Universal Carrier

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: Universal Carrier

Post by trekin » 30 Apr 2019, 9:50 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XKTCFOx3bA
Looks a bit like a bren carrier.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2019, 5:48 pm

trekin wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XKTCFOx3bA
Looks a bit like a bren carrier.

Some of these look like great projects :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by knowsnothin » 30 Apr 2019, 8:22 pm

you need this. if i had the money i'd buy it for my wife...

Mk1 Ferret Scout Vehicle/ Car

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/tamwort ... 1213829919
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2019, 8:31 pm

knowsnothin wrote:you need this. if i had the money i'd buy it for my wife...

Mk1 Ferret Scout Vehicle/ Car

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/tamwort ... 1213829919

Such things would certainly be fun on the farm, but not very practical :-)
The idea with the Carrier is to be able to mount a derrick, an auger, a plow blade or whatever else I might need from time to time.
But it's also quite light, although a Carrier is three times the weight of Bob's old tractor, so it shouldn't make too much mess of the paddocks, and with such a low CoG it should be very grunty and unboggable.

I'm liking some of the conveyor-belt track designs I've seen.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 30 Apr 2019, 9:11 pm

How do they turn the lada tracked vehicle. Also in this video the tracks are dragging on the ground when turning will kill the tracks quickly...... I hired an excavator over the long weekend hence I remember turning and dragging... obviously worn sn excavator you can use the bucket and arm to lift the machine to make turning easier
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2019, 9:21 pm

Ziad wrote:How do they turn the lada tracked vehicle. Also in this video the tracks are dragging on the ground when turning will kill the tracks quickly...... I hired an excavator over the long weekend hence I remember turning and dragging... obviously worn sn excavator you can use the bucket and arm to lift the machine to make turning easier

Like most tracked vehicles I would expect they use differential braking.
The Carriers have a track warping system for minor steering input but differential braking for actually steering them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2019, 9:38 pm

Ziad wrote:How do they turn the lada tracked vehicle. Also in this video the tracks are dragging on the ground when turning will kill the tracks quickly...... I hired an excavator over the long weekend hence I remember turning and dragging... obviously worn sn excavator you can use the bucket and arm to lift the machine to make turning easier

I just had a close look at the video (I watched it on my phone before and couldn't make out anything useful) and it is differentially braked. I would guess they have a pair of brake systems that are operated by the steering components of the car as they move to each side.

I don't think there is any way to steer a single-tracked vehicle without dragging the tracks. Similar to why tandem trailers kill their tyres so quickly.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by trekin » 01 May 2019, 5:48 am

bladeracer wrote:

I just had a close look at the video (I watched it on my phone before and couldn't make out anything useful) and it is differentially braked. I would guess they have a pair of brake systems that are operated by the steering components of the car as they move to each side.

I don't think there is any way to steer a single-tracked vehicle without dragging the tracks. Similar to why tandem trailers kill their tyres so quickly.

Yes they are differentially braked. There are other videos showing how they attach the brake steer to the steering linkage. These tracks have been designed so that even the most isolated Ivan can build them with no more then a railway dog spike and a workshop press. Plenty of crazy Ivan videos out there showing this track system in use in the field. The one in that video are sold as ready to go units, and there are, also, plenty of commercially avialible tracked ATV's now using the same track design.
Unfortunately all tracked vehicles will chop up the paddocks more, wheather wet or dry, then tyred ones and you would need to decide how much you are willing to chop up your paddocks to have all weather access.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel