How many spotlights before it's overkill on a 4X4

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: How many spotlights before it's overkill on a 4X4

Post by brett1868 » 21 Jun 2018, 1:17 pm

sungazer wrote:At least the round made it out the window. more than one bloke has aimed through a scope not realizing the barrel is 2 inches below the scope. I have seen a few holed bonnets.

I broke a tail light and 7 out of 8 filaments shooting the M99 from the tailgate last year, I'm blaming brother Bentaz for that :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tiger650 » 23 Feb 2020, 7:18 pm

Brass case you can forget fishing it out with a magnet LOL.
My Missus asked me what I was smiling for, I described your "rattler" post and she reckons you were crazy for shooting out the passenger side window with your missus in the passenger seat !!!!!
And they reckon we do not listen.
We don't but that's beside the point.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by perentie » 24 Feb 2020, 7:22 am

sungazer wrote:At least the round made it out the window. more than one bloke has aimed through a scope not realizing the barrel is 2 inches below the scope. I have seen a few holed bonnets.

And Chronys :o
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 24 Feb 2020, 9:18 am

I paid approximately 1350 for a pair of high quality led lights. Later I purchased for the same money a pair of lightfoce hid/ led combos .....if I’m doing a big long trip at night I might go to the trouble of fitting the latter pair to the top of my roof racks. But the extra lights up there does not give me twice as much light on the road. It’s probably about 30 per r cent brighter. I have noticed that as I’m getting older I need all the light I can get. It does not at all seem overkill. But young eyes I think should need no more than one decent pair ........a light bar on the top of bull bar is 99 per cent safe from roo strikes but 95 per cent of light bars throw pathetic amount of light
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by geoff » 26 Feb 2020, 10:42 am

A lot of the time I reckon they're compensating. The market is flooded these days with lights that aren't up to scratch for running by thenselves. So you Chuck 6 of em on to do the same job.....suddenly those Chinese LED's aren't so cheap when you need 3 sets.

I run the fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 lights with the 24v step up convertors and will never look back. This is my 2kd set (as I sold the last vehicle with them on) and will sing their praise to anyone who will listen. And even those who don't. Their spin about the colour being reflected back true to life is pretty legit I reckon.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Feb 2020, 12:23 pm

The amount of people who visit my local radio commutations supplier asking for broken "broom" antennas is insane...all about the looks.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Am88 » 17 Mar 2020, 9:39 am

I have 2 good quality, expensive Great White 9" lights, that is all, and those 2 lights beat the hell out of sh!tty cheap kings or whoever lightbar combos or the ebay specials people buy 6 to hang off the roof rack and bullbar posts and in the grill and anywhere else they can block off air flow.

As said it's all about compensation, campfire talk, Same with 2 way airiels, if they actually had a clue and looked up the specifications on how the things work, but nah nah, bigger the better.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by KMA » 17 Mar 2020, 3:29 pm

One on the roof & one headlight works on low beam. :lol:
SAM_0534.JPG
SAM_0534.JPG (2.03 MiB) Viewed 10435 times
KMA
Recruit
Recruit