UTV in state and national parks

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

UTV in state and national parks

Post by Diddums » 24 Jun 2018, 3:03 pm

I've just picked myself up a Polaris side by side and would like to take it into some national parks but I can't find online what the requirements are.

Any help appreciated.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: UTV in state and national parks

Post by Lifesaride » 24 Jun 2018, 4:00 pm

Generally registered vehicles only on gazetted roads to my knowledge.

On a side note, don’t buy parts in Australia. Anything major you will pay no more than half the price shipped from the us. I made the mistake of buying one too.
Cheers
Lifesaride
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 24 Jun 2018, 4:17 pm

Short answer , at least in Victoria, is private property only. Unless they have changed the rules you can't get rec reg for quads , oddessy or utvs
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Archie » 24 Jun 2018, 4:20 pm

Short answer, legally you can't. Lifesaride is correct - NSW National Parks and NSW State Forests are registered vehicles only, and (with some very very minor exceptions) you can't register an ATV, quad etc. You can register a dirtbike - which is why you can go dirtbiking in state forests.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Jun 2018, 7:36 pm

In vic definitely no quadbikes. They can be registered but then they cannot be driven on public roads unless it's just to cross them if they run through your property (as an example) side by side I am unsure.

I think better is to get a Suzuki Jimmy or similar and put normal road reg on it
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Jul 2018, 10:07 pm

I don't know if they have changed, but I worked for the Forestry back in the 90's, all state forest areas fell under the definition of a public road under the Traffic act, therefore vehicles had to be registered and drivers/riders licensed.
Member-Deleted

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel