Glock 17 Gen 5

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Glock 17 Gen 5

Post by Rider888 » 23 Apr 2018, 12:13 pm

Would you buy this over the Gen 4 or the new 19X?

Interested in opinions
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Glock 17 Gen 5

Post by brett1868 » 23 Apr 2018, 1:08 pm

I'll relate the experience of a new Glock owner from last Friday nights range session. A friend of mine just bought his first pistol, a Glock 17 G4 and was made keen to shoot so Wylie27, Myself, the boy and my neighbor headed out to St Mary's. I donated 200 rounds of 9mm and another 100 of .357 Magnum, after his first mag @ 15m there's wasn't a hole to be seen in the target. A little coaching from me got him on paper, a little more from Wylie27 got him into the black and certainly by the nights end he was getting some reasonable groups from the Glock.
To make it a bit more fun there were a couple of CZ's (Shadow II & SP01 Orange) along with the Coonan .357 he could shoot. After a few shots from the CZ's he's gone from Glock Fan boy to "Where can I buy a CZ tomorrow?" in a couple mags. He shot much better with the CZ compared to the Glock and saw the results for himself on the target.
If you don't have a CZ and want to do any sort of competitive shooting matches then forget the Glock. Don't get me wrong, the Glock is a good solid and reliable pistol (I own 3) but they are not in the same class as a CZ.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 23 Apr 2018, 1:58 pm

What Brett said.

I will add, it is the most terrible, horrible, craptastic trigger i have ever had the misfortune to shoot!

Glock 17’s are for cops and soldiers. Not comp shooters
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 23 Apr 2018, 3:39 pm

Thanks guys. I shot my first glock 17A on the weekend too from 10 and had a grouping of about 100mm
It felt nice and I admit that it was nicer to handle (lighter) than the M&P 2.0
Wouldn’t mind popping in when I’m there weekend if the 12/13 may to have a look at the CZs and the APX if that can be arranged.

Also BRETT, everything is goo dto go for the 12th May. You still available?

Cheers
Last edited by Rider888 on 23 Apr 2018, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 23 Apr 2018, 3:44 pm

Rider888 wrote:Thanks guys. I shot my first glock on the weekend too from 10 and had a grouping of about 100mm
It felt nice and I admit that it was nicer to handle than the M&P
Wouldn’t mind popping in when I’m there weekend if the 12/13 may to have a look at the CZ if that can be arranged.
Also BRETT, I’ll orobably see you Sat the 12th May?
Cheers

Yep, we're good for the 12th :) Come down and have a shot of the CZ before deciding what to buy. I'll bring the Coonan for some fun, a Beretta and possibly the Walther Q5 Match as they're all good. Think of it as a try before you buy experience, I'll even donate the first 200 rounds of 9mm :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 23 Apr 2018, 3:47 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Rider888 wrote:Thanks guys. I shot my first glock on the weekend too from 10 and had a grouping of about 100mm
It felt nice and I admit that it was nicer to handle than the M&P
Wouldn’t mind popping in when I’m there weekend if the 12/13 may to have a look at the CZ if that can be arranged.
Also BRETT, I’ll orobably see you Sat the 12th May?
Cheers

Yep, we're good for the 12th :) Come down and have a shot of the CZ before deciding what to buy. I'll bring the Coonan for some fun, a Beretta and possibly the Walther Q5 Match as they're all good. Think of it as a try before you buy experience, I'll even donate the first 200 rounds of 9mm :)

Thank you thats very kind and certainly much appreciated. Incidentally did you want to meet at the club before or after coming round to my place? I will only be home Fri 11th after 6pm, all sat and sunday 13th May till mid day then I'm travelling again.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 23 Apr 2018, 4:46 pm

Ill come up Sat morning then we can go for a shoot once the work's done :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 23 Apr 2018, 4:48 pm

brett1868 wrote:Ill come up Sat morning then we can go for a shoot once the work's done :)

Thats perfect thanks. Will make contact at the start of the week to remind you and provide you with an address. Cheers
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 24 Apr 2018, 10:16 pm

brett1868 wrote:If you don't have a CZ and want to do any sort of competitive shooting matches then forget the Glock. Don't get me wrong, the Glock is a good solid and reliable pistol (I own 3) but they are not in the same class as a CZ.

Good way to put it. They are a very simple reliable tool and I credit Glock with advancing firearms development but they have been left behind. I shoot everything else much better and more accurately than my Glock 17 Gen 4. When I get around to it I plan on replacing the barrel with an aftermarket barrel and we will see what that does. Currently my Walther PPQ 5 inch groups twice as tight as the Glock.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 25 Apr 2018, 1:21 am

i am not a glock fan but every one i no that carrys one says the same thing it will shoot every time.
i am old school steel and wood and have been thinking of a cz
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 25 Apr 2018, 2:09 am

wrenchman wrote:i am not a glock fan but every one i no that carrys one says the same thing it will shoot every time.
i am old school steel and wood and have been thinking of a cz

Think less, just go buy one you won't be disappointed :) The Shadow 2 model has to be the best balance of features vrs price at the moment.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 25 Apr 2018, 10:42 am

brett1868 wrote:I'll relate the experience of a new Glock owner from last Friday nights range session. A friend of mine just bought his first pistol, a Glock 17 G4 and was made keen to shoot so Wylie27, Myself, the boy and my neighbor headed out to St Mary's. I donated 200 rounds of 9mm and another 100 of .357 Magnum, after his first mag @ 15m there's wasn't a hole to be seen in the target. A little coaching from me got him on paper, a little more from Wylie27 got him into the black and certainly by the nights end he was getting some reasonable groups from the Glock.
To make it a bit more fun there were a couple of CZ's (Shadow II & SP01 Orange) along with the Coonan .357 he could shoot. After a few shots from the CZ's he's gone from Glock Fan boy to "Where can I buy a CZ tomorrow?" in a couple mags. He shot much better with the CZ compared to the Glock and saw the results for himself on the target.
If you don't have a CZ and want to do any sort of competitive shooting matches then forget the Glock. Don't get me wrong, the Glock is a good solid and reliable pistol (I own 3) but they are not in the same class as a CZ.

I’ve been doing PPLA for a bit now and have been using the Glock 17 almost exclusively with a little 1911 here and there. For the first time last night I shoot a CZ in a comp match and holy hell did that gun not agree with me. I could not get comfortable behind it at all. I just did not like it, I don’t know if it was the shape or the balance but yeah, wasn’t impressed.

Guess I’m saying is the CZ might be a great gun for some but honestly I was not feeling it.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bullzeye » 26 Apr 2018, 8:39 pm

I’ve found the glock 17 gen 4 to be a neat gun. Had a similar experience starting off - spraying bullets all over the paper. But with time am more accurate now and think this will only improve with more range time. The gun certainly can shoot accurately in the right hands.

If you’re not fussed in ‘brand new’, most gun shops will do a good deal for a second hand gen 4. Usually they spent most of their time in the safe anyway.

As for the gen 5, what’s the main differences?
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers