistol supressor approved. Hard enough to get a rifle suppressor approved for professional shooters in the field.

As for a medical condition? What feasible reason exists that you would require a suppressor? As others have mentioned, you are at a range surrounded by other shooters, so hearing issues really won't fly.

I can't think of a single hypothetical genuine reason for needing one.

Overlooking the ability to reduce ones sound is the fault most people make, as I’ve pointed out in other threads, by law you are able to apply, but the FAR stance is “fine, we’ve been made by law to add the option to apply we just won’t process any applications”
If someone was to waste their own time applying and then following through with the proper escalation it might get done
Firearm-less LAFO!
New shooter, guns to come soon!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Supaduke » 05 Aug 2017, 2:39 pm

Using what genuine reason ?
At a target range, I can't think of any, even really long stretches of the imagination can't conjure a legit reason to own one. Legit reasons would be to not disturb neighbours or livestock.

Neighbours are all wearing ear pro, can't recall seeing too many cows at the local pistol range.

I am very happy to be stood corrected, best of luck if someone can push it through.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by WatchyShooter » 05 Aug 2017, 5:40 pm

Supaduke wrote:Using what genuine reason ?
At a target range, I can't think of any, even really long stretches of the imagination can't conjure a legit reason to own one. Legit reasons would be to not disturb neighbours or livestock.

Neighbours are all wearing ear pro, can't recall seeing too many cows at the local pistol range.

I am very happy to be stood corrected, best of luck if someone can push it through.

Here is the research from ECU on the use of suppressors and the reduction in hearing damage

http://ro.ecu.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cg ... uworks2011

I can’t keep saying how important ANY reduction in sounds levels is, I don’t mind if the guy in the next lane is also plugged and wearing ears and is shooting without a suppressor, but it in my lane there’s something I can do outside plugs and muffs to reduce my sound levels, I’d like the ability to do that, and in NSW under the law you do.
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 Aug 2017, 5:47 pm

WatchyShooter wrote:Here is the research from ECU on the use of suppressors and the reduction in hearing damage

http://ro.ecu.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cg ... uworks2011

I can’t keep saying how important ANY reduction in sounds levels is, I don’t mind if the guy in the next lane is also plugged and wearing ears and is shooting without a suppressor, but it in my lane there’s something I can do outside plugs and muffs to reduce my sound levels, I’d like the ability to do that, and in NSW under the law you do.

But at a range you are likely to have somebody shooting on each side of you anyway, so how does it help your hearing if your firearm is quieter than theirs are?

I agree, every shooter should be able to decide whether they want to use a suppressor. But at a pistol range I can't see any "genuine reason" that could be put forward in an application.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by WatchyShooter » 05 Aug 2017, 5:48 pm

If you speak to your range and they if aren’t approved, their is little to zero information on what’s required to have a range approved.

But here’s what I could find direct from them
http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass ... l_2012.pdf
That’s the fact sheet for clubs to become “prohibited weapon ranges”

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass ... proval.pdf
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 09 Aug 2017, 12:35 pm

Slight digression from the original question, but still on suppressors, the Germans obviously subscribe to the "Go big or go home" theory when it comes to muzzle report suppression. Built by Rheinmetal for the German Army tank and artillery test ranges that were being surrounded by encroaching urban development. Even the military is suffering from habitat destruction. The beasty being tested is an M109G Self-Propelled Howitzer.
Attachments
893340_496643477083618_1863621065_o.jpg
893340_496643477083618_1863621065_o.jpg (188.15 KiB) Viewed 5528 times
VQ3oK38.jpg
VQ3oK38.jpg (92.83 KiB) Viewed 5528 times
rpTQdQu.jpg
rpTQdQu.jpg (85.34 KiB) Viewed 5528 times
SNtbApD.jpg
SNtbApD.jpg (126.72 KiB) Viewed 5528 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 09 Aug 2017, 4:32 pm

Looks like a giant dick and balls, dare say the designers are having a laugh at the army's expense.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 Aug 2017, 3:19 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:Slight digression from the original question, but still on suppressors, the Germans obviously subscribe to the "Go big or go home" theory when it comes to muzzle report suppression. Built by Rheinmetal for the German Army tank and artillery test ranges that were being surrounded by encroaching urban development. Even the military is suffering from habitat destruction. The beasty being tested is an M109G Self-Propelled Howitzer.

That would be legal in most states as it doesn't attach to the firearm :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 10 Aug 2017, 6:09 pm

I wonder if the various FARs would require you to keep it in a safe anyway?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers