Learning Off road driving around Sydney

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Learning Off road driving around Sydney

Post by Yipikaye » 15 Aug 2018, 6:26 am

Hi Guys,

Been driving for many years and driven the odd fire trail or something when hiking in a sedan. The wife and I have got our first 4WD (nothing crazy) and we're not ready to get fully into off road driving and joining a 4x4 club.

We would like to drive a few trails out to nice picnic areas and things we can do as day trips with the family.

Is there anywhere you would recommend around the Sydney area I can get out with the 4WD and get more confident in driving the tracks and do some great exploring too :)
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Learning Off road driving around Sydney

Post by 2freeq » 15 Aug 2018, 7:20 am

There is a great book called 4wd treks close to Sydney by Boiling Billy. Its full of great tracks and very well detailed info all within a hour or 2 of Sydney.

https://www.dymocks.com.au/book/4wd-tre ... 3NHetgzbOQ
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
EMEI Chinese side lever .117 Air Rifle
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Yipikaye » 15 Aug 2018, 7:23 am

Oh sweet will check it out. Thanks.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lifesaride » 15 Aug 2018, 8:26 am

Mate best advice I can give is try to get the feelers out for someone or a group with a bit of experience you can tag along with. You’ll be surprised how far a stock 4WD can get with a set of AT tyres once you know how to use it and how to pick a line.

There’s a stack of tracks and decent spots to look around out Lithgow way of varying difficulty. Haven’t been out that way in years so can’t remember track names but do your research because there’s plenty that aren’t for the inexperienced and bog holes (probably pretty dry at present) that you wouldn’t get out of without a winch.
Cheers
Lifesaride
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 15 Aug 2018, 8:40 am

Be wary that many tracks close to cities a nd popular camp areas will have been turned into mud pits by people who think getting into and out of mud is what 4wd is about.

Found this out the hard way on a track i had been using safely for 20 years.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Littlegem » 15 Aug 2018, 8:40 am

Hey mate when I started 4wding in a big way I joined sydney 4x4 club, its a great club with great people, there's also the sydney tracks 4x4 facebook page that does runs occasionally you can join in on, the sydney 4wd club does 4wd training of various sorts from, winch, bush mechanics, beach, beginner and advanced etc so it is worth the money, hope that helps
Littlegem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel