Portable jump starters

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Portable jump starters

Post by Roo farmer » 07 Jul 2018, 9:41 pm

I've been thinking that one of these new style pocket sized jump starters would be a good backup for a flat battery while out spotlighting in the early hours of the morning.

However, there are so many to choose from, and so many unknown brands, it's very hard to know where to begin.

Has anybody had any experience?

Does anybody know of any reputable organisations doing some decent comparisons?

Needs to be good enough to start a Landcruiser 1HZ 4.2 litre diesel, in a worst case scenario of a complete battery failure.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Portable jump starters

Post by Lifesaride » 08 Jul 2018, 7:26 am

From what I’ve read there aren’t many that are up to kicking over a 4 cylinder diesel, let alone a 6.
I ended up throwing a dual purpose, cranking/deep cycle in my cruiser as an aux battery. That way if the cranking battery died, I could just hook them both up with jumper leads without adversly affecting the aux battery.
Lifesaride
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 08 Jul 2018, 8:19 am

I got one a cheap ebay one. It can start my ride on, and multiple 4cyl diesel engines, I reckon it will start 3.2l ranger but that might be its limit.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 08 Jul 2018, 9:00 am

We bought a 'Matson' Brand 12/24v MA35000 Intelligent Jump Starter a couple of years back.
It's supposed to deliver 600A @12v starting power, and up to 1200A Peak, though I doubt it'll do so for long..
Pretty sure it cost around $340, and we bought it through the local engineering/steel supplies shop.

We needed something that had enough grunt to start the backhoe, which although a 12v system, seems a lot more reluctant to turn over than your average Landcruiser 1HZ motor...Something to get an auto electrician to investigate, at some stage.

This unit came in a 3/4-sized briefcase, and the unit itself is about 30cmsx30cmsx8cms, so not the smallest of these units.
I had the same issue; needed something with enough grunt to turn over a larger diesel motor.
It has a couple of USB ports for charging phones, and also a cigarette light outlet, so could likely power a laptop, with the appropriate power supply.

We made a mistake, and let this thing go completely flat, as we hadnt used it for a good while (~6 months?). I dont think the Li-Ion batteries like that, and it seems to discharge very fast ever since.
It has started the backhoe on a couple of cold days, so probably has paid for itself. but it refused to turn the backhoe over last week, after having come off a full charge(screen states 100% charged).
Overseer reports it turned the backhoe over sluggishly, but when he tried the second time, the jump-starter unit was saying it had 0% charge remaining!
Overseer ended up simply using his Hilux to jump-start the backhoe, so somewhat annoying it seems to be failing so quickly.

A mate has one of the smaller units in his Ford Territory, and it's saved his bacon a few times. However, the motor in his car is (I think) a 2.5 diesel, so doesnt need an overly big unit to turn over.

So, I'm a bit nonplussed about them. In our case, a portable jump-starter is pretty useful, as we have a number of vehicles that might need a boost to start. But I'm not yet able to say I've found one that is rock-solid reliable every time we've needed one.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 08 Jul 2018, 9:15 am

For biggish desiels, having a second battery is probably a far more reliable and versatile option. They can be wired in with a jump switch so if you want to use your second battery to support your primary crank battery, it can be done at the push of a button from the driver's seat without having to worry about jump cables and power spikes, or the booster unit being flat when you really need it.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Homer » 08 Jul 2018, 10:32 am

G'Day Fella's,

Roofarmer, I'm glad I'm not the only confused person on this subject.

Also Thank You to the other responders to this post, for your information on this subject.

Regards
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Member-Deleted » 09 Jul 2018, 9:51 pm

I have a small one, it was around $300 when I bought it about 4 years ago, it is awesome, I have started numerous 4 cyl and V8 diesels, my Isuzu truck, machinery etc, it just keeps on keeping on.
Member-Deleted

Post by Blr243 » 24 Nov 2018, 3:36 pm

I drain the battery of my quad when I’m spotlighting all the time sometimes 15 k from my quarters in the middle of the night I carry the biggest jump pack I can buy from super cheap. That late when I’m tired I feel real good about lugging it around when my quad starts to falter .....I feel better knowing I’ll be right rather than hoping a jump pack the size of a cigarette packet will get me started again
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Nov 2018, 12:00 pm

I have a Jump go diesel X8, I bought it from Forbes batteries in Toowoomba about 5 years ago, it is still going strong and holds it's charge very well, it will start a V8 landcruiser diesel, it fits in a pack about 7 x 9 x 2.5 inches, can't fault it.
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Nov 2018, 9:20 pm

Blr243 wrote:.I feel better knowing I’ll be right rather than hoping a jump pack the size of a cigarette packet will get me started again

Maybe the old saying,, "Size really does matter" :lol:

I'm a bit old fashioned and just have the same as someone already said,,,,, The biggest jump starter pack from Supercheap.
I think the secret is to store them somewhere that you can't avoid seeing on a regular basis, and regularly top up their charge.
Mines never let me down so far, and is used on the old 75 Series 4.2 as well as tractors. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 28 Nov 2018, 7:11 am

Even the sexiest looking jump starter contains a battery only a fraction of the size of your normal battery.
They are OK to help a 'weak' battery start a motor but are out of their depth when it's time to overcome a dead flat battery or a failed battery.
In the case of a dead flat battery your jump starter is trying to recharge your flat battery as well as start your motor. In the case of a completely dead battery the small capacity of the jump starter battery as well as the limitations of their usual leads and clips means starting will be a 'hail mary' proposition.
In many cases a set of heavy duty jumper leads, a sealed normal size battery to suit your vehicle and a smart charger to keep it topped up are a safer proposition.
Probably won't cost much more and will be vastly more flexible in use.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 28 Nov 2018, 2:33 pm

With 8 services that have car batteries, I know what you saying, but for casual low battery a small portable lithium jump start is just awesome, had an ebay one that a worker fkd up, but it priceless, I do have a battery charger and a jump start cable.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Roo farmer » 28 Nov 2018, 8:59 pm

Die Judicii wrote: old 75 Series 4.2 :thumbsup:

You think a 4.2 75 series is OLD ????
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 04 Dec 2018, 6:34 pm

straightshooter wrote:Even the sexiest looking jump starter contains a battery only a fraction of the size of your normal battery.
They are OK to help a 'weak' battery start a motor but are out of their depth when it's time to overcome a dead flat battery or a failed battery.
In the case of a dead flat battery your jump starter is trying to recharge your flat battery as well as start your motor. In the case of a completely dead battery the small capacity of the jump starter battery as well as the limitations of their usual leads and clips means starting will be a 'hail mary' proposition.
In many cases a set of heavy duty jumper leads, a sealed normal size battery to suit your vehicle and a smart charger to keep it topped up are a safer proposition.
Probably won't cost much more and will be vastly more flexible in use.

With a dead battery, it is better to disconnect it completely, then start with another battery or jump starter, then reconnect to drive the vehicle to where the battery can be replaced, (if away from where a replacement battery is available).

I blew both batteries in a 24 v Scania 620 at Camooweal on the way back from the NT, they were only 12 months old, but 43 deg heat for days and the corrugations on the Tanami probably did not help their future, no chance of replacing them at Camooweal, :unknown: I had to completely disconnect them, before I could start it with a couple of borrowed batteries, once started, the dead ones were reconnected then to the Isa for a couple of new ones.
Member-Deleted

Post by Bigjobss » 05 Dec 2018, 6:58 am

I do a few solo trips in my 3.0l hilux and I went into BatteryWorld and after a chat walked out with one - knowing its in the ute is just piece of mind. I tested it with the battery completely disconnected and it worked.

The bloke at battery world said when they get called out for emergency battery faults they use the small jump packs too. I use it to charge my phone etc. and keep it topped up with the lighter adapter.
Bigjobss

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 06 Dec 2018, 2:31 pm

If it's a lead battery remember that they need regular recharging as well.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel