Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Beretta APX

Post by No1Mk3 » 06 Dec 2017, 11:50 am

Beretta_APX_Polymer-Frame_Striker Fired.jpg
Beretta_APX_Polymer-Frame_Striker Fired.jpg (200.53 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
Beretta_APX_Polymer-Frame_Striker Fired Rt.jpg
Beretta_APX_Polymer-Frame_Striker Fired Rt.jpg (234.95 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
G'day All,
I recently had the opportunity to fire a the new APX from Beretta. The one I used was a fixed sight 9mm, and whilst I am more inclined to older, classic and antique arms I have shot most of the current offering including the "Plastic Fantastics" The pistol feels very good in the hand as set up, and comes with a number of replaceable grip ends to suit different hand sizes, the sights are easy to aquire, and the trigger is better than the Glock and at least equal to the M&P.
Using S&B 124g ammo it grouped under 4" at 25m one hand unsupported, and with practice (and a better shooter!) should prove itself to be very competitive. Considering this is Beretta's first striker fired pistol it is an excellent package and one can only wonder why it failed to win the recent US Army trials to replace the aging 92's. The winning SIG 320 must be something else again, of course the Beretta rep said it was all "politics", and I'm sure that sort of thing always plays a part.
As of now, the APX is only available in fixed sight 9mm, but adjustable sights and 40cal are expected early in the New Year. Although the APX has not yet been officially adopted by any Military or Police, it is under review by a number of organizations including the Carabinieri, and Beretta expects to start getting orders soon. Priced at around $800, this should do well in our market for Service Match, IPSC or most other comps, Cheers.
PS: Pics are stock photo as I didn't have a camera with me at the time,
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Beretta APX

Post by brett1868 » 06 Dec 2017, 12:54 pm

Was this one actually put forward to the US Military along with the M9A3? Looks very similar to the Walter Q5 Match but guess all polymers look the same. Appears to have a 1911 style mag release and if convertible would be a good choice for the lefty’s.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 06 Dec 2017, 1:17 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Considering this is Beretta's first striker fired pistol it is an excellent package and one can only wonder why it failed to win the recent US Army trials to replace the aging 92's. The winning SIG 320 must be something else again, of course the Beretta rep said it was all "politics", and I'm sure that sort of thing always plays a part.

Chris Bartocci did a pretty scathing review of the testing procedures but I can't find it just now.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_tDPoCymsSKJ4uViL3G_zQ/videos
From memory he was saying that the Sig didn't fail some of the test procedures because they didn't do the required procedures to be able to fail them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 20 Aug 2018, 12:43 pm

Shame the APX we get stuck with looks like arse because of the stupid min barrel length requirement
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 21 Aug 2018, 12:10 am

Sig Sauer learned from the last time they got burned in 1984 when Beretta beat them with the 92 over the 226. The 226 actually won the tests but Beretta put together a better package of service, parts and accessories for like $5 less per pistol. Sig this time came right out of the gate with a total package the Army could not beat and with a price point of $300 per pistol plus accessories, the Army can outfit all of it's combat arms soldiers with a pistol.

The APX seems to have gotten decent enough reviews, I believe the only negative I have heard is they have the accuracy of a Glock.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers