4WD Purchase

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

4WD Purchase

Post by madang55 » 15 Jul 2018, 12:46 pm

I am looking to rid myself of my non 4WD. I am looking at used (2011-2014) max $25K, hoping for a reasonable trade in for mine. My best and most numerous choices appear to be Navaras and Tritons. Toyotas and Mazdas too costly for the most part, Colorado few and far between. I like both the Navara and Triton. I need an idea of informative for and against stuff. For instance early Tritons revved a bit high and did rings. I won't be going high country, and I wont be going beaches. I owned a 4runner years ago and the agreement was I didn't take it anywhere I thought I couldn't get out of, and it worked. Paddocks, fire trails, back woods and not too tricky if you get my drift.
Cheers
madang55
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: 4WD Purchase

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jul 2018, 12:52 pm

madang55 wrote:I am looking to rid myself of my non 4WD. I am looking at used (2011-2014) max $25K, hoping for a reasonable trade in for mine. My best and most numerous choices appear to be Navaras and Tritons. Toyotas and Mazdas too costly for the most part, Colorado few and far between. I like both the Navara and Triton. I need an idea of informative for and against stuff. For instance early Tritons revved a bit high and did rings. I won't be going high country, and I wont be going beaches. I owned a 4runner years ago and the agreement was I didn't take it anywhere I thought I couldn't get out of, and it worked. Paddocks, fire trails, back woods and not too tricky if you get my drift.
Cheers

Toyota Landcruisers hold their value for good reason, the only thing you want if you want to get into seriously difficult country, and get out again.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 15 Jul 2018, 2:32 pm

If a ute is really needed you would not go far wrong with either of your choices. having said that, The BT-50, Ranger and Colorado are better choices and if you shop around can be had for the same money as a Nissan or Mitso. My brother in law just sold his Ranger for a Landcriuser as he upgraded his van and needed the extra tow capacity, but was very happy with the Ford whilst he had it. (I must confess my shame, he used it to tow my Freightliner off a boggy lawn because I couldn't get traction, no photo thank God!) Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jul 2018, 2:39 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:(I must confess my shame, he used it to tow my Freightliner off a boggy lawn because I couldn't get traction, no photo thank God!) Cheers.

Wet or muddy grass on the farm is our biggest problem by far. Add steep hills and the Landcruiser shines.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 15 Jul 2018, 5:03 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Toyota Landcruisers hold their value for good reason, the only thing you want if you want to get into seriously difficult country, and get out again.

I run all over the cape in a landrover (97 defender). Cruisers are good but not the only option and ridiculously over priced
:D :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jul 2018, 5:17 pm

Daddybang wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I run all over the cape in a landrover (97 defender). Cruisers are good but not the only option and ridiculously over priced

The Defender is a good one too, but are the newer models as good as the earlier ones? The ex-ARMY ones come up regularly for auction but they seem to demand more than I'd want to pay for an ex-military vehicle.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Jul 2018, 6:54 pm

None of the new breed are worth s**t mate, they all have problems of one sort or another and can be somewhat costly so really do your research and make sure you know what you really are buying..
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by madang55 » 15 Jul 2018, 7:13 pm

Thanks people. I would love a cruiser, but for the money I would be buying something older and with higher kms. I used to own a Series II/1963 landy as well. Talk about bullet proof!!!, but too old. I am keeping my eye out for a Mazda or Holden as well, but they're scarce. Fords are dime a doz, but mostly the smaller engines. The search goes on
madang55
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 15 Jul 2018, 7:36 pm

bigfellascott wrote:None of the new breed are worth s**t mate, they all have problems of one sort or another and can be somewhat costly so really do your research and make sure you know what you really are buying..

This is pretty much dead right. Don't believe the hype about this one's great and that one's s**t. If you wanted to, you could get into a hilux for that money if you look around. Like them or loathe them, every large country town has a Toyota and Holden dealership for good reason.........
Bent Arrow
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 15 Jul 2018, 7:39 pm

Range Rover, the best 4x4xfar
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Major
Major

New South Wales

Post by Thom318 » 15 Jul 2018, 9:06 pm

I'm a big fan of Isuzu based 4x4s, but I'm pretty biased, growing up in Rodeos and having owned a couple. My current DMax isn't the fastest or flashiest, or even very refined, but proven pretty decent off-road, costs bugger all to run and has been completely reliable, best car I've owned so far. You could easily pick up a good late Rodeo or early DMax in your price range
Thom318
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Jul 2018, 12:56 am

bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jul 2018, 5:48 am

To answer you original question. I have a 4 year old triton. For mild 4x4 work does the job fine.
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 16 Jul 2018, 7:26 am

I bought a 2016 Ranger a few weeks ago now. I'm pretty happy with it so far. The Suby is now up for sale.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Col » 16 Jul 2018, 7:29 am

FWIW When you decide on a breed take a look at the ex govt auctions, Pickles etc, as they can be a good place to pick up a reasonably priced well serviced vehicle. Especially if you are willing to be patient and look at a few vehicles.

I have purchased 2 L/C from Pickles this year and have been wrapped with the value. One was a 200 wagon (for the missus) and the other a 2012 L/C ute (c/c) with 78k on the clock, upgraded GVM and 2 inch lift for $46k. Wrapped in both.

Cant go past a L/C or Hilux even with a few kms. They just last. We are running 9 Toyotas and most have 350k km plus on the clock. Bullet proof.
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 16 Jul 2018, 9:28 am

bladeracer wrote:
Daddybang wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

The Defender is a good one too, but are the newer models as good as the earlier ones? The ex-ARMY ones come up regularly for auction but they seem to demand more than I'd want to pay for an ex-military vehicle.

Like most makes these days they're great when they're going but f@#iin expensive when they're broken!;
Personally I don't like the electrical systems and computers in the modern fourbies as they're too bloody hard to fix if ya out in the middle of nowhere.!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by scoobs » 16 Jul 2018, 9:29 am

i love my ranger. seen a few px rangers go for around 25k
Attachments
36803903_10156797789586264_7960042367770165248_o.jpg
36803903_10156797789586264_7960042367770165248_o.jpg (112.49 KiB) Viewed 954 times
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 17 Jul 2018, 6:28 pm

I'll just throw this here. :) :drinks:

FB_IMG_1531734409626.jpg
FB_IMG_1531734409626.jpg (13.73 KiB) Viewed 916 times
Daddybang
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Next

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel