Motorbike mod idea to trigger traffic induction loop sensor

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Motorbike mod idea to trigger traffic induction loop sensor

Post by Lorgar » 25 Feb 2019, 3:09 pm

Mad scientist time here...

Everyone will be familiar with this story... motorbike pulls up at lights, induction loop in the road doesn't detect you, traffic light doesn't change.

Other than the basic principle I don't really know much about these sensors, so have assumed a few things. If I've got anything wrong I'm happy to be corrected.

The first solution that comes up anywhere you looks is adding a magnet to the bottom of your bike... call me skeptical. If a 170kg of mostly steel bike wasn't detected by the loop, I'm dubious, to say the least, as to how much difference a 30 gram magnet on the bottom can possibly make.

My question (and idea depending on the answer) is... Does the sensor detection work based on metal surface area, or on bulk mass?

If it's the former, I wondered if adding a custom outlined shape 0.5mm sheet of steel to the bike's bellypan would be a solution to the problem?

My thinking being this would create a relatively "large" flat metal object, close to the road, similar to the floorpan of a car, while only adding a few hundred grams to the bike and being basically invisible as it's flush with the bottom of the bike.

Or is surface area nothing to the sensor, and it needs more steel mass to activate?

Anyone in the know on these things?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Motorbike mod idea to trigger traffic induction loop sen

Post by sungazer » 25 Feb 2019, 3:52 pm

The sensors I have worked on are fitted to trams and emergency service vehicles. the are a powered device that have four codes that can be or are pre set. Just being on top of a pad in a car,truck or bike is going to do nothing. There are other sensors that are for car detection however.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by VICHunter » 25 Feb 2019, 5:46 pm

sungazer wrote:The sensors I have worked on are fitted to trams and emergency service vehicles.

Huh? He's not talking about transmitters to switch the traffic lights green out of cycle for priority vehicles.

sungazer wrote:Just being on top of a pad in a car,truck or bike is going to do nothing.

Surely wrong, that's the whole point of the inroad sensor. I'm sure we've all pulled up to a red light late one night and a second after we hit the plate the cycle starts. They clearly do work, exactly like that.

sungazer wrote:There are other sensors that are for car detection however.

Are you going to elaborate on that, or are you just looking to be vague and mysterious? :lol:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 25 Feb 2019, 6:59 pm

2 words, 'Gold' 'Wing'
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Bent Arrow » 25 Feb 2019, 10:08 pm

IIRC, you need to have enough mass of metal inside the loop for it to trigger the lights. If your having trouble, you probably don't have sufficient mass of metal to change the inductance of the loop. Alternatively you may not be stopping inside the loop. Perhaps because you are on a bike you are stopping a bit further forward than a car would, and so you may be in front of, rather than inside of the loop??
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 25 Feb 2019, 11:58 pm

I find carrying a pillion helps...light won’t activate ? Kick the pillion off to run across the rd andvpress crossing button. Job done.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Lorgar » 26 Feb 2019, 6:57 pm

yoshie wrote:2 words, 'Gold' 'Wing'

I want to ride a motorbike.

Not a shipping container :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 26 Feb 2019, 6:59 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:IIRC, you need to have enough mass of metal inside the loop for it to trigger the lights. If your having trouble, you probably don't have sufficient mass of metal to change the inductance of the loop. Alternatively you may not be stopping inside the loop. Perhaps because you are on a bike you are stopping a bit further forward than a car would, and so you may be in front of, rather than inside of the loop??

I'm always conscious to stop at the right spot for the loop.

Unless there is a car approaching behind me, then I'll push forward and leave it to the car.

For the most part it is fine, I've just had it happen at 2 lights in a few months.

If it's a mass thing though that cans my idea to overcome the occasional fussy sensor. Bugger.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 27 Feb 2019, 6:58 am

I didnt mean to be vague. I guess a sentence like not all the time you see what looks to be a loop in the tarmac will be for normal traffic light control. some are special purpose only.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by VICHunter » 27 Feb 2019, 11:08 am

Just ribbing you a bit mate, no stress ;)
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 28 Feb 2019, 10:20 am

I wonder if anyone has really been fined for running the red when it has not tripped...if the intersection was camera protected, it would be dependant on the direction of camera as to whether they would bother trying to identify the rider...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by brett1868 » 28 Feb 2019, 3:13 pm

Traffic lights generally use an inductive loop sensor as the primary source of input to the program. Motorcycles don't present much of a disturbance to the relatively low voltage sensors but it can help if you pull up in the left / right side of the lane with the wire directly under the bike lengthwise. Depending on the location, time of day and traffic load in surrounding areas the lights will vary the importance of that sensor to improve flow. Useless Fact - During the mid 80's after a fire in a resin plant overseas the cost of computer memory skyrocketed. A bunch of clever crims were breaking into the traffic light controller boxes and stealing the memory modules to sell on the geek black market :)
In my motorcycle days I used to pull up right next to the pole and reach around and push the button unless I was on the scooter, I'd ride up on the footpath and press it. I was actually booked once for speeding while on a footpath....I thought it was funny, the magistrate not so much :(
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by BBJ » 01 Mar 2019, 7:26 pm

brett1868 wrote:I was actually booked once for speeding while on a footpath....I thought it was funny, the magistrate not so much :(

What then is the speed limit for riding on the footpath? :lol:
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel