Double charging a 9mm pistol round

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Double charging a 9mm pistol round

Post by sneaker » 15 Aug 2017, 4:15 pm

Hi guys,

Just killing time and stuffing around on Google, finding pictures of firearm failures and stuff like that.

I don't reload for pistols or shoot them at all, but found a few photos of hand guns which have ruptures supposedly because of a double charge.

My question is, how likely, or possible even, is it to accidentally double charge a 9mm or similar pistol round?

I get going a little over and pressure being a bit high, but I would have thought with double it would be spewing out of the case and you couldn't possible miss it.

I'm wondering if people got a bit power happy with their loads then blamed it on an accident to cover their mistake/ego?
sneaker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Double charging a 9mm pistol round

Post by fenderstrat » 15 Aug 2017, 5:15 pm

I don't reload for pistols (yet), but its my understanding that some pistol powders are not very bulky, making in it possible to double or even triple or quadruple your charges before the case overfills. So just by being distracted or careless while dispensing powder, I can see how easily it would be to double charge a case without noticing.
fenderstrat
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 15 Aug 2017, 5:18 pm

Yep progressive loading presses are renowned for no powder loads (squib) and double charges. Presses like Dillion are designed in a way to minimize these they also have accessories with alarms that sound with low or high charges
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Chronos » 15 Aug 2017, 5:30 pm

If you're using a powder that allows you to double, triple or quadruple charge a 9mm case you're a bloody idiot.

Pistol powders are far more bulky per grain than rifle powders and a mid load of AP70 for example will more than half fill a 9mm case and it's simply a process of visually inspecting the powder charge as you sit the bullet in the case mouth before seating. Even then a double charge will see powder overflow the case making a horrible mess you then need to clean up before continuing to cycle your progressive press.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Aug 2017, 6:04 pm

sneaker wrote:Hi guys,

Just killing time and stuffing around on Google, finding pictures of firearm failures and stuff like that.

I don't reload for pistols or shoot them at all, but found a few photos of hand guns which have ruptures supposedly because of a double charge.

My question is, how likely, or possible even, is it to accidentally double charge a 9mm or similar pistol round?

I get going a little over and pressure being a bit high, but I would have thought with double it would be spewing out of the case and you couldn't possible miss it.

I'm wondering if people got a bit power happy with their loads then blamed it on an accident to cover their mistake/ego?

Use the least dense powder that suits so a double charge will be obvious.
A double charge will blow a gun, but a no charge or "primer only" can also blow a gun if it sticks a bullet in the bore.
Last edited by bladeracer on 15 Aug 2017, 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 15 Aug 2017, 7:43 pm

Chronos wrote:If you're using a powder that allows you to double, triple or quadruple charge a 9mm case you're a bloody idiot.

Pistol powders are far more bulky per grain than rifle powders and a mid load of AP70 for example will more than half fill a 9mm case and it's simply a process of visually inspecting the powder charge as you sit the bullet in the case mouth before seating. Even then a double charge will see powder overflow the case making a horrible mess you then need to clean up before continuing to cycle your progressive press.

Chronos

As30 is a very light powder charge. I use 2.7gr in 38sp and there is bugger all to see in the case.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 15 Aug 2017, 8:13 pm

9mm is a fairly small case, 357mag and 44 mag etc are more suseptable especially with light loads and light bullets
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by brett1868 » 15 Aug 2017, 11:12 pm

In 9mm I run moderate load of 3.3gr AP50 behind a 124gr LRN and it's possible to double charge but is 6.6gr enough to cause damage / injury? General consensus is that you choose a powder of the right burning rate that fills the case for a given projectile mass. This method makes a double charge impossible, it's when you up the rate and reduce the amount that double charges become possible and potentially dangerous.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Streamline » 19 Aug 2017, 9:42 am

bladeracer wrote:A double charge will blow a gun, but a no charge or "primer only" can also blow a gun if it sticks a bullet in the bore.

Leading to a bit of this :?
Attachments
bullet-stuck-pistol-barrell.jpg
Bullets stuck in pistol barrel
bullet-stuck-pistol-barrell.jpg (441.7 KiB) Viewed 4925 times
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker 30-06SPR
Sako M591 .243WIN
CZ ZKM 452 .22LR
Streamline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harper » 29 Aug 2017, 1:14 pm

Has anyone had this happen?

I don't shoot pistols but I just wonder how you could possibly get 8 rounds stuck in a barrel before noticing something's gone awry.
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by bladeracer » 29 Aug 2017, 1:56 pm

Harper wrote:Has anyone had this happen?

I don't shoot pistols but I just wonder how you could possibly get 8 rounds stuck in a barrel before noticing something's gone awry.

He even reloaded :-)
I would guess very light loads. The first bullet stopped at the muzzle but as the others piled in behind it without bursting the barrel they certainly weren't full-power loads.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 29 Aug 2017, 2:26 pm

Hes probably lucky still to have hands and a face.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers