Handgun collecting and approval to fire from collection

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Handgun collecting and approval to fire from collection

Post by Andyblue670 » 05 Mar 2018, 10:27 am

Hello all, new to the forum. I am a handgun collector.
I am seeking advice from other collectors regarding asking permission to fire guns from your collection.

I am in Victoria so knowledge of Victorian State laws would be best.

How do I go about it step by step? What are the accepted reasons used for wanting to fire guns from a collection that is accepted by the current laws.

Cheers
Andyblue670
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Handgun collecting and approval to fire from collection

Post by Andyblue670 » 05 Mar 2018, 5:28 pm

Probably would be. However I am asking here as well.
Andyblue670
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 05 Mar 2018, 5:52 pm

G'day Andyblue670,
First, are you a member of a pistol club? If not, does your collectors club hold range days? To shoot your collectibles at your normal pistol club you would need the committee to nominate one of your normal comps as a collectors shoot and nominate a theme for that shoot, ie: War in the Pacific, Detective Specials etc, then apply for a Permit, either as a club or individual. There are restrictions on individual permits if a club permit is also sought. If you are not a member of a normal pistol club, and your collectors club does hold range days then your collectors club will be able to include you in the next Permit application. If your club does not hold range days, then you have a problem, not insurmountable, but will be long and involved to overcome, any more specific info I can help with after work tomorrow morning, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 05 Mar 2018, 8:06 pm

Welcome to the forum, best place to ask would be firearms licensing, then the secretary of your collecting club. Which club are you a member of?
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Andyblue670 » 06 Mar 2018, 4:59 am

I did not realise there was that much involved. I am not a part of a target shooting pistol club. My collecting club is the Victorian arms and collectors guild. I was under the impression once a year you could apply to fire some of a collection for testing purposes.

So the best course of action would be to ask my club if they have any club approved shooting events and possibly join a target shooting club?
Andyblue670
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bullzeye » 06 Mar 2018, 6:41 am

Have you ever shot the guns before?

If so, under what conditions?
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Andyblue670 » 06 Mar 2018, 7:08 am

Yes. I hunt, reload and load develop. I have shot about 6 NORI's and done the firearms safety course at Springvale for pistols. I had been accepted by the club to join however other of lifes things got in the way such as work. I have been shooting since I was a boy. Not sure what any of that has to do with having a shoot in a controlled environment though.
Andyblue670
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers