Full-face vs flip-face or clip-face helmets

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Full-face vs flip-face or clip-face helmets

Post by Lorgar » 08 Jul 2018, 6:13 pm

G'day all,

I've just got my bike learners permit, starting from scratch with this endeavour so need the lot in terms of gear so any advice in general appreciated, but specifically a helmet query at this point.

I'll be riding a road bike/on the road. No trail riding.

In terms of protection, what are peoples thoughts on one-piece full-face helmets vs the flip and clip over options?

By its nature any 2 piece design makes it weaker, but I have no experience/sense of how much that is.

Cheers.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Full-face vs flip-face or clip-face helmets

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jul 2018, 6:35 pm

I prefer full-face lids, but I have owned two flip-ups.
I crashed on the racetrack with a flip-up lid that saved my life, a high-speed hit from behind by another bike. It was split from the centre left bottom edge right up to the centre of the top, but the flip-up front stayed closed, and the lid stayed on my head. I wouldn't have any fears wearing one again. I was concussed of course, and had other serious injuries, but my noggin was intact.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mitch » 08 Jul 2018, 6:49 pm

Personally i prefer full face. The protection is worth it in my opinion.
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 08 Jul 2018, 7:00 pm

I managed to high side my Hayabusa some years ago and if not for the helmet it would has been a hearse ride instead of an ambulance. Point of impact was the forehead at roughly 90kph knocking me senseless then unconscious before some gravel surfing. Sustained some serious injuries and spent a week in the intensive care ward of RPAH Camperdown. On a positive note the damage to my right shoulder and subsequent rebuild has made me virtually impervious to recoil pain :lol:

DSC00002.JPG
DSC00002.JPG (97.23 KiB) Viewed 7897 times

Having said that, I've had people say that spinal injuries are more likely with a full face helmet and it's easier to rebuild a face then a spine....something to ponder I guess.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wombat » 08 Jul 2018, 8:25 pm

I've put scrapes on the chinbar of several full face helmets, but still have open and flip type helmets.
The best protection is a fullface helmet that fits you properly. Try on a variety of brands as they fit different shape heads , AGV are the best fit for me.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 08 Jul 2018, 8:26 pm

I have both and believe it when you ride with open face you ride totally different get once-piece full-face helmet until you get confidence in your ability
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 08 Jul 2018, 8:32 pm

What Wombat said...great advice!

Oh, and my old man said to me when I got a Bike - "if you've got a 75c head, get a 75c helmet!" :D
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 08 Jul 2018, 11:00 pm

Get a better quality one and it doesn't really matter. I have used both. A flip up helmet can be nice for slower scenic rides. Mostly though you ride with it shut. Some people like them for riding in warmer weather. Some people don't like them because riding with them open causes buffeting. Some designs buffet more than others. Also some cheaper ones get whistling around the joins in the helmet. Past a certain price point all helmets are good quality and you really just want one that fits your head nicely. Try as many on as you can. You will know the right one when you slip your head in. Snug but not tight. Comfortable but not wriggling around. The shape of your head , shape of your body and what clothes you wear make a big difference to.the comfort of.your ride.

I had a really nice bike jacket I had to stop wearing because the way the collar sat , it deflected a fine steam of wind up the side of my nose and into my eye. Would have to constantly agjust my jacket, gave me the s**ts .
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 09 Jul 2018, 10:32 am

There's a reason motor racing pros use full-face, they are the safest.
In 1968, before the full-face became popular, my cousin's brother-in-law was making a right hand turn off Canterbury Rd in Sydney, misty rain on a greasy road and he lost front traction at 15mph and hit his chin on the ground. The subsequent coup contrecoup injury killed him instantly. Not even a bit of gravel rash, a 1" long cut on the bottom of his chin was the only visible mark on him.

As someone with a traffic related traumatic brain injury, I can tell you straight, we don't want any more members in our club, OK.
The best, safest helmet you can afford is the one you should be getting.

https://rideapart.com/articles/motorcyc ... sh-helmets
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by ebr love » 09 Jul 2018, 10:48 am

brett1868 wrote:Having said that, I've had people say that spinal injuries are more likely with a full face helmet and it's easier to rebuild a face then a spine....something to ponder I guess.

They're all highly qualified orthopaedic and maxillofacial surgeons, I'm sure :mrgreen:
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Arth » 09 Jul 2018, 11:46 am

They're on the internet, they must be experts :lol:
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 09 Jul 2018, 12:28 pm

I have to agree, in car racing you do have option to wear full face or open face. I got a basic full face motorcycle helmet due to the above reasoning. I know many cool ppl have harnesses but unless u have a rear bar most sane ppl won't recommend harness, and then ofcourse hans device. Anyway I got side tracked.

But basically make sure you have proper leathers and shoes, any rider I see wearing jeans and slippers I shudder and pray
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jul 2018, 3:03 pm

Ziad wrote:I have to agree, in car racing you do have option to wear full face or open face. I got a basic full face motorcycle helmet due to the above reasoning. I know many cool ppl have harnesses but unless u have a rear bar most sane ppl won't recommend harness, and then ofcourse hans device. Anyway I got side tracked.

But basically make sure you have proper leathers and shoes, any rider I see wearing jeans and slippers I shudder and pray

I thought motorcycle helmets weren't legal for car racing? They have no fire rating. The times I considered car racing I was always annoyed at having to buy yet more helmets.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 09 Jul 2018, 3:30 pm

I dunno if changed, but about 6+ years ago, in any cams level2 event or at winston or wakefield event (which was insured through aasa) any au standard approved helmet was ok. These are club events like skylines aus or wrx etc type events. Events run on hill climb clubs were similar. No idea on state/national championships events like the sandown historic etc.

What car did you have
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jul 2018, 5:14 pm

Ziad wrote:I dunno if changed, but about 6+ years ago, in any cams level2 event or at winston or wakefield event (which was insured through aasa) any au standard approved helmet was ok. These are club events like skylines aus or wrx etc type events. Events run on hill climb clubs were similar. No idea on state/national championships events like the sandown historic etc.

What car did you have

I didn't have a car, but several times I came across something that looked like it might be fun to punt around the racetrack. Even to do track days required a roll cage and extinguisher so you had to be fairly dedicated if you wanted to even try it out. Sucked when I could ride to the track on any motorcycle and do trackdays, or even race it if I wanted to. I don't know about elsewhere, but in Perth I found most car racers to be pretty obnoxious types, so I wasn't particularly interested in joining them. Very different pit atmosphere from bike racing.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 09 Jul 2018, 5:22 pm

Yep depends on age of the drivers.... younger ones are bit like that. Middle aged ones are better... older ones drive older cars .....haha

A car like Mazda mx5 is quite cheap and you can have a lot of fun while being slow, skylines/wrx/evo are good fun, are cheap to own now and to punt around. The euro are slightly dearer. As I said all events that I participated in with cams L2 license the requirements were very simple and all road going vehicles build do. Only required working seatbelts, fire extinguisher and ofcourse brakes. Haunted hills track near moe is just awesome... plus Philip island (Not that I driven it) is one of the best tracks in aus
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Ghoatman » 09 Jul 2018, 5:28 pm

I wear a flip face helmet. I prefer it because I wear glasses and I don't have to take them off to put my helmet on. :D
Also, most servos will let you leave your helmet on with the front flipped open.

I personally would lash out for a higher end flip face with decent latches. Some of the cheaper ones I wouldn't trust! I have a Schuberth C3 and a BMW System 7 Carbon currently, both really good helmets.
Ghoatman
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jul 2018, 6:49 pm

Ziad wrote:Yep depends on age of the drivers.... younger ones are bit like that. Middle aged ones are better... older ones drive older cars .....haha

A car like Mazda mx5 is quite cheap and you can have a lot of fun while being slow, skylines/wrx/evo are good fun, are cheap to own now and to punt around. The euro are slightly dearer. As I said all events that I participated in with cams L2 license the requirements were very simple and all road going vehicles build do. Only required working seatbelts, fire extinguisher and ofcourse brakes. Haunted hills track near moe is just awesome... plus Philip island (Not that I driven it) is one of the best tracks in aus

I think Ray Iken has told me about taking one of his Valiant's up that hill climb.
I don't get much enjoyment out of cars, although a mate had a 300ZX that had some power.
I've ridden Phillip Island, but haven't raced there. It's all flat-out on a bike so I would think I'd fall asleep in a car.
My favorite circuit is MacNamara Park, Mount Gambier.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Jul 2018, 7:06 pm

Full Face. Without question.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 09 Jul 2018, 9:55 pm

brett1868 wrote:I managed to high side my Hayabusa some years ago and if not for the helmet it would has been a hearse ride instead of an ambulance. Point of impact was the forehead at roughly 90kph knocking me senseless then unconscious before some gravel surfing. Sustained some serious injuries and spent a week in the intensive care ward of RPAH Camperdown. On a positive note the damage to my right shoulder and subsequent rebuild has made me virtually impervious to recoil pain :lol:

DSC00002.JPG

Having said that, I've had people say that spinal injuries are more likely with a full face helmet and it's easier to rebuild a face then a spine....something to ponder I guess.

Holy s**t, after stacking a Hayabusa, you probably should give up buying lottery tickets, that is one hell of a monster machine, I love the sound of them, a bloke I know put one of those motors into a single seat Finke buggy, you could hear him coming for miles, :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Sarco » 09 Jul 2018, 10:46 pm

Having been a motorcycle rider for 45+ years, I have had open face, full face and flip fronts.

I prefer to use a flip front for the convenience and that is what I use, currently a Schuberth C4.
However, you must be selective, as to fit and also many flip fronts are quite noisy especially when compared to full face.
There is no way I would ever go back to open face, for noise, weather protection and safety reasons.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jul 2018, 10:48 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:Holy s**t, after stacking a Hayabusa, you probably should give up buying lottery tickets, that is one hell of a monster machine, I love the sound of them, a bloke I know put one of those motors into a single seat Finke buggy, you could hear him coming for miles, :thumbsup:

We had Shawn Giles over in Perth doing rider training days. He and his mate (can't recall his name now) were expecting to have GSXR's, but all the local dealers could supply were a demo 'Busa and GSX1400, neither of which are particularly useful for teaching other riders racing techniques. But I scored the job of mounting my cameras on Shawn's 'Busa. He would come onto the front straight and smoke the thing all the way to the braking area at the end of it :-)
I still have the videos somewhere. If you picked up a cheap ex-demo bike in Perth in 2005, it may well have been thrashed around Wanneroo for two solid days :-)

I considered it a totally wasted "training" day for those that had payed a few hundred dollars for the privilege of some coaching by our best racers, but it was fun for those of us that were not paying to be there.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 21 Jul 2018, 4:26 pm

Thanks for all the feedback folks.

Going to go full face.

Having thought on it a bit, and gear in general, what's the point of safety gear if you half-ass it, right?

Same for the rest of the outfit.

Cheers.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 21 Jul 2018, 5:35 pm

Full face for me, a mate of my uncle lost part of his chin after hitting the road with his face wearing an open face helmet. Maybe a flip up if it had a super heavy duty clip or latch. Some of the flip ups ive seen flip up too easy.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Baronvonrort » 22 Jul 2018, 1:11 pm

I would only use full face. That said the weight of the helmet is also something to consider lighter ones are better when it comes to whiplash injuries.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 23 Jul 2018, 7:58 am

Always wore a full face just because I had a mate who hit a cicada doing 130 and it nearly took him off the bike. Figured an open face bird strike would end badly. Lol

From memory there’s little statistically to show a difference in safety however you meet a lot of racers who break collar bones which I’m told (by an actual maxillo facial and reconstructive surgeon) is a factor in protecting the neck, the chin bar strikes the collar bone breaking it but saving the neck.

Besides I ride more focused with the visor down and ear plugs in on a big bike

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Sarco » 23 Jul 2018, 10:31 pm

Oh No! Chronos
You mentioned the No.3 issue of motorcyclists (ear plugs). 1 = Tyres; 2 = helmets; 3 = ear pluigs
There have been quite a number of studies done. 100Kph, full face helmet = approx. 123db.
Take it from one who after 45 years of motorcycling WEAR EAR PLUGS regardless of the type of helmet that you use. Approx 45% deterioration of hearing, however, now, I still ALWAYS wear ear plugs when riding, mowing the lawns, sawing up firewood, using compressed air tools etc.
The scariest advice ever received from an audiologist - learn sign language/lipreading or wear ear plugs.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 23 Jul 2018, 11:40 pm

Chronos wrote:Always wore a full face just because I had a mate who hit a cicada doing 130 and it nearly took him off the bike. Figured an open face bird strike would end badly. Lol

From memory there’s little statistically to show a difference in safety however you meet a lot of racers who break collar bones which I’m told (by an actual maxillo facial and reconstructive surgeon) is a factor in protecting the neck, the chin bar strikes the collar bone breaking it but saving the neck.

Besides I ride more focused with the visor down and ear plugs in on a big bike

Chronos

I nailed what I think was one of them big bastard black water beetle things at 100k going through a swampy area few months back with open face. It hit and glanced off left cheek and F did it sting.
Still like my open for the short trips to work as its a quick and slow paced trip but will stick to the full for distance riding in future, or swamp areas :lol:
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 24 Jul 2018, 7:59 am

Sarco wrote:Oh No! Chronos
You mentioned the No.3 issue of motorcyclists (ear plugs). 1 = Tyres; 2 = helmets; 3 = ear pluigs
There have been quite a number of studies done. 100Kph, full face helmet = approx. 123db.
Take it from one who after 45 years of motorcycling WEAR EAR PLUGS regardless of the type of helmet that you use. Approx 45% deterioration of hearing, however, now, I still ALWAYS wear ear plugs when riding, mowing the lawns, sawing up firewood, using compressed air tools etc.
The scariest advice ever received from an audiologist - learn sign language/lipreading or wear ear plugs.

Move all those down one on the list and put training at the top imho. Too many riders think they can learn everything they need just riding around the streets. Imho skills and reactions need to be trained and practiced, a lot of guys relying on ABS to keep them upright in an unplanned hard braking situation

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Sarco » 24 Jul 2018, 8:17 pm

Chronos wrote:
Sarco wrote:Oh No! Chronos

Move all those down one on the list and put training at the top imho. Too many riders think they can learn everything they need just riding around the streets. Imho skills and reactions need to be trained and practiced, a lot of guys relying on ABS to keep them upright in an unplanned hard braking situation

Chronos

While I totally agree, ongoing training should be high on the agenda for all motorcyclists and at all levels of experience, and particularly for those returning to motorcycling after long breaks, it is not a topic talked about a lot by motorcyclists on motorcycle forums, though certainly it should be.

Sarco
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel