Alfa Proj 22lr+22wmr revolver

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Alfa Proj 22lr+22wmr revolver

Post by Conallin24 » 15 Jan 2018, 8:05 pm

Anyone used a Alfa proj 22lr+22wmr revolver. I like the idea of it and would like to see what people’s thoughts on it are.
Conallin24
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Alfa Proj 22lr+22wmr revolver

Post by AusTac » 15 Jan 2018, 9:01 pm

I think Just starting has one of these? A .22 revolver in a carbine format yeah? I've put quite a few through his alfa and its pretty nice to just tap them off, works well, pretty nice bit of kit, does spit a bit of powder or something back at you every now and again which i felt.. would be the first time i felt i needed some sunnies or something haha
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by juststarting » 15 Jan 2018, 11:49 pm

Correct, Mine is Alfa in .22LR.

AusTac is spot on.

About spitting powder and 22WMR:

(I've shot both, so talking from my experience, but YMMV) Alfa does not come in 22 mag, as far as I know. 22LR (or 38/357 because why not?). You may be thinking of the Taurus Circuit Judge, it comes with 2 cylinders - 22LR and 22 mag... Taurus (black in video) has an oversized forcing cone and leaks a lot of gas. It has blast shields, so you won't be getting stuff flying on your arms or face, but you will be getting a noticeably weaker round (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN2D0PmIDMM).

Alfa has much lower tolerance, but no blast shield - such is the nature of the revolver action. I notice that I get splatter with the first round and then once in a while, but not often. Doesn't bother me.

Both are pretty funky, just depends what you are after. Personally, I really like Alfa over the Taurus for 22. Hard to explain, but there's just a huge difference, for me Alfa wins, but I also see why someone would go with Circuit Judge. Also, if you are planning to scope it, I have a red dot on mine, factor in $80-$100 for a proprietary Alfa rail, worth it. Revolver action carbines already look like something out of some steam punk novel, it ain't going to get prettier, so may as well make it more punk :)

Bonus round
If I was to go for a larger caliber in the same action, I'd probably get both, Alfa 357 and Circuit Judge 44MAG (probably buy this first, since I am setup for 44 already), like them both (Alfa looks a lot better though). I would not consider Circuit Judge in 45LC.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 16 Jan 2018, 2:58 am

They have the dual cylinder models for revolvers but the hunter carbines dont appear to have both on their website, only sold as 22lr or 22wmr. I was looking at a revolver sone time back.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by snag » 12 May 2018, 7:32 pm

The Alpha in .357 is the most fun you can have with your pants on. I would imagine the .22 would be too.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 12 May 2018, 9:35 pm

snag wrote:The Alpha in .357 is the most fun you can have with your pants on. I would imagine the .22 would be too.

Where can I find these Alfa things?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 13 May 2018, 10:53 am

bladeracer wrote:
snag wrote:The Alpha in .357 is the most fun you can have with your pants on. I would imagine the .22 would be too.

Where can I find these Alfa things?

O'Reilys and Sunshine have them on the rack, probably lots of other shops have them -that's just where I've seen them recently.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 13 May 2018, 2:28 pm

bladeracer, what are you thinking? 357 or 22? Or both?
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 13 May 2018, 3:25 pm

:clap: :thumbsup:
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 13 May 2018, 9:03 pm

juststarting wrote:bladeracer, what are you thinking? 357 or 22? Or both?

I was thinking .357Mag, but a .22LR seems like fun too.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 13 May 2018, 9:14 pm

Suppose it depends on what you want it for... But ammo goes real quick in them.

After 22lr, I think I want a 357 too, lol I want them all!
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 May 2018, 9:24 pm

juststarting wrote:Suppose it depends on what you want it for... But ammo goes real quick in them.

After 22lr, I think I want a 357 too, lol I want them all!

Just for plinking fun.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 13 May 2018, 9:47 pm

Yeah, think of the ammo. That said, I want both :/
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by snag » 15 May 2018, 6:17 pm

The 22lr would be convenient in that you can just buy a brick of ammo for not a lot and fill your boots. The .357, however, gives you that really satisfying "bang, kick" when you fire it and is cheap to load with Berry copper-wash projectiles, AP 70N and once-fired brass. Depends on how much time you have and what your preference is. I'm a "bang, kick" guy myself.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers