What's in the box?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

What's in the box?

Post by Rider888 » 06 May 2018, 7:23 am

Im curious to know what you get as standard equipment in the box when you purchase a Semi-Auto 9mm?

I am trying to plan ahead for when I do go in and buy my first pistol so that I can ensure i have what I need with me to meet the Transportation requirements to take it home.

I know, around the world, that the Glock, for example, will come with a cable lock and 3 magazines but it seems in Aus, the consumer is getting ripped off because, and I can only guess that, when the store or distributor gets them in, they "take out" these accessories and then sell them off the shelf to make more money. Please correct me if I am wrong.

While not related, the same thing happens with new cars and their aircond units. The dealer will remove the unit if you do not pay the extra $2000 or so for an aircond unit despite the aircond unit coming as standard out of the factory.

Anyway back to my pistol - whichever one it may be... should I pre-purchase a cable lock and take that into the store with me so that I can take it home while still meeting the regulations? The other option is that I can always take the small car which has lockable compartments all through the car which in this case, will also meet NSW regulations.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: What's in the box?

Post by Wylie27 » 06 May 2018, 8:11 am

Hey Rider,

my Ruger MKIII and S&W 686 came with cable locks. My CZ Shadow2 came with a cleaning kit and wide safety levers.

I think your over thinking the transportation bit which is good! but you will do your head in trying to work out everything. I am sure the fact sheet for NSW as you are asking about the locked compartment. The key words to their lines in the fact sheet is "OR"

From the fact sheet
Category C, D & H firearms must be conveyed unloaded, with the ammunition kept in a locked container separate
from the firearms. They must be rendered temporarily incapable of being fired (eg by removal of the bolt/firing
mechanism OR the use of trigger locks) OR must be kept in a locked container that is properly secured to, or is within
the vehicle.

So your locked compartment in your vehicle is enough. Then again so is the boot of most sedans and hatchbacks, its a locked container within the vehicle. Hell i believe your glove box if it can be locked is a locked container.

Personally i use trigger locks, and put them in the boot of my car and i believe that is enough, although sometimes coming home from the range i forget to put the locks back on.

If your worried. Buy yourself an ammo can(plastic or metal) with a pad lock and secure it with that.

The usual caveat comes with this, This is my opinion and not legal advice :)

I know you have you have zeroed in on a Glock 17 but don't buy anything until you have done your range day with Brett1868.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 06 May 2018, 8:21 am

Hi Wylie thanks for your response. No I won't be doing any buying till after catching up with Brett1868 this weekend coming. Nothing set in concrete yet as to type of 9mm.

The only car that I have locked compartments is in the convertible. From the reading of the fact sheet, that will be acceptable however if I take the 4WD or the hatch back down to the shop then I need to consider other options.

Yes I do have the MTN ammo cans here which can be used. Great thinking 99 :)

Hopefully will see you on Sat at the club as well :)

While its been great chatting to you and Brett online, a face to face does wonders too :)

Cheers

Wylie27 wrote:Hey Rider,

my Ruger MKIII and S&W 686 came with cable locks. My CZ Shadow2 came with a cleaning kit and wide safety levers.

I think your over thinking the transportation bit which is good! but you will do your head in trying to work out everything. I am sure the fact sheet for NSW as you are asking about the locked compartment. The key words to their lines in the fact sheet is "OR"

From the fact sheet
Category C, D & H firearms must be conveyed unloaded, with the ammunition kept in a locked container separate
from the firearms. They must be rendered temporarily incapable of being fired (eg by removal of the bolt/firing
mechanism OR the use of trigger locks) OR must be kept in a locked container that is properly secured to, or is within
the vehicle.

So your locked compartment in your vehicle is enough. Then again so is the boot of most sedans and hatchbacks, its a locked container within the vehicle. Hell i believe your glove box if it can be locked is a locked container.

Personally i use trigger locks, and put them in the boot of my car and i believe that is enough, although sometimes coming home from the range i forget to put the locks back on.

If your worried. Buy yourself an ammo can(plastic or metal) with a pad lock and secure it with that.

The usual caveat comes with this, This is my opinion and not legal advice :)

I know you have you have zeroed in on a Glock 17 but don't buy anything until you have done your range day with Brett1868.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Justin9mm » 06 May 2018, 9:44 pm

For what it's worth.. I recently purchased a HK SFP9 (VP9) from my dealer here in Melbourne.. This is the European version we get. I have seen this European version released which HK send out from the factory with a cable lock included in the box as standard. The gun came in with a shipment of other HK Firearms to the distributor which is a dealer in country Victoria and then shipped to my local gun store in Melbourne. The cable lock was never in the box. I got nothing but the manual with it. I feel they definitely took it out but can't prove it.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 07 May 2018, 12:12 am

what time Saturday I may get there hey Brett1868 are you in range C Saturday morning
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bullzeye » 07 May 2018, 9:30 am

To answer your question, it depends if you are buying brand new or second hand. Some guns I've purchased second hand don't come with a cable lock. Even new guys I've purchased don't come with a cable lock. If you're buying brand new it would be best to call the gun shop and confirm what is included.

I think you need a better option than locking pistols in a compartment in your car.

What about transporting from the car to the shooting range, or from the car into your house? Do you want to meet the absolute minimum requirements, or do better than that?

You should have a locked pistol case. I use this and it can hold 2 pistols and locks with 2 small padlocks - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Xhunter-Har ... SwAWlabaO2

Then you'll need something to carry the ammo. I use this - https://www.bunnings.com.au/sandleford- ... x_p4220922

Both these items will fit into an old laptop bag and meet the NSW transportation requirements. All for under $50. There should also be some room in the bag for ear & eye protection.

If you're going to all this effort, I don't see why you wouldn't properly invest in a setup like this - as you're going to need this equipment once you start attending the range anyway.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers