Always on a Budget

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Always on a Budget

Post by Bushie » 05 Sep 2017, 10:58 am

Hey guys is you're broke as all s**t student that's spends what ever money he has left on his favourite hobby shooting

This is obviously somewhere down the track for me but I've always had a love for handguns and was curious if you guys knowbthe cheapest way to getting into handgun shooting and owning a handgun

I'm still young and dumb and the idea of me sitting back in my chair racking the slide over and over again gives me butterflies

Anyway thanks again for all your help
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Always on a Budget

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2017, 11:16 am

Bushie wrote:Hey guys is you're broke as all s**t student that's spends what ever money he has left on his favourite hobby shooting

This is obviously somewhere down the track for me but I've always had a love for handguns and was curious if you guys knowbthe cheapest way to getting into handgun shooting and owning a handgun

I'm still young and dumb and the idea of me sitting back in my chair racking the slide over and over again gives me butterflies

Anyway thanks again for all your help

You're going to have to start by joining a club, which costs money, then attend a bunch of competitions, more money (and time), then after most of a year has crawled past you apply to add Cat H to your licence, and to buy your first handgun...at which point you might find something secondhand for a few hundred dollars...but then you'll need holster, mags, etc, more money. You might also have to upgrade your storage for Cat H, more money.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bushie » 05 Sep 2017, 11:23 am

My local club melton pistol club is the most rundown crack den looking joint I've ever seen and they charge 470 forbthe first year and 420 every year after and that just seems absurd like what are you even laying for considering it's only open 6 hours a week on a Saturday
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2017, 11:29 am

Bushie wrote:My local club melton pistol club is the most rundown crack den looking joint I've ever seen and they charge 470 forbthe first year and 420 every year after and that just seems absurd like what are you even laying for considering it's only open 6 hours a week on a Saturday

You're paying for them to simply exist thus providing you with a club that can sponsor your handgun licence.
You can join a different club if you prefer, but that might make it harder to maintain focus for nine-months or more of training.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bushie » 05 Sep 2017, 11:33 am

Are you part of a club mate if yeah how stingy are they
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2017, 11:57 am

Bushie wrote:Are you part of a club mate if yeah how stingy are they

Nope, I'm not interested in handguns currently - I did IPSC for thirteen years so mostly got it out of my system :-)
But I am developing some interest in Cowboy Action so I might end up getting back into it. The big difficulty is having to operate to somebody else's scheduling, having to attend a specific place at a specific time on a specific day for several hours is hard to fit in.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 05 Sep 2017, 1:00 pm

Ruger mkii and .22 ammo

Cheap as chips shooting
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gun-nut » 05 Sep 2017, 9:47 pm

Maybe just get a collectors licence first if you want to own a handgun, but can't find the time or money to shoot in competition at the current moment. And when you're able to find more time and cost isn't such a problem, get your CAT H for target shooting. Just a suggestion, though a whole different set of criteria apply for CAT H collectors and if you decide to go down that path, I recommend you research into it.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Sep 2017, 9:52 pm

"I'm still young and dumb"
In all seriousness your smart. You understand there is a lot to learn.
The dumb ones are those that think they know everything. Far too many politicians gall into that category.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 06 Sep 2017, 2:03 pm

Cheap handgun shooting is a myth. It's a cash sink.
In all reality, forget it till you have a job.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Bushie » 08 Sep 2017, 10:29 am

Hahaha cheers oldbloke you're not wrong there

Yeah it's looking that way supaduke sadly
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Sep 2017, 10:40 am

Gun-nut wrote:Maybe just get a collectors licence first if you want to own a handgun, but can't find the time or money to shoot in competition at the current moment. And when you're able to find more time and cost isn't such a problem, get your CAT H for target shooting. Just a suggestion, though a whole different set of criteria apply for CAT H collectors and if you decide to go down that path, I recommend you research into it.

Don't collectors also have to join clubs and attend events and such though?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers