GME or AUSCB uhf?

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

GME or AUSCB uhf?

Post by Kenny » 14 May 2018, 4:31 pm

Hey guys,

Going over to Europe on a road trip - figured I'd get a few uhf's between the cars.
Done it some years ago with some crappy ones that no longer works. So I need new radios.
Sort of narrowed it down to GME TX 6155 or AUSCB.
What do you guys reckon, is the GME worth the extra bucks? Twice the price.
I have uniden in the ute- and not really considering to get another uniden..

Cheers
Kenny
Private
Private
 
Posts: 47
Victoria

Re: GME or AUSCB uhf?

Post by Daddybang » 14 May 2018, 4:35 pm

I have a gme in the landie and can't fault it :thumbsup: :drinks:
We are The paint where there ain't supposed to be paint
Daddybang
Major
Major
 
Posts: 1577
Queensland

Re: GME or AUSCB uhf?

Post by bladeracer » 14 May 2018, 4:36 pm

Kenny wrote:Hey guys,

Going over to Europe on a road trip - figured I'd get a few uhf's between the cars.
Done it some years ago with some crappy ones that no longer works. So I need new radios.
Sort of narrowed it down to GME TX 6155 or AUSCB.
What do you guys reckon, is the GME worth the extra bucks? Twice the price.
I have uniden in the ute- and not really considering to get another uniden..

Cheers


I am no kind of expert but I use the AusCB handhelds with throat mikes and air-tube ear pieces. Work great.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 3366
Victoria

Re: GME or AUSCB uhf?

Post by Kenny » 14 May 2018, 5:17 pm

Thanks guys.

Daddybang, I will replace the uniden in the ute as its playing up, and pretty sure it'll be with a GME..

Bladeracer, how do you find the battery on the AUSCB?
Its listed as up to 30 hours - obviously it depends on usage.. but you happy with how long it lasts between charge?
Kenny
Private
Private
 
Posts: 47
Victoria

Re: GME or AUSCB uhf?

Post by bladeracer » 14 May 2018, 5:31 pm

Kenny wrote:Thanks guys.

Daddybang, I will replace the uniden in the ute as its playing up, and pretty sure it'll be with a GME..

Bladeracer, how do you find the battery on the AUSCB?
Its listed as up to 30 hours - obviously it depends on usage.. but you happy with how long it lasts between charge?


I've had them since 2015, never had them go flat. One stayed in the tractor for _months_ without charging and was still going just fine.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 3366
Victoria

Re: GME or AUSCB uhf?

Post by Kenny » 14 May 2018, 5:48 pm

Thanks Bladeracer. Thats heaps better than handhelds I've had before..
Kenny
Private
Private
 
Posts: 47
Victoria

Re: GME or AUSCB uhf?

Post by Supaduke » 14 May 2018, 7:58 pm

Not sure if it matters, but GME is pretty much the standard in the trucking industry and we use them all the time. Can't fault them, they just work.
Supaduke
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 1352
Victoria

Re: GME or AUSCB uhf?

Post by Stix » 14 May 2018, 9:20 pm

I have a pair of those GME's...the tradie pack i think woth all the gizmo attachments.
Havnt really had the need to use them exhaustively.
But when i have used them the only complaint i have is the person with the other one...
They've either half finished talking before they press the button or they havnt switched it on...

Really happy with clarity & battery life so far...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 829
South Australia

Re: GME or AUSCB uhf?

Post by Lifesaride » 15 May 2018, 8:12 am

You couldn’t go wrong with an icom either.
Cheers
Lifesaride
Private
Private
 
Posts: 20
Queensland

Re: GME or AUSCB uhf?

Post by Kenny » 15 May 2018, 11:40 am

Thanks guys.
Appreciate the feedback.
Kenny
Private
Private
 
Posts: 47
Victoria

Re: GME or AUSCB uhf?

Post by Sarco » 15 May 2018, 9:43 pm

Another consideration is the legality of using them in some or perhaps many European countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PMR446

It appears that PMR446 covering band 446.0–446.2 MHz may be used throughout the EU and GB, but some countries require import permits. Au CB radios use frequencies 476.4250 to 477.4125 (40 & 80 channel sets). In some EU countries our UHF CB frequencies are allocated to emergency services.

Sarco
Sarco
Private
Private
 
Posts: 30
Victoria

Re: GME or AUSCB uhf?

Post by Kenny » 18 May 2018, 11:56 am

Sarco wrote:Another consideration is the legality of using them in some or perhaps many European countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PMR446

It appears that PMR446 covering band 446.0–446.2 MHz may be used throughout the EU and GB, but some countries require import permits. Au CB radios use frequencies 476.4250 to 477.4125 (40 & 80 channel sets). In some EU countries our UHF CB frequencies are allocated to emergency services.

Sarco


Spot on Sarco.
I just received email response from the authorities over there.
Where I'm going, the Australian UHF frequency is solely reserved to TV broadcast use.
The 446-446.2 is open for civilian use.
Kenny
Private
Private
 
Posts: 47
Victoria


Back to top
 
Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel