Setting the bead on quadbike tyres / fitting new tyres

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Setting the bead on quadbike tyres / fitting new tyres

Post by Blr243 » 25 Apr 2019, 6:12 pm

Once I had a job driving trucks for a wheat harvest. There I was taught to use petrol and a lighter to set the bead on the truck tyres with a mini explosion and then inflate to required pressure. It was all so easy. Never had a problem. Today trying again with wd 40 petrol metho and starting fluid I had a ton of trouble no matter what I tried I set one bead good with a blast that also singed all the hairs on my arms. I don’t really want to blow myself up or set the back yard on fire. I spent time on YouTube trying to get it sorted. I seemed to be getting lots of fires but no mini blasts to punch the beads into place. I ended up resorting to a high volume compressor to get the second tyre done. But out bush next time I’m not likely to have a high volume compressor. Can anyone offer any tips please ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Setting the bead on quadbike tyres / fitting new tyres

Post by pomemax » 25 Apr 2019, 6:26 pm

pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 Apr 2019, 7:18 pm

Blr243 wrote:Once I had a job driving trucks for a wheat harvest. There I was taught to use petrol and a lighter to set the bead on the truck tyres with a mini explosion and then inflate to required pressure. It was all so easy. Never had a problem. Today trying again with wd 40 petrol metho and starting fluid I had a ton of trouble no matter what I tried I set one bead good with a blast that also singed all the hairs on my arms. I don’t really want to blow myself up or set the back yard on fire. I spent time on YouTube trying to get it sorted. I seemed to be getting lots of fires but no mini blasts to punch the beads into place. I ended up resorting to a high volume compressor to get the second tyre done. But out bush next time I’m not likely to have a high volume compressor. Can anyone offer any tips please ?

Keep a length of rope handy with a loop in one end. Wrap it around the circumference of the tyre, pull it tight to compress the centre of the tyre and push the side walls out, then inflate. Changed hundreds of tyres on my race bikes without always having a compressor handy. Haven't done balloon tyres in 35 years but a rope should help.

EDIT: Don't forget to wet the beads to help them seat, soapy water is great but water will do.
Last edited by bladeracer on 25 Apr 2019, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 25 Apr 2019, 8:00 pm

Bladeracer has good advice.

Also If you have to use combustibles remember that a little is a lot, an overly rich fuel / air mixture will not give the abrupt expansion necessary.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 25 Apr 2019, 8:59 pm

I would buy or obtain the Tyre lube that Tyre fitters use. I have found that the Tyre lube makes seating the bead on my 660 Ténéré a lot easier. I carry a small tin of it along with an old toothbrush in case I need to repair a tube out in the field. Also carry a small electric pump and the co2 canisters to bump up the Tyre pressure if needed. But in all honesty the proper Tyre lube really does make the job a lot easier. It’s pretty inexpensive too.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tyre-Tire-M ... 1317048616
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by tom604 » 25 Apr 2019, 10:30 pm

forget the rope,,ratchet strap is a lot easier,,a little spray of start ya barstard makes a good pop
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Apr 2019, 11:55 am

tom604 wrote:forget the rope,,ratchet strap is a lot easier,,a little spray of start ya barstard makes a good pop

I ve used ratchets as well as rope, best thing with rope is to put a couple loops in the ends, put a metre or so lump of wood or pipe thru loops and twist - actually pushes the bead onto wheel. Can be hard to get same force with ratchet if side walls are insanely stiff - also helps to actually warm the rubber...used to leave tyres sitting on roof in sun before changing.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 26 Apr 2019, 4:11 pm

tom604 wrote:forget the rope,,ratchet strap is a lot easier,,a little spray of start ya barstard makes a good pop

A mate of mine prefers a rachet strap, I hate them myself.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 26 Apr 2019, 6:02 pm

Thank you very much. All that should help a lot. I will hopefully have two more rear tyres arrive sometime next week So it will be nice to see it all come together logically instead of fighting with the tyres all day
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 26 Apr 2019, 7:35 pm

Blr243 wrote:Thank you very much. All that should help a lot. I will hopefully have two more rear tyres arrive sometime next week So it will be nice to see it all come together logically instead of fighting with the tyres all day

Especially considering the next layer to singe is skin... ;)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 26 Apr 2019, 8:36 pm

Reminds me of the time30 yrs ago when I first tried to light a gas griller in a stove. Gas turned on full and poking lit matches everywhere but no go so I lean over and poke my face in front of the griller for a better look and KABOOM. I will never forget that
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Apr 2019, 9:52 pm

If your out bush and only got a slow compressor it is hard work.

I used to solve that problem by using two things.

1) as already suggested, the use of tire lube or Red Rubber Grease,

2) get a roll of that grey foam (from Bunnings or similar store) that is used to wrap around pipes and posts prior to pouring concrete.
Cut 1" wide strips that are just the right length to match the diameter of the tire bead.
After fitting the tire, and before trying to pump it up,,, carefully insert the strips between the bead and the rim.
Start pumping,,, and as things start to tighten up, pull the strips out.

It takes a couple times practice to get the timing just right.
Too early, and all the pressure escapes.
Too late,, and you can't get the strips out.

But,,, if your out bush and desperate leave the strips in, it just squashes up completely, and you can tear the excess off from the outside.
If some gets inside the tire, it doesn't do any harm, and isn't enough to upset your wheel balance.

This can mean the difference between being able to get the tire inflated,,,, or being stuck in the bush with a flat tire.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 07 May 2019, 7:48 pm

Good tip. A temporary seal. Able flex they call that stuff. My new tyres turned up today I just tried the ratchet strap technique that somebody here suggested. It definitely helps push the beads out. And in combination with my new high flow pump I had the tyre done in no time. So much better than all the fighting for hours and setting fire to everything
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel