Noob Needs Assistance

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Noob Needs Assistance

Post by Angel » 22 Feb 2018, 6:56 pm

Ello Ello all.

Just a quick one. This question may seem stoopid but i would like some advice.

I am sitting my Cat H (Handgun) safety course next month. Obviously i have to wait the seveteen years it takes Qld Pol to issue it to me but that's beside the point. My question is about caliber. .22 vs 9mm. I have done some research and must admit i am yet to fire either caliber (outside of the .22 rifles i own), but what do you guys recommend for a first handgun. I know .22 is a crap load cheaper on ammo etc. and i don't want to break my own nose firing a .45 :sarcasm: (lol), but it just seems like the .22 is not as enjoyable as the 9mm BUT, bad habits are more easily corrected when learning on a .22 due to lack of kick etc.

Any Suggestions or advice for a soon to be new pistol shooter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and sorry if the question is lame, I just have little experience in the hand gun field.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Noob Needs Assistance

Post by bladeracer » 22 Feb 2018, 7:17 pm

Angel wrote:Ello Ello all.

Just a quick one. This question may seem stoopid but i would like some advice.

I am sitting my Cat H (Handgun) safety course next month. Obviously i have to wait the seveteen years it takes Qld Pol to issue it to me but that's beside the point. My question is about caliber. .22 vs 9mm. I have done some research and must admit i am yet to fire either caliber (outside of the .22 rifles i own), but what do you guys recommend for a first handgun. I know .22 is a crap load cheaper on ammo etc. and i don't want to break my own nose firing a .45 :sarcasm: (lol), but it just seems like the .22 is not as enjoyable as the 9mm BUT, bad habits are more easily corrected when learning on a .22 due to lack of kick etc.

Any Suggestions or advice for a soon to be new pistol shooter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and sorry if the question is lame, I just have little experience in the hand gun field.

I'm assuming you mean one or the other because you can't have both?
Being as you can only burn ammo at the range, which is not open every day, there is probably only so much shooting you can do. Are you intending to load your own ammo?

If not then I would say .22LR and a few cases of ammo, and get to the range at every opportunity. I've used the Ruger Mk1 and it's a fun gun. I've also used a Ruger revolver that had an additional WMR cylinder (I don't recall what it was). It was more accurate than the semi-auto, but not quite as much fun for me.

My brother asked me a similar question yesterday, he wanted to try to use one caliber centrefire for different competitions. If you want to go bigger than 9mm/.357/.38 Super then you need to look at Cowboy Action or Metallic Silhouette. As far as I can gather we no longer have Major Power Factor in IPSC, and 10rd mag restrictions. I think .357 Magnum can still be used in IPSC, as well as rifles and revolvers for Western Action and Silhouette. It might even be possible to find a bullet that works equally well in .357 and 9mm but I wouldn't be too concerned about that. You could use .44 Magnum or .45 Long Colt in Cowboy and Silhouette, but not in IPSC. You can also use the .357 and .44 in hunting rifles.

But purely for IPSC my choice would be 9mm in one of the CZ85 clones.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 22 Feb 2018, 7:31 pm

Hey, I'm doing the same, albeit a little further in the process... Personally, I found 9mm to be a lot more fun than 22LR. Rifle, I feel differently about, but with handguns, 9mm seems make me smile the most. 38 out of revolver is fun too, probably second most fun, but, horses for courses... Just shoot a few club guns and decide what feels better. You'll just know.

If it's a money thing, than 22LR is the go.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Joffa » 22 Feb 2018, 8:02 pm

Learning with a .22 is better for a few reasons.
There’s a reason most clubs give learners .22s and no doubt I’ve forgotten a few reasons.

The low amount of recoil allows you to see and correct bad trigger technique, (you’ll literally see your gun move in various directions with bad trigger technique) whereas this is difficult to see in a hand gun with more recoil aka 9mm as it jumps off target straight away, if you don’t have correct and consistent technique, forget placing well in comps or ever getting more accurate.

The .22 is also a s**t load cheaper and when you’ll be burning through hundreds of rounds regularly for practise it’s a lot cheaper.
I’ve always with everything started with the basic skills and then step them up with everything and hand gun shooting is no different.
Definitely get both though :lol:
Joffa
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by bullzeye » 23 Feb 2018, 8:32 am

I’d start on the 22.

As a beginner you want to shoot a lot of rounds down range to get your practice up. The price of ammo plays a big part in that.

You could do a day of shooting, say 500 shots of 22LR for $50-60, possibly a little more depending on the type of ammo.

500 rounds of 9mm would be 4 or 5 times that price. Could be an expensive day out!
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Cryptic » 23 Feb 2018, 10:13 am

I had same dilemma except mine was over wanting a revolver in 357 or a 22. Range ammo was $10 for 22 and $35 for 38sp. I bought a revolver and load my own ammo then use the range 22s if need be, that works for me.
Being able to use club guns and loading your own ammo is one option to weigh up choices.
Also look at what you want to shoot for competitions, general range target or IPSC etc.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Angel » 23 Feb 2018, 4:51 pm

Thanks Guys appreciate the responses. I reckon I will start with a .22, cheaper and easier to learn on then work my way up form their. Thanks once again.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers