Probationary license question

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Probationary license question

Post by coma75 » 28 Feb 2018, 6:52 pm

Greetings, I'm currently in my first six month period and would like to know just when that started. I've asked other (licensed) shooters and received differing answers. The most common seems to be "The day/date you got your photo and paid at the RTA". I'f anyone is able to provide some official or definitive answer would be greatly appreciated.
Also when is the "best" time to send off my first PTA? Mailed after the six month period? 1 week before it ends so they receive and start the 28 day wait as soon as the six months is up or?....
Thanks.
coma75
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Probationary license question

Post by Justin9mm » 01 Mar 2018, 2:32 pm

EDIT: Disregard my post unless you are in Victoria.. Sorry Coma75, I thought you were in VIC for some reason!

Whatever the expiry date is on your provisional license card is the date it officially started exactly 6 months prior to that.

You can send off your first PTA with your full license application a month beforehand, there's not an exact date when they won't accept it but I know it's definitely okay to submit at least 4 weeks before. They will process it and wait until your provisional period ends and then issue the full license, once you pay for that and get your photo, then they should issue the Permit so you should get it not long after your license comes out. Getting a PTA to them early obviously allows you to not have to wait the 28 day cooling off period after you get your full license.

Also a couple of facts LRD might not tell you.. You have 30 days to purchase the firearm once the PTA is issued.. In the example you order a new firearm from a dealer on order from the manufacturer overseas and you've been told an arrival date so you put your PTA application in which gets issued but the firearm gets delayed, you can extend a PTA up to 2 times. BUT.. If it has been 90 days or more since the original PTA was issued, then you need to complete a whole new PTA application.

I know this because it has currently happened to me, I've been waiting since October for a pistol that was meant to come, had extended my PTA twice and now on my second PTA application for it, all because the manufacturer's shipment to Australia has had huge unexpected delays. Out of the dealer's hands and I quickly find out Firearm importation laws are a joke!
Last edited by Justin9mm on 02 Mar 2018, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bullzeye » 01 Mar 2018, 3:46 pm

You are in NSW I take it?

It’s the date you paid for your license/ photocard at the RMS.

Re sending in your first PTA, you have to wait 6 months exactly as a minimum before they can receive and process your first PTA. Don’t send it in after 5 months and 3 weeks as they will prob knock it back.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 01 Mar 2018, 3:59 pm

First up, welcome :) Always good to have another pistol shooter on board. Bullzeye nailed the answer for NSW and given the current processing times you're possibly up for a 6-7 week turnaround. What club are you shooting with? What pistol/s you thinking to buy?
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 01 Mar 2018, 5:04 pm

Having just gone through this a couple of months ago, listen to Bullzeye and Brett.
Sorry Justin, that may be that case in Victoria, but not here in NSW.
Our probationary licence is for 12 months, but you can apply for your first PTA after the first 6 months.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by coma75 » 01 Mar 2018, 7:55 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the answers. I'm in regional NSW & I've already lined up a really nice Volquartsen scorpion primarily for the cheap 22 ammo and it will do everything I need it for till I start looking at other disciplines.
coma75
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 01 Mar 2018, 8:07 pm

Another ruger clone :lol: looking at Brett1868

Coma75 Where do you shoot?
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 01 Mar 2018, 9:29 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Another ruger clone :lol: looking at Brett1868

Coma75 Where do you shoot?

Heheheh...screw you Wylie27 :lol:

I like this guy, he's got great taste in hand guns :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Justin9mm » 02 Mar 2018, 11:13 am

Gamerancher wrote:Having just gone through this a couple of months ago, listen to Bullzeye and Brett.
Sorry Justin, that may be that case in Victoria, but not here in NSW.
Our probationary licence is for 12 months, but you can apply for your first PTA after the first 6 months.

My bad.. Rookie mistake, I thought he was from VIC for some reason! Just disregard everything I said! LOL

By the way, that's a long time on Probationary, I thought Vic was bad.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 02 Mar 2018, 4:54 pm

Here’s a heads up on the Volquartzen “Ruger Clone” in Wylie speak, mine tends to favour the expensive euro branded ammo such as Lapua & RWS. It works with any ammo but peak accuracy tends to be with the expensive stuff.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers