Smartphone GPS app

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Smartphone GPS app

Post by Roo farmer » 05 Aug 2018, 9:23 pm

Does anybody know of any useful GPS navagation app that can be used for finding your way back home when driving around in the dark? Would preferably have satellite maps and be able to mark a course of travel to follow back.

MUST be able to work where there is no phone signal.

I realise there are purpose made devices that do this, but if there was an app that would do the job that would be so much more convenient.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Smartphone GPS app

Post by Stix » 06 Aug 2018, 12:23 am

Hi roo farmer
Im not tech savvy at all, but i do vaguely remember having a short conversation regarding this with someone a while back & from memory they said a mobile phone cannot operate the gps without a signal.
I cant recall the details why, from vague memory was something to do with the gps component in the phone.

Sorry i cant be of more help...but i would very much like the same...!!
Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JSS » 06 Aug 2018, 7:30 am

The Hema maps app works without phone signal and will track your trip so you can follow it back. You do have to download the maps for the area you're using while you have service though, i made that mistake once when we did an extended trip and i drove off the edge of the world according to my phone.
I also have the Navionics app, which as the name suggests is more for boats, i use it when we go exploring on the jetskis, i have tested it when we have gone out fishing 80-100kms off shore and it works without ph signal too and i think is a better app, but haven't tried it with the car yet. it also has well detailed maps. They aren't free apps you have to buy them, but i think they are worth it.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 06 Aug 2018, 7:37 am

Australia topo maps is another option. The free version is worth a look to see if you like the format, then get the pay version for the features like track logging. I've got a couple of hand held GPA but this has come my go to option for ease of use. Works fine without a signal. If you want high resolution satellite images but are going to be in an area without a signal just download the images for that area before you leave home.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Rod_outbak » 06 Aug 2018, 7:40 am

I think the more accurate location is derived using both GPS signal AND the cell signal, but pretty sure any recent smartphone will be able to give you a position on a downloaded map without the cell signal. Have a look for offline maps gps in the smartphone app store.

Given the 'Night Sky' apps use the phones GPS & compass to give you the star names on the night sky, and given it works where I dont have cell coverage(in my front yard), I'm thinking it highly likely you can find an app that does what you need. I have a sneaking feeling that if you have a Google account, you might even be able to download google maps/satellite imagery, and use that. I know my iPad had something like what you need, but as it's now dead, I cant find out what the app was called.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Aug 2018, 7:58 pm

Looks to me the free version needs mobile coverage

topo map.jpg
topo map.jpg (112 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 06 Aug 2018, 9:59 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Looks to me the free version needs mobile coverage

topo map.jpg

You'll want the pay version regardless.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Archie » 07 Aug 2018, 8:15 am

Rod_outbak wrote:I think the more accurate location is derived using both GPS signal AND the cell signal, but pretty sure any recent smartphone will be able to give you a position on a downloaded map without the cell signal. Have a look for offline maps gps in the smartphone app store. .

That's correct. I use google maps all the time in airplane mode, to save battery, but with offline maps. It doesn't need a cell signal (as long as you've downloaded the map prior).
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Roo farmer » 08 Aug 2018, 7:58 am

I'm giving Australian Topo Maps a go. So far it looks promising, but I haven't been out of phone signal yet, so I'll see how it goes.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by YoungBuck » 10 Aug 2018, 10:43 am

Stix wrote:Hi roo farmer
Im not tech savvy at all, but i do vaguely remember having a short conversation regarding this with someone a while back & from memory they said a mobile phone cannot operate the gps without a signal.
I cant recall the details why, from vague memory was something to do with the gps component in the phone.

Sorry i cant be of more help...but i would very much like the same...!!
Cheers

Perhaps older versions of smartphones. These days they operate without the need to have signal.
Quite often I am in bush with 0 signal, yet google maps updates with my location (need to have offline map pre-downloaded obviously) (Galaxy S7).
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by albat » 10 Aug 2018, 10:03 pm

backcountry navigator is the go if you run an android phone, free satellite imagery ,download the areas prior to loosing signal try it then buy the pro version well worth it
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 12 Aug 2018, 5:08 pm

Watching with interest, some good info.
Member-Deleted

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel