First Pistol Finally Arrived

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

First Pistol Finally Arrived

Post by Baldrick314 » 01 Jan 2014, 8:40 pm

After 6 months of waiting and various problems I finally have my first pistol.

Image It's a Glock 34 in 9mm.

I originally set out to buy a Beretta 92FS but after finding out the supplier was sold out and had no idea when they'd get more in I started looking for a second hand pistol to tide me over until they're available. After finding something well priced in good condition I made my purchase and waited for it to be sent down from QLD. After waiting a week with no word I called the shop who contacted Aus Post who informed us that the package had been misplaced :shock:. Two more weeks of waiting and the pistol finally showed up at my gun dealer. Another week waiting for it to be registered in NSW and finally I have it in my hands and can start shooting!

I would have put up a better photo but I managed to drop my phone on christmas and break the camera :lol:
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: First Pistol Finally Arrived

Post by Eduardo » 02 Jan 2014, 2:41 am

Excellent choice! I want the same gun bad but am reluctant to get one because I perceive it as too much overlap with my Glock 19. But I may cave in one day and get it. It's exactly what I want in a 9mm. Fun, reliable and can shoot a bullet into a fly's ass at 50 paces :)

Enjoy!
A volatile mixture of implacable OCD and vexatiuous ADD.
Eduardo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by harlow » 02 Jan 2014, 8:04 am

Baldrick314 wrote:After waiting a week with no word I called the shop who contacted Aus Post who informed us that the package had been misplaced :shock:

Crap, really?

That's a worry. Did they give any further info on where it went by any chance :shock:
Savage 25 Lightweight Varminter .223 Rem
Savage Model 25 LVT .17HMR
harlow
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 02 Jan 2014, 8:12 am

harlow wrote:
Baldrick314 wrote:After waiting a week with no word I called the shop who contacted Aus Post who informed us that the package had been misplaced :shock:

Crap, really?

That's a worry. Did they give any further info on where it went by any chance :shock:

It was sent to the wrong sorting depot. The real worrying part is that Aus Post still don't know it's been delivered, I had to notify the shop myself
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 02 Jan 2014, 8:18 am

Eduardo wrote:Excellent choice! I want the same gun bad but am reluctant to get one because I perceive it as too much overlap with my Glock 19. But I may cave in one day and get it. It's exactly what I want in a 9mm. Fun, reliable and can shoot a bullet into a fly's ass at 50 paces :)

Enjoy!

I didn't expect to like it as much as I do. It's easy to see why the Glocks are so popular as a service pistol. I'll post back when I actually get a chance to shoot it :)
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Harts » 02 Jan 2014, 8:39 am

Looking goooood, Baldrick ;)
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Hatter » 02 Jan 2014, 9:25 am

Baldrick314 wrote:I didn't expect to like it as much as I do. It's easy to see why the Glocks are so popular as a service pistol. I'll post back when I actually get a chance to shoot it :)

Now you just have to start hating 1911's and you're a true glock shooter ;)
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Monty » 02 Jan 2014, 9:30 am

Hatter wrote:Now you just have to start hating 1911's and you're a true glock shooter ;)

Oi, don't bring that crap in here :P
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Deco » 02 Jan 2014, 9:33 am

Baldrick314 wrote:It was sent to the wrong sorting depot. The real worrying part is that Aus Post still don't know it's been delivered, I had to notify the shop myself

I take it that they don't know it's a gun they're shipping? It's just treated as a regular parcel?
Browning X-Bolt Hunter in .270 Winchester
Deco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 02 Jan 2014, 10:22 am

Deco wrote:
Baldrick314 wrote:It was sent to the wrong sorting depot. The real worrying part is that Aus Post still don't know it's been delivered, I had to notify the shop myself

I take it that they don't know it's a gun they're shipping? It's just treated as a regular parcel?

Apparently. I thought it would have to go through a courier but apparently just registered post
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by rigatoni » 02 Jan 2014, 10:45 am

Deco wrote:I take it that they don't know it's a gun they're shipping? It's just treated as a regular parcel?

You'd have to do that dangerous goods declaration surely?

I've never done one, so don't know what they actually ask you in it though...
Weaver Grand Slam
Savage 11/111 FCNS .270 Winchester
rigatoni
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 02 Jan 2014, 11:30 am

rigatoni wrote:
Deco wrote:I take it that they don't know it's a gun they're shipping? It's just treated as a regular parcel?

You'd have to do that dangerous goods declaration surely?

I've never done one, so don't know what they actually ask you in it though...

The gunshop I bought it off handled it and they said regustered post was all that was needed
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 02 Jan 2014, 12:14 pm

I don't know what the process is behind the scenes at Australia post for shipping firearms, but they would have to know what they were sending.

Thinking of the hoops us LAFO have to jump through with our firearms, there is no way the powers that be would let one just go through the mail without it being follow closely by someone...

I don't know who, but someone surely...
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Calamity Jen » 02 Jan 2014, 8:55 pm

Noice! I would love a Glock 34 Gen 4. I'd love to actually hold it and see how I fair with the grip size. That's the trouble with small hands. I enquired about one in my LGS and the gent there said he had no idea when he could get one in? He said there is a shortage of them in America, which puzzles me as they are Austrian. I bet he was just trying to fob me off. As a female shooter, I tend to get that a lot unfortunately. But I'm not giving up that easily thankfully. ;)
Calamity Jen
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 02 Jan 2014, 9:33 pm

Calamity Jen wrote:Noice! I would love a Glock 34 Gen 4. I'd love to actually hold it and see how I fair with the grip size. That's the trouble with small hands. I enquired about one in my LGS and the gent there said he had no idea when he could get one in? He said there is a shortage of them in America, which puzzles me as they are Austrian. I bet he was just trying to fob me off. As a female shooter, I tend to get that a lot unfortunately. But I'm not giving up that easily thankfully. ;)

I don't think they're trying to fob you off. Same problem I had with the beretta. The americans have been buying like crazy in case their laws change soon. There's a fair few out there secondhand so shouldn't be too hard to buy one. As for trying one first, see if anyone at your local club has one you can try. Good luck :)
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by maxi » 03 Jan 2014, 9:25 am

Calamity Jen wrote:He said there is a shortage of them in America, which puzzles me as they are Austrian.

Bigger buyers in the US get priority I guess?

I don't know what the numbers are, but I suppose that for everyone 1 firearm that is bought for Australia, probably 30 or 40 are bought for the US?
maxi
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Post by Calamity Jen » 03 Jan 2014, 7:50 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:
Calamity Jen wrote:Noice! I would love a Glock 34 Gen 4. I'd love to actually hold it and see how I fair with the grip size. That's the trouble with small hands. I enquired about one in my LGS and the gent there said he had no idea when he could get one in? He said there is a shortage of them in America, which puzzles me as they are Austrian. I bet he was just trying to fob me off. As a female shooter, I tend to get that a lot unfortunately. But I'm not giving up that easily thankfully. ;)

I don't think they're trying to fob you off. Same problem I had with the beretta. The americans have been buying like crazy in case their laws change soon. There's a fair few out there secondhand so shouldn't be too hard to buy one. As for trying one first, see if anyone at your local club has one you can try. Good luck :)

Good idea about asking around my club. So far, no one has one. Plenty of M&Ps/Barettas though. ;) I will keep trying (read:pestering) :D

maxi wrote:
Calamity Jen wrote:He said there is a shortage of them in America, which puzzles me as they are Austrian.

Bigger buyers in the US get priority I guess?

I don't know what the numbers are, but I suppose that for everyone 1 firearm that is bought for Australia, probably 30 or 40 are bought for the US?

That's a point, I hadn't thought of that. I guess the larger, collective purchasing power has the US get first dibs.
Calamity Jen
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 03 Jan 2014, 8:12 pm

Calamity Jen wrote:Good idea about asking around my club. So far, no one has one. Plenty of M&Ps/Barettas though. ;) I will keep trying (read:pestering) :D

There's nothing wrong with the berettas :)
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by eeckle » 04 Jan 2014, 5:07 pm

Calamity Jen wrote:Good idea about asking around my club. So far, no one has one.

Well that's a promising start... :lol:
eeckle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers