What is the best finish/coating ?

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

What is the best finish/coating ?

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Jul 2018, 8:55 pm

Am wondering what impressions people have as to what is the best finish or coating on a Bullbar.

Paint ?

Powder Coat ?

:unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: What is the best finish/coating ?

Post by Apollo » 24 Jul 2018, 9:10 pm

Why..??

Who cares..??

Paint, easy re-coat.

Powder Coat, harder but re-coat with paint.

Is this for a "Yuppie" vehicle that never gets a scratch, dirty or for a Work Vehicle then...who cares, they are basically the same.

Which one is cheaper. It's a piece of metal in front of a vehicle that can be replaced quick if it gets the polish rubbed of it.....
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 24 Jul 2018, 9:27 pm

BTW....

Try hitting a Bull with what people call a "Bullbar"....

Don't think you'll be worried about the paint/coating....

Get what looks right, price right for You.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 24 Jul 2018, 9:54 pm

Hey DJ...
Im scared to reply...

Im no metal coating expert, but id be inclined to think a good tuff durable paint might be the go.
But id go something easy to touch up.
Im not sure if one is more chip resistant, &/or if one chips off with smaller bits.

My bull bar is colour coded to my car & i believe it was a 2pak & its held up pretty well-nearly 8 years now & no real bad chips or meat hook scratches in it.

When i was young & stupid i powder coated the entire diff housing & brake backing plates, U bolts etc on my EH...looked flashy from behind at night...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Jul 2018, 8:13 pm

Stix wrote:Hey DJ...
Im scared to reply...

No worries Mate, your input is appreciated.

Sometime in the near future I'll post up some pics of what I'm about to do,,,,, and the end product.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Jul 2018, 8:37 pm

Apollo wrote:Why..??

Who cares..??

Paint, easy re-coat.

Powder Coat, harder but re-coat with paint.

Is this for a "Yuppie" vehicle that never gets a scratch, dirty or for a Work Vehicle then...who cares, they are basically the same.

Which one is cheaper. It's a piece of metal in front of a vehicle that can be replaced quick if it gets the polish rubbed of it.....

Why ? Because I always do my homework before I embark on projects, which sometimes includes forum members opinions or expertise.

Who Cares ? I do, and obviously you don't,,,, so I fail to see why you bothered to post anything about the question at hand.

Is this for a "Yuppie" vehicle that never gets a scratch, dirty or for a work vehicle ?

Unlike *some* people I go to some extraordinary places that involve getting dirty, having scrapes, and occasional damage be it superficial or mechanical,,,, but at the end of the day/trip, I repair and maintain the vehicle so it performs to my satisfaction.
So I guess my vehicle/s fill both categories
I apologize if this this seems to be an unreal expectation,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, because, I care.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 25 Jul 2018, 9:03 pm

Hi DJ. General consensus is that powder coating is far more durable than paint. Back in a past life as a panel beater this question used to come up regularly from punters wanting bull bars and other bar bar work painted. As far as I am aware all the major manufacturers powder coat their bars. That in itself says something........
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Jul 2018, 9:29 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:Hi DJ. General consensus is that powder coating is far more durable than paint. Back in a past life as a panel beater this question used to come up regularly from punters wanting bull bars and other bar bar work painted. As far as I am aware all the major manufacturers powder coat their bars. That in itself says something........

Thanks for that Mate,
I got some quotes today and learned something that may be of assistance to future Powder Coat customers.
*** If you get a quote to get something powder coated,, it pays to ask if it will be primed after abrasive blasting, and before powder coating.

Apparently some unscrupulous businesses just powder coat only on the bare blasted steel. (hence, a cheaper quote)

I was told that without the priming, the finished coat will blister or peel fairly easily, not to mention rust forming underneath it.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 25 Jul 2018, 10:54 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Bent Arrow wrote:Hi DJ. General consensus is that powder coating is far more durable than paint. Back in a past life as a panel beater this question used to come up regularly from punters wanting bull bars and other bar bar work painted. As far as I am aware all the major manufacturers powder coat their bars. That in itself says something........

Thanks for that Mate,
I got some quotes today and learned something that may be of assistance to future Powder Coat customers.
*** If you get a quote to get something powder coated,, it pays to ask if it will be primed after abrasive blasting, and before powder coating.

Apparently some unscrupulous businesses just powder coat only on the bare blasted steel. (hence, a cheaper quote)

I was told that without the priming, the finished coat will blister or peel fairly easily, not to mention rust forming underneath it.

I’m here to tell you that most powdercoaters don’t blast anything. It just gets prep washed and powdecoated after a short preheat.

Prep is always the key, if you’re building it yourself degrease the lot and key the surfaces with a flap disk or sander before sending out for finishing.

If it’s steel which I’m assuming it is I’d say pay to have it etch primed with a zink rich primer and painted with an automotive or industrial 2K paint. Nothing is tougher.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Jul 2018, 9:32 am

Chronos wrote:

I’m here to tell you that most powdercoaters don’t blast anything. It just gets prep washed and powdecoated after a short preheat.

Prep is always the key, if you’re building it yourself degrease the lot and key the surfaces with a flap disk or sander before sending out for finishing.

If it’s steel which I’m assuming it is I’d say pay to have it etch primed with a zink rich primer and painted with an automotive or industrial 2K paint. Nothing is tougher.

Chronos

Yeah Mate,
I don't doubt for a moment what you say, BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
This one will CERTAINLY be getting abrasive blasted.
The bar itself was powder coated when new, and all that will have to be removed,
PLUS I am doing some major modifications to it now before I deliver it to the abrasive blasters.
Cheers :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 19 Aug 2018, 7:55 pm

POR15? You can paint it on with a brush, it dries nice a flat and it is durable. I have painted the underside of cars with it.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 19 Aug 2018, 10:02 pm

2pack paint is what is used for touching up powder coating
I would suggest maybe pro tech paraglaze
http://www.protec.com.au/images/uploads ... ze_aue.pdf
it is a paint for vehicles such as buses trucks ect that are left outside in all conditions
tough as nails, easy to use and great finish :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel