Sig Sauer P320?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Sig Sauer P320?

Post by Diizane » 23 Mar 2018, 8:31 am

Hi guys, as some of you may be aware of the p320 im here to ask a question regarding its modulararity.

QLD Laws say you can only own one centrefire in the first 12 months of posessing your license, so my question is.. as the serialized part of the gun is the firing mechanism and not the slide/barrel/frame, does that mean obtaining a caliber change kit would be in violation or the law of owning one handgun?

I believe for glocks that is the case, as the serial number changes on the slide classifying it as another firearm.
Diizane
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Sig Sauer P320?

Post by Justin9mm » 23 Mar 2018, 11:19 am

This is an interesting question, which I don't know the answer to but curious to know. I'm in VIC so I assume the law is different but my buddy bought his first 9mm and bought a 22 conversion kit for it also and that is not recognised as having two firearms or two classes of guns for comp requirements. In VIC the number of required comps would increase owning a separate 22 pistol in addition to a 9mm I believe but in his case with the conversion kit it somehow does not apply. What calibre conversion kit are you wanting?
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by LilTacker » 23 Mar 2018, 11:24 am

If you are talking about a 22lr conversion kit then the answer is no, you can't have one as well in the first 12 months as it is classed as another class.
It will also have a serial number and must be recorded on your "weapons" list.
If you want to only change centrefire calibre, ie 9mm to 357Sig, then I don't think you would have a problem if it was only a barrel change

LT
LilTacker
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Justin9mm » 23 Mar 2018, 11:41 am

LilTacker wrote:If you are talking about a 22lr conversion kit then the answer is no, you can't have one as well in the first 12 months as it is classed as another class.
If you want to only change centrefire calibre, ie 9mm to 357Sig, then I don't think you would have a problem if it was only a barrel change

LT

Wow, how strict and silly.. Basically can't shoot 22 conversion kit but 357sig.. Knock yourself out! lol

I understand that technically one is rimfire and one centrefire but that is not logical.. I'm glad it's not like that down here. And only 6 months for us, not 12.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by LilTacker » 23 Mar 2018, 1:37 pm

One thing QLD WLB don't seem to be is logical.
Another bit of their logical nonsense is if say you have a 9mm P320 and a 22lr conversion kit for it you have to do a minimum of 4 comp shoots for each class even though it technically it is only one gun.
My question to WLB is what if you sell the P320 and only have the conversion kit, how do you do your required shoots?
LilTacker
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Diizane » 23 Mar 2018, 1:40 pm

LilTacker wrote:If you are talking about a 22lr conversion kit then the answer is no, you can't have one as well in the first 12 months as it is classed as another class.

LT

The P320 doesn't have a 22lr conversion kit as of yet, or if it ever will as it's a striker fired pistol which i am fine with. I'm more interested in whether if it would be legal for me to obtain a conversion kit to .357Sig or if i would have to wait until my 12 months expire.

The only serial number on the gun is the internal fire control unit, changing the caliber won't change the serial on this gun, hence the confusion on whether this is legal.
Diizane
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 23 Mar 2018, 2:31 pm

When I was looking at a CF/RF conversion setup I was told no on the 12 month thing but mainly because the 22lr kits were serialised.
For 9mm to 357sig it will just be like a barrel replacement in QLD no PTA needed if not serialised.
If the barrel is serialised then you will run into the whole PTA and 2nd firearm thing stupidly.
WLB dont really understand or account for that.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers