Land Rover Freelander 2

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Land Rover Freelander 2

Post by Gun-nut » 15 Nov 2020, 3:23 pm

Hey guys,

Buying my first 4x4 (my first car actually), and have pretty much narrowed it down the ole' freelander 2. I like the size, and from researching online it seems to be a good vehicle with good off road capability given its size. I'm not looking to go bush bashing, just driving along country roads and camp sites where some 4x4 capability is preferred (especially in dodgy weather), but like the somewhat smaller size for driving in the city also. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them? I was considering a disco 3 at one stage, but apparently they're not nearly as reliable as the smaller freelander, due to complexity among other factors. Cheers in advance fellas.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Land Rover Freelander 2

Post by Die Judicii » 16 Nov 2020, 8:52 pm

Don't get too hung up on the size issue.
If you get something largeish it'll seem like a Kenworth to start with,, but once your used to it you won't even think about it. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
Die Judicii
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by womble » 17 Nov 2020, 3:33 am

That’s what she said
womble
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Nov 2020, 5:00 pm

womble wrote:That’s what she said

What ?
Getting something large,,,,,,, :lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
Die Judicii
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 17 Nov 2020, 8:58 pm

Do not look at "Enthusiast" web sites in your enthusiasm.
I have little knowledge re Land Rovers but some with British vehicles.
My thoughts would be [depending on your budget] a moderate mileage MN Triton or similar.
Preferably one that has not been f$c#ed with by an "enthusiast.
Your first vehicle should be inexpensive with good [cheap] parts availability and a broad pool of knowledgeable repairers.
An interesting experiment would be to gather a list of well regarded workshops in your area and call with a hypothetical issue, if most refuse the work ?
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by perentie » 18 Nov 2020, 6:36 am

I have always owned Land Rovers. I have 7 registered now but none are newer than 92. Why, because after that they got too hard and complicated to work on.
The 1992 200TDI Discovery only has one engine control wire and thats the stop solenoid.
Thats just my opinion as I do all my own work.
Get on a Land Rover Forum such as AULRO and ask there.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Nov 2020, 12:15 pm

I was going to say that if you choose a landrover you'll need more than one to ensure you've got something that's running .... looks like perentie has set the record straight there already :lol: :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

South Australia

Post by Ziege » 18 Nov 2020, 6:34 pm

find a GU patrol that is registered and not running, buy it for 5k or less, then buy an LS conversion kit from marks and an ls1/2 and plonk it in, and profit.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TimTimney » 18 Nov 2020, 6:47 pm

The ol series 80 are still about at reasonable prices and are bullet proof (excuse the pun). I have one with a broke speedo but know a bloke That has on on his farm that is nearing 800k and its still running!
Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Virtue is doing it
TimTimney
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 18 Nov 2020, 7:03 pm

provided you never take a salt shaker in the thing when you go camping, never seen a car rust as bad as the 60 and 80 series cruisers.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel