Spotlighting vehicle advice

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Spotlighting vehicle advice

Post by Steve-0 » 29 Mar 2019, 10:48 am

Hi all, as the title suggests, looking for some advice on a 4x4 (preferably) to use primarily as a to work and back vehicle, and some occasional spotlight work.
Any hunting won't be in ultra tough terrain, some paddocks and dairy farm laneway type stuff.
A few limiting factors are it would need to be 5 seats to accommodate 2 kiddy seats in the back at times, and within a budget of 5 to 7k
Obviously for that price, I wouldn't expect a world beater, or anything too flash, just looking for something reliable and something that could get me out of a sticky situation if it arose.
Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.
I live in s/w Victoria if anyone knows of anything going at a good price hahaha
Cheers
Steve-0
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Spotlighting vehicle advice

Post by bigpete » 29 Mar 2019, 11:06 am

2.8l diesel Hilux twin cab for the win...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Steve-0 » 29 Mar 2019, 11:23 am

bigpete wrote:2.8l diesel Hilux twin cab for the win...

Yeah would be nice.
Steve-0
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 29 Mar 2019, 11:48 am

3.0 L GU patrols have dropped in price lately. They have a 3rd row seating option.

They're definitely a robust rig.

A side mount spotlight works well if your vehicle is fitted with a roof cage.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Steve-0 » 29 Mar 2019, 12:04 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:3.0 L GU patrols have dropped in price lately. They have a 3rd row seating option.

Do you have one? Or know of someone who does?
Steve-0
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Mar 2019, 12:29 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:3.0 L GU patrols have dropped in price lately. They have a 3rd row seating option.

They were known as the "Handgrenade" if memory serves me correctly, cos they had a habit of detonating apparently. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 29 Mar 2019, 12:35 pm

Steve-0 wrote:

I've got a Turbo 4.2 GU. It's a great bus.

I Have a couple of mates with 3.0L patrols.
They have done the NADS (Nissan Anti Detonation) mods to the engines and haven't had any issues.

In standard form the early 3.0L engine will melt pistons if you flog the motor under heavy loads for extended periods.

The later 3.0L engine didn't suffer the same problems.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Mar 2019, 9:30 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
Steve-0 wrote:

I've got a Turbo 4.2 GU. It's a great bus.

I Have a couple of mates with 3.0L patrols.
They have done the NADS (Nissan Anti Detonation) mods to the engines and haven't had any issues.

In standard form the early 3.0L engine will melt pistons if you flog the motor under heavy loads for extended periods.

The later 3.0L engine didn't suffer the same problems.

Thanks for that info OWW, my mates got a 3L and it detonated a few yrs back and it's since had the NADS things done to it too I believe, hopefully that will be the end of what was an expensive repair bill from memory. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chappo » 29 Mar 2019, 9:48 pm

+1 for the 2.8l hilux if you can find a good one. They were pretty damn reliable and very good off-road being so lite.
Problem is they’re getting on now and finding a low km one that’s well looked after is tricky.
Sold mine for the best ute ever made (hj45) but those don’t come in a dual cab :(
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by flutch » 30 Mar 2019, 2:48 am

My two bob is get a ute first of all so start thinking dual cab, then avoid colorados and rodeos like the plague, you want something that you can shoot from the drivers seat of, for this again avoid colorados and rodeos, the windows are low and s**t, some of the early 2000's dual cabs are great in that regard but they ALL come with a laundry list of issues, for example, if you go any of them they will likely ALL need CV's so if you do decide to go rougher be aware of that, I personally had a courier 2.5 turbo diesel and once I rebuilt the engine (blown head due to dropping a plastic tank on the radiator gassing it up a steep hill) it went hard till the day I sold it, only issue was completely blew out the CV's and Clutch twice! these things are not made strong on glorified shopping trolleys like mid-sized Japanese pickups, NONE of them have these items as strengths... another one bad for throwing clutches are 2.5l navaras, and I am sure Toyota aren't saints here either, but I would consider a hilux however some models have low windows and are restrictive to shoot out of, much like the colorados, the older models probably not as bad as the later ones.The Mitsubishi Tritons come well off the ground as standard from the early 2000's onwards and all have generous window size making it easier to shoot from, but good luck getting one thats not in need of sleeves and rings... all in all My bet would be getting either a hilux, or a courier/early ranger with a good service history and where some other sucker has spent the money already. I would tell you to look at trolls and cruisers, but at that price point I can guarantee you will be buying a project car more than a reliable shooting bus.

All vehicles I have referred to are diesel, I have limited to no experience with many of their petrol variants except the Holdens, and again avoid.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by flutch » 30 Mar 2019, 2:54 am

bigfellascott wrote:

They were known as the "Handgrenade" if memory serves me correctly, cos they had a habit of detonating apparently. :unknown:

well yeah much like people are starting to find with the 200 series v8 and a lot of other modern diesels as they become more prolific and enter the 2nd hand market/dont receive the regular maintenance and servicing they all very much require, you can make them almost bulletproof however, just depends on whether or not you care about emissions, the greatest cause of failure on them are their PCV and EGR systems as well as poor servicing/subsequent turbo issues. My troll has no emissions controls and now runs 20lb boost, runs cooler, gets better economy than before (almost half the pre-removal of EGR and PCV re-circulation consumption) and my intercooler, throttle body and cat are not filled with s**t from the recycling of basically waste and laquer/grease from the emission control systems.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by womble » 30 Mar 2019, 3:27 am

suzuki jimny
because if ninjas drove cars
Last edited by womble on 30 Mar 2019, 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 30 Mar 2019, 3:31 am

Actually,from a pure ease of shooting from perspective,I found my mates Jackaroo to have excellent seating position and really huge windows. It surprised the s**t out of me how good it was compared to my old Hilux,and I loved that thing
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by flutch » 30 Mar 2019, 3:56 am

womble wrote:suzuki jimny
because if ninjas drove cars

+1 for a suzie, hell if ya dont want to throw stuff in the back or stand on the back shooting, or even then, best of both worlds would be a suzie with a soft canvas top! whether a sierra, jimny, vitara... all good little wagons.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by flutch » 30 Mar 2019, 3:58 am

bigpete wrote:Actually,from a pure ease of shooting from perspective,I found my mates Jackaroo to have excellent seating position and really huge windows. It surprised the s**t out of me how good it was compared to my old Hilux,and I loved that thing

yeah but having owned a almost problem free jackaroo unless you run a platinum MasterCard with someone else paying the monthly interest don't do it. both the petrol and diesel are not remotely economical and both have massive issues, diffs are s**t and wheel bearings are almost un-serviceable, run for the hills I say, also they're getting old and they all have the same faults so parts aren't that plentiful.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Steve-0 » 30 Mar 2019, 7:59 am

flutch wrote:My two bob is get a ute first of all so start thinking dual cab, then avoid colorados and rodeos like the plague, you want something that you can shoot from the drivers seat of, for this again avoid colorados and rodeos, the windows are low and s**t, some of the early 2000's dual cabs are great in that regard but they ALL come with a laundry list of issues, for example, if you go any of them they will likely ALL need CV's so if you do decide to go rougher be aware of that, I personally had a courier 2.5 turbo diesel and once I rebuilt the engine (blown head due to dropping a plastic tank on the radiator gassing it up a steep hill) it went hard till the day I sold it, only issue was completely blew out the CV's and Clutch twice! these things are not made strong on glorified shopping trolleys like mid-sized Japanese pickups, NONE of them have these items as strengths... another one bad for throwing clutches are 2.5l navaras, and I am sure Toyota aren't saints here either, but I would consider a hilux however some models have low windows and are restrictive to shoot out of, much like the colorados, the older models probably not as bad as the later ones.The Mitsubishi Tritons come well off the ground as standard from the early 2000's onwards and all have generous window size making it easier to shoot from, but good luck getting one thats not in need of sleeves and rings... all in all My bet would be getting either a hilux, or a courier/early ranger with a good service history and where some other sucker has spent the money already. I would tell you to look at trolls and cruisers, but at that price point I can guarantee you will be buying a project car more than a reliable shooting bus.

All vehicles I have referred to are diesel, I have limited to no experience with many of their petrol variants except the Holdens, and again avoid.

A couple of couriers have come up on the radar actually, I will have to have a look.
Ideally, my budget would be a bit broader, but it is was it is.
Thank for the feedback
Steve-0
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Steve-0 » 30 Mar 2019, 8:03 am

Chappo wrote:+1 for the 2.8l hilux if you can find a good one. They were pretty damn reliable and very good off-road being so lite.
Problem is they’re getting on now and finding a low km one that’s well looked after is tricky.
Sold mine for the best ute ever made (hj45) but those don’t come in a dual cab :(

The majority of the above mentioned hilux's are coming in at around a minimum of 10k on various car sale sites, what would you suggest a reasonable price would be?
Steve-0
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 30 Mar 2019, 8:43 am

Not sure where you're looking but I just spent a minute doing a search and found a heap at around 3 to 6k ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Mar 2019, 9:03 am

Steve-0 wrote:
Chappo wrote:+1 for the 2.8l hilux if you can find a good one. They were pretty damn reliable and very good off-road being so lite.

The majority of the above mentioned hilux's are coming in at around a minimum of 10k on various car sale sites, what would you suggest a reasonable price would be?

10K for a clapped out Hilux - Tell em their dreamin! :wtf: Like any vehicle it's all about how well maintained they are and not the badge on the front of em, people just believe this crap that if it's this brand it's bulletproof and you can't go wrong, like f*** ya can't!

Nothing lasts forever and even less so if it's not maintained properly! :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Steve-0 » 30 Mar 2019, 9:12 am

bigpete wrote:Not sure where you're looking but I just spent a minute doing a search and found a heap at around 3 to 6k ?

Have been looking on car sales, location Victoria.
Steve-0
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Chappo » 30 Mar 2019, 10:43 am

Steve-0 wrote:

10k seems rich to me. The dual cabs are the most expensive but for reference I sold my hilux space cab for 8k about 5 years ago.
Have a look on red book or one of the other valuation sites.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 30 Mar 2019, 11:09 am

My advice would be to get a Suzuki Grand Vitara for that price range. The reason being you are more likely to get more reliable transport that will be capable of doing the shooting you are after. Old larger four wheel drives are likely to have much higher km, with more risk of a necessity for very expensive repairs and maintenance than a Grand Vitara. If you don’t want to spend more than 7 grand l suspect you won’t want to spend thousands repairing a vehicle closer to the end of its service life than the beginning. I know people will chime in saying how great hiluxes, landcruisers, patrols are. This was certainly true. WHEN they were new. Not when they have had all the service life sucked out of them. For the same money you will buy a better Grand Vitara than you will a Patrol, Cruiser, Prado etc in your price range.

Having said all that, you wouldn’t have to try very hard to buy a brand new 2018 model Mitsubishi Triton 4wd Dual cab GLX for $28k drive away. It will come with a long warranty and capped price servicing. I know it is way over your budget, but you don’t need much to go wrong with an old 4wd, before the price of repairs really creeps up.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Steve-0 » 30 Mar 2019, 11:14 am

Bruiser64 wrote:My advice would be to get a Suzuki Grand Vitara for that price range. The reason being you are more likely to get more reliable transport that will be capable of doing the shooting you are after. Old larger four wheel drives are likely to have much higher km, with more risk of a necessity for very expensive repairs and maintenance than a Grand Vitara. If you don’t want to spend more than 7 grand l suspect you won’t want to spend thousands repairing a vehicle closer to the end of its service life than the beginning. I know people will chime in saying how great hiluxes, landcruisers, patrols are. This was certainly true. WHEN they were new. Not when they have had all the service life sucked out of them. For the same money you will buy a better Grand Vitara than you will a Patrol, Cruiser, Prado etc in your price range.

Having said all that, you wouldn’t have to try very hard to buy a brand new 2018 model Mitsubishi Triton 4wd Dual cab GLX for $28k drive away. It will come with a long warranty and capped price servicing. I know it is way over your budget, but you don’t need much to go wrong with an old 4wd, before the price of repairs really creeps up.

The Vitara sounds like it could be worth a look. Definitely would only be used for the very lighter end of 4x4ing. Maybe once a month or so, driving around a couple of farms scouting foxes. The farms I'll be going on are mainly dairy, so between May and September will be calving and no doubt sneaky foxes looking for a quick tasty meal.
That Triton sounds like a great option, not long brought a new kia Sorento so a new vehicle will be a few years away.
Steve-0
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Mar 2019, 12:08 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:My advice would be to get a Suzuki Grand Vitara for that price range. The reason being you are more likely to get more reliable transport that will be capable of doing the shooting you are after. Old larger four wheel drives are likely to have much higher km, with more risk of a necessity for very expensive repairs and maintenance than a Grand Vitara. If you don’t want to spend more than 7 grand l suspect you won’t want to spend thousands repairing a vehicle closer to the end of its service life than the beginning. I know people will chime in saying how great hiluxes, landcruisers, patrols are. This was certainly true. WHEN they were new. Not when they have had all the service life sucked out of them. For the same money you will buy a better Grand Vitara than you will a Patrol, Cruiser, Prado etc in your price range.

Spot on Bruiser, it's ok if you are mechanically minded and can fix your own vehicles etc but if not these older vehicles are usually at near the end of their reliable service and will require $$$ spent on them to keep em going as a rule and the other thing to remember is getting parts for them can also be a bit of a problem at times too.

Not an easy decision - let us know which direction you end up heading in mate. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Steve-0 » 30 Mar 2019, 12:29 pm

Anyone had any experience with an AWD off road? Ie ford territory? Throw some bigger chunkier tyres on hope for the best?
It am I pissing in the wind hahaha they seem plentiful and the 4l i6 are reliable
Steve-0
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 30 Mar 2019, 1:15 pm

Steve-0 wrote:Anyone had any experience with an AWD off road? Ie ford territory? Throw some bigger chunkier tyres on hope for the best?
It am I pissing in the wind hahaha they seem plentiful and the 4l i6 are reliable

One of the earlier model Honda CRV’s maybe ok. My wife owned the first and second models. She said the first model had a lower first gear than the second model. Both her CRVs were very very reliable. If you are able to buy a lowish km version, and stick some all terrain tyres that may work quite ok. On the slimy ground traction, more so than wheel articulation and ground clearance would be the key. Here are a couple of examples from car sales. The beauty of the CRV is they are unlikely to have been flogged by a young bloke. Unless the young bloke throws a light dart and rings his mum 9 times a day.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/detail ... AD-5857057

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/detail ... AD-5892127
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 30 Mar 2019, 1:34 pm

I do all of my stuff these days in a Ford rtv, if you're smart you can get most places,but it's no 4x4.
As for older 4x4s,I'd rather one of them than a new one that I can't work on.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 30 Mar 2019, 4:24 pm

+1, ford rtv on gas would be a top find. even if the milage was high.

op you need to consider the cost of ownership after your initial outlay.
i did have a 96 hilux that would not die despite so much neglect and mistreatment.
but servicing, parts, tyres, suspension etc not cheap.
i mean if that's what your heart wants, go for it. but something like that under 6 grand. easy to spend as much again getting it well sorted.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by brinny » 01 Apr 2019, 12:37 pm

Pity you are after a twin cab....I have just set up a Polaris as a shooting unit and will more than likely sell my old 95 hilux as it sits for around the 5K...reg. but no road worthy...

A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Spotlighting vehicle advicee

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Apr 2019, 1:55 pm

I’ve a 2015 navara work vehicle and a 98 navara bush / wood / shoot / play 4b.
The 80,000klm service on the 2016 was $1180. It is on its 4th sets of tyres @ approx $4K and all up some $5k in servicing and parts. It cost $36k new and is pretty average in the 4wd department. It’s auto and has electronic everything. Traction cntl and ABS can be a saviour in the Bush for some, but a down right pain in the hindrance to others.

The 98 navara I’bought for $4300 and spent a grand fixing everything that needed fixing...and last service was $80. This thing has wide rubber, 2inch lift kit, 2 spare wheels, 140litre after market tank and climbs everywhere. It sucks on the highway and 90klms is max cruising speed but it carry’s 2 ton wood no trouble.

They are two completely different 4 wheel drives...work out exactly whAt YOU require...and start researching.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Next

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel