PTA application

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

PTA application

Post by Jasonf » 15 Apr 2018, 4:19 pm

Just thought I would share a happy ending story I had with some very helpful QLD weapons license staff recently.
I recently put in a pta to get a Smith & Wesson 2.0.
I submitted my pta on the 28/11/17 I then received an email to say that my permit was approved 2 weeks later. Then the next day I get another email asking me to contact weapons licensing about my pta. The reason being was that the barrel length I submitted on my application was 108 mm not knowing that the minimum length barrel I could have was 120 mm. So after talking to them I was making phone calls to try and confirm what the length of my barrel was ( the length I submitted was straight from the Smith & Wesson website). All the gun shops I rang couldn’t help me even the one I was buying the pistol from, so a heap more calls later still no confirmation on a barrel length. Then 2 days later I get a phone call from a very helpful weapons licensing officer who had off his own back went out and found the information himself turns out it is 120 mm and not the 108 mm stated on website, and that everything was fine. Couple of days later pta is in the letterbox.
Moral of the story is that weapons licensing are not always bad guys. Also ensure you have the correct information to ensure a smooth application process.
Jasonf
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: PTA application

Post by Cryptic » 15 Apr 2018, 9:16 pm

M&P 2 by chance? the barrel in the standard is 108mm. The threaded ones are the Aust legal ones which brings it to 117mm which is close enough by standards. Was another pistol at 118mm I cant recall brand that had same length issue.
Not sure if they are pinned mags or welded to bring to the 10cap limit though as I couldnt find a 10 capacity threaded on S&W page only the CORE and PRO had 127mm barrel and 10 capacity.

Here are the specs you needed most likely.
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-9-m20-threaded-barrel
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: PTA application

Post by Jasonf » 18 Apr 2018, 8:01 pm

Yes M&P 2.0 mate. Thank for the additional info.
Jasonf
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers