Question on APX

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Question on APX

Post by Rider888 » 31 Mar 2018, 6:43 am

Can anyone please tell me why there are 2 variants on the Gunworld Aus website for the APX? I only came across the variant with the barrel sticking out on some, not all, Aus stores. I personally prefer the version without the barrel sticking out. Only difference I can see is the one with the barrel sticking out has a 10 round mag whereas the other version has the 17 round mag hence the difference in price. Both the specs state that the barrel length is 124mm.

Cheers

APX 1.png

APX 2.png
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Question on APX

Post by Wylie27 » 31 Mar 2018, 8:33 am

The one with the barrel sticking out is club approved as it needed to be extended to meet the 124mm. Also why it has the 10 round magazine.

The other one is for security personnel only, has the 17 round magazine and is not club approved.

Not sure If you could buy it with 10 round magazine..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 31 Mar 2018, 8:47 am

Thank you Wylie27. Such a shame though that they have these requirements.
Nothing like spoiling the looks of a nice Pistol
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 31 Mar 2018, 10:26 am

The photos of the one with the bit sticking out has a threaded end to the barrel, and definitely longer than the standard barrel as a result. The ugly wart on the end is the thread-protector.
Note that not all of the photos for the 10-shot APX show it with that barrel; likely NOT going to be supplied as part of the standard kit. Beretta dont show the threaded barrel as an option for this model on their international site.

A threaded barrel would be handy to add a suppressor or a muzzle brake, but I'll be surprised if you'll have the option for one.

A bit more digging... It seems the APX can have a number of different grip sizes; I think small medium and large. The grip includes the whole bottom of the weapon plastic, so underneath the slide etc. Each grip also has 3 different interchangeable back-straps to choose the best fit for your hand. One video had a message that said the 'large' grip could take 17 rounds in the mag.
I also note the 2018 lineup for this handgun will have a 'Combat' version, which has a red-dot sight, AND threaded barrel for fitting a suppressor. Maybe the 10-shot photos with the threaded barrel are something to do with this?
I'm guessing the 17-shot version is the same basic handgun, fitted with the 'Large' grip, wheras the 10-shot version is the one with the 'small' grip.

I hope this helps.
[Sorry; not really talking about club compliance, just talking about why the handgun would have multiple different styles and/or muzzles.]

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rider888 » 01 Apr 2018, 9:43 am

Now, some people "laughed" when I suggested that I would be buying a Beretta. Why is that? I was always under the impression that Beretta's were good reliable guns. Might have to re-evaluate and put the Glock back on the table and MAYBE even consider a Sig P320 cause they all seem to be in the same price bracket of about $900

Thoughts?
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 01 Apr 2018, 10:23 am

The APX seems to be a competent enough pistol in the already crowded striker fired pistol market. Haven't heard any major issues with them. I think it's a matter of trying out what fits for you. Personally I think Glock is falling behind in this market and the competition.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Rod_outbak » 01 Apr 2018, 11:33 am

[Rider888]:-
'Now, some people "laughed" when I suggested that I would be buying a Beretta. Why is that? I was always under the impression that Beretta's were good reliable guns. Might have to re-evaluate and put the Glock back on the table and MAYBE even consider a Sig P320 cause they all seem to be in the same price bracket of about $900

Thoughts?'

There are very few 'Bulk' firearms manufacturers who havent had a dud product or two....

It doesnt mean the whole brand should be thrown out, though some brands seem to have more dodgey models than others.

Beretta is a very big international firearms manufacturing company, and to win various military contracts, have produced some models in different countries. However, I seriously doubt they would have secured all of those military contracts if they were a crap brand overall.

I know that if you were buying a Beretta Silver Pigeon shotgun, you'd have a lot of people weeping with envy (if that sort of shotgun was their thing..).

I've also seen people laugh at Howa for quality, and yet there are plenty of people who win distance shooting comps with them. I also know a ****** of roo shooters who have 5 or more Howas, and swear by them as a work-horse rifle. Roo-Shooters arent going to buy crap firearms if they cant get them to shoot consistently.

I've fired a Beretta Model 96(?? - couple of years ago) in 9mm, and years previously shot a Taurus PT-99, which was the Taurus copy of the Beretta Model 92. They were both reliable, solid handguns, and pretty well designed for their role. I dont like the trigger (1911 man, myself) on the Double-Action autos, but I havent ever fired a LDA pistol yet, so am still willing to be swayed.
I do like the ability to customise the Beretta to suit the shooter, but given the issues around the barrel being too short for club use, and the difficulty you'll face in getting accessories in Australia, I'd say buying that particular model will involve a LOT of frustration.
Nothing against Beretta as a brand, though.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers