Try Pistol shooting in victoria?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Try Pistol shooting in victoria?

Post by schism » 05 Aug 2017, 10:48 am

Hi, I just wanted to know if anyone is aware of any places in Victoria which offer "come and try" pistol shooting?

I know that springvale offer it, but it seems you pay $180 and only get 75 rounds. Obviously I don't know what would be a reasonable price, but that still seemed a bit steep to me.

As an example, I found this place in Adelaide http://www.marksmans.com.au/range_packages.php where you can get 100 rounds on a semi auto pistol for around $125 at their indoor range.

Anywhere apart from springvale in Vic where you can come and try and get around 100 rounds? Thanks
schism
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Try Pistol shooting in victoria?

Post by bladeracer » 05 Aug 2017, 5:23 pm

schism wrote:Hi, I just wanted to know if anyone is aware of any places in Victoria which offer "come and try" pistol shooting?

I know that springvale offer it, but it seems you pay $180 and only get 75 rounds. Obviously I don't know what would be a reasonable price, but that still seemed a bit steep to me.

As an example, I found this place in Adelaide http://www.marksmans.com.au/range_packages.php where you can get 100 rounds on a semi auto pistol for around $125 at their indoor range.

Anywhere apart from springvale in Vic where you can come and try and get around 100 rounds? Thanks

I would've thought all pistol clubs would have club guns available as it would be a requirement for training new members.
Do you already have a firearms licence?
Are you a member of a pistol club already?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by schism » 05 Aug 2017, 11:10 pm

No, to both. Don't have my licence, not a member yet. I'm pretty much at a stage of being interested in getting in to IPSC, but I haven't been to an intro day nor have I decided on a club yet.

On paper, the club "practical pistol league Australia" at Eagle Park range seems good: a large club that's fairly active and possibly well organised. But they only have their "intro" days once a month. So I'm going to have to wait until early September to get started with that.

Springvale seems alright too, going by their site. Looks like they have a full on program with various training sessions.

I'd be interested in hearing about people's experiences with the various pistol clubs that of IPSC in Vic, especially at Eagle Park or springvale, so I can get a better idea of which one would be worth signing up with.

but yeah, other than that I'm just wondering if there were any clubs that had a reasonably priced "come and try"
schism
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Justin9mm » 06 Aug 2017, 1:45 am

schism wrote:No, to both. Don't have my licence, not a member yet. I'm pretty much at a stage of being interested in getting in to IPSC, but I haven't been to an intro day nor have I decided on a club yet.

On paper, the club "practical pistol league Australia" at Eagle Park range seems good: a large club that's fairly active and possibly well organised. But they only have their "intro" days once a month. So I'm going to have to wait until early September to get started with that.

Springvale seems alright too, going by their site. Looks like they have a full on program with various training sessions.

I'd be interested in hearing about people's experiences with the various pistol clubs that of IPSC in Vic, especially at Eagle Park or springvale, so I can get a better idea of which one would be worth signing up with.

but yeah, other than that I'm just wondering if there were any clubs that had a reasonably priced "come and try"

With no license and membership, you're a long way from getting into IPSC.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Aug 2017, 4:03 am

schism wrote:No, to both. Don't have my licence, not a member yet. I'm pretty much at a stage of being interested in getting in to IPSC, but I haven't been to an intro day nor have I decided on a club yet.

I would suggest you just join a club and get started. You're going to be waiting a bloody long time before you can buy your own handgun anyway so get the process underway by joining a club.
I would also suggest you get a firearms licence ASAP so you can enjoy some rifle shooting while wading through the months of pistol training. With rifles and shotguns you can be out shooting a month after you put in your licence application (if you lodge the PtA's at the same time as the application).
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ed9362 » 06 Aug 2017, 1:50 pm

I am a member of 3rd military district pistol club at eagle park although I have not been active for some time.

They shoot 2 to 3 times a month and are quite welcoming to new members. Although they are mostly ex army so they have their own way of doing things.

If you PM me I am happy to pass on the email adress of the club coach and you can organize a trial day
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by schism » 07 Aug 2017, 5:30 pm

Good tips guys, thanks. I'll just have to follow the process of the club I join I suppose. And be very patient haha. I always knew it would be a long process to get my full licence, but yeah, at least you can use club guns in the meantime.

I'll have a think about getting the AB licence. That's actually what I originally planned on doing after I tried shooting for the first time at Springvale using their .22 rifles. But then I thought I might get bored of just going to the range and shooting at a target, so I thought going down the IPSC pistol route might be more fun. But yeah, there's no reason I can't do both :)
schism
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Aug 2017, 5:37 pm

schism wrote:Good tips guys, thanks. I'll just have to follow the process of the club I join I suppose. And be very patient haha. I always knew it would be a long process to get my full licence, but yeah, at least you can use club guns in the meantime.

I'll have a think about getting the AB licence. That's actually what I originally planned on doing after I tried shooting for the first time at Springvale using their .22 rifles. But then I thought I might get bored of just going to the range and shooting at a target, so I thought going down the IPSC pistol route might be more fun. But yeah, there's no reason I can't do both :)

The other advantage of rifles and shotguns that pistols don't have, you can use them in more places. Pistols you can only use at pistol clubs.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Atter » 08 Aug 2017, 4:05 pm

I reckon heaps of shooters would be keen on this is more places did it.

I know I would.
Tikka T3 Hunter .260 Remington
Tikka T3 Sporter 6.5x55 SE
CZ 513 .22LR
Atter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers