Qld storage requirements

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Qld storage requirements

Post by snag » 12 May 2018, 8:25 am

I'm looking at going to the dark side and giving pistols a go and I'm not sure about the storage requirements. The act just says a metal container fixed to the frame or floor, ads on flea bay flog 2mm sidewall safes as compliant, local gun shop owner says 6mm minimum. What is the go in Qld?
Thanks.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Qld storage requirements

Post by Chinballs » 12 May 2018, 3:53 pm

There is no minimum thickness in QLD. NSW has the highest requirement, which is 6mm, so most manufacturers make them to that standard as they can advertise them as Cat H compliant no matter where they are sold. 2mm is fine, the gun shop just wants to sell you something they have in stock or can order in. If you really wanted to you could go down to Bunnings and grab https://www.bunnings.com.au/sandleford-gem-anti-theft-digital-safe_p4220419. I wouldn't, but it is perfectly legal in QLD as long as you bolt it down.

QLD regs just state:

In a solid steel container, bolted to the frame or floor of a permanent building.

Container must be kept locked with a sturdy combination lock, keyed lock or keyed padlock.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Qld storage requirements

Post by snag » 15 May 2018, 6:53 pm

Thanks Chinballs, I have a Sandleford safe in my caravan and there's no way I'd use one to secure a handgun. I decided to go overkill and get a 6mm safe anyway - better to be safe than sorry. Thanks for your advice.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers