3M Scotchlite SOLAS grade tape (3150-A)

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

3M Scotchlite SOLAS grade tape (3150-A)

Post by Lorgar » 25 Sep 2018, 7:46 pm

G'day,

I've just got my L's and first motorbike :D

Looking to up my visibility at night with some reflective tape in a few choice locations.

The 3M Scotchlite SOLAS grade tape looks to be the best one according to specs and reviews. Can't tell anything from photos really though so hard to 'preview' in that sense.

Anyone familiar? Other suggestions?

Cheers.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: 3M Scotchlite SOLAS grade tape (3150-A)

Post by Gaznazdiak » 25 Sep 2018, 8:54 pm

Excellent tape, use it on my various trailers for side and rear visibility, stands out like dog's balls on a duck :thumbsup:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 26 Sep 2018, 6:16 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:stands out like dog's balls on a duck :thumbsup:

That's what I'm going for :lol:

I have an all black bike and gear (I know, I know...) but wear a yellow high vis vest. Against the black it's pretty stark, between that and the lights I'd say I'm pretty visible from the front and back.

From the sides my arms obscure much of the vest though, not great for visibility from that angle. Some good tape in a few choice spots should hopefully fix it right up.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Sep 2018, 6:22 pm

Everything you can do to make yourself more visible, Lorgar, is well worth the money.

There are so many clowns out there on the road who drive around as though they are on their Playstation that it's imperative to be as proactive as possible.
Good on you for thinking ahead.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 27 Sep 2018, 6:35 pm

Good on you for thinking about making yourself more visible but if you're relying on others to keep you safe you're already at more risk than necessary. So much of riding and staying alive depends on your attitude and awareness. Don't ever put yourself in the position of giving someone the opportunity to say

"sorry mate, I just didn't see you"

There's no comfort in knowing you were in the right when you're lying in the ambulance

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Wombat » 27 Sep 2018, 7:00 pm

Positioning is key to being seen. Be aware of cars and trucks blind spots and avoid staying in them.
On thing a courier rider told be years ago was that if you were unsure that a car waiting to enter the road has seen you "ride straight at the bastard" ie deviate slightly in your lane towards the driver. That does two things, highlights you as a threat and the sideways motion provides more movement, both of which will maximize the chance you are "seen".
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 30 Sep 2018, 11:43 am

Chronos wrote:Good on you for thinking about making yourself more visible but if you're relying on others to keep you safe you're already at more risk than necessary. So much of riding and staying alive depends on your attitude and awareness.

Not relying on anyone else, mate.

Just adding what extra I can to have every chance of getting noticed by the idiots not paying attention.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel