Full-face vs flip-face or clip-face helmets

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: Full-face vs flip-face or clip-face helmets

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Jul 2018, 7:06 pm

Full Face. Without question.
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by magnum56 » 09 Jul 2018, 9:55 pm

brett1868 wrote:I managed to high side my Hayabusa some years ago and if not for the helmet it would has been a hearse ride instead of an ambulance. Point of impact was the forehead at roughly 90kph knocking me senseless then unconscious before some gravel surfing. Sustained some serious injuries and spent a week in the intensive care ward of RPAH Camperdown. On a positive note the damage to my right shoulder and subsequent rebuild has made me virtually impervious to recoil pain :lol:

DSC00002.JPG

Having said that, I've had people say that spinal injuries are more likely with a full face helmet and it's easier to rebuild a face then a spine....something to ponder I guess.

Holy s**t, after stacking a Hayabusa, you probably should give up buying lottery tickets, that is one hell of a monster machine, I love the sound of them, a bloke I know put one of those motors into a single seat Finke buggy, you could hear him coming for miles, :thumbsup:
There is only one thing worse than a green, two of the bludgers.
magnum56
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sarco » 09 Jul 2018, 10:46 pm

Having been a motorcycle rider for 45+ years, I have had open face, full face and flip fronts.

I prefer to use a flip front for the convenience and that is what I use, currently a Schuberth C4.
However, you must be selective, as to fit and also many flip fronts are quite noisy especially when compared to full face.
There is no way I would ever go back to open face, for noise, weather protection and safety reasons.
Sarco
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jul 2018, 10:48 pm

magnum56 wrote:Holy s**t, after stacking a Hayabusa, you probably should give up buying lottery tickets, that is one hell of a monster machine, I love the sound of them, a bloke I know put one of those motors into a single seat Finke buggy, you could hear him coming for miles, :thumbsup:

We had Shawn Giles over in Perth doing rider training days. He and his mate (can't recall his name now) were expecting to have GSXR's, but all the local dealers could supply were a demo 'Busa and GSX1400, neither of which are particularly useful for teaching other riders racing techniques. But I scored the job of mounting my cameras on Shawn's 'Busa. He would come onto the front straight and smoke the thing all the way to the braking area at the end of it :-)
I still have the videos somewhere. If you picked up a cheap ex-demo bike in Perth in 2005, it may well have been thrashed around Wanneroo for two solid days :-)

I considered it a totally wasted "training" day for those that had payed a few hundred dollars for the privilege of some coaching by our best racers, but it was fun for those of us that were not paying to be there.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
General
General

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 21 Jul 2018, 4:26 pm

Thanks for all the feedback folks.

Going to go full face.

Having thought on it a bit, and gear in general, what's the point of safety gear if you half-ass it, right?

Same for the rest of the outfit.

Cheers.
Lorgar
Brigadier
Brigadier

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 21 Jul 2018, 5:35 pm

Full face for me, a mate of my uncle lost part of his chin after hitting the road with his face wearing an open face helmet. Maybe a flip up if it had a super heavy duty clip or latch. Some of the flip ups ive seen flip up too easy.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Baronvonrort » 22 Jul 2018, 1:11 pm

I would only use full face. That said the weight of the helmet is also something to consider lighter ones are better when it comes to whiplash injuries.
Baronvonrort
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 23 Jul 2018, 7:58 am

Always wore a full face just because I had a mate who hit a cicada doing 130 and it nearly took him off the bike. Figured an open face bird strike would end badly. Lol

From memory there’s little statistically to show a difference in safety however you meet a lot of racers who break collar bones which I’m told (by an actual maxillo facial and reconstructive surgeon) is a factor in protecting the neck, the chin bar strikes the collar bone breaking it but saving the neck.

Besides I ride more focused with the visor down and ear plugs in on a big bike

Chronos
.177 pellets through to .416 Ruger
Chronos
Brigadier
Brigadier

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel