Vehicle Vandalisation while parked and away hunting

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Vehicle Vandalisation while parked and away hunting

Post by DHN » 30 Apr 2019, 9:11 am

Has any one here experienced having your vehicle (car/4wd/etc) vandalised/burnt out when parked and away hunting?

I am thinking of getting a Trail Cam just to stick on a tree and point at car.

Just wondering if it is an issue that I should be worried about or if it very unlikely.
Looking for Bow Hunting Buddies/properties.
Have R licence.
DHN
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Vehicle Vandalisation while parked and away hunting

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Apr 2019, 9:14 am

NO no probs ever. You can get apps that can detect cameras now!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigrich » 30 Apr 2019, 10:14 am

With some of the nut job vegan/animal liberation looneys around these days a hidden camera is a good idea I reckon
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Apr 2019, 10:21 am

bigfellascott wrote:NO no probs ever. You can get apps that can detect cameras now!

Really?? Do you have s link - I’ve lost some of mine...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 30 Apr 2019, 10:48 am

DHN wrote:Has any one here experienced having your vehicle (car/4wd/etc) vandalised/burnt out when parked and away hunting?

I am thinking of getting a Trail Cam just to stick on a tree and point at car.

Just wondering if it is an issue that I should be worried about or if it very unlikely.

not personally but do know about the duck hunters tyres being slashed at lake connewarre in previous seasons and am aware of cars being trashed when deer hunters have left there cars to hunt the high country which is why vicpol do not want you to leave extra firearms ect.. when leaving your car or camp unattended
Id put a camera up :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Apr 2019, 1:40 pm

But what do you do with the vision? You might get very, very lucky and get a no plate but if the ppl doing the damage cannot be easily identified then the police can’t / won’t do anything.

I caught some ppl dumping rubbish in a brown 4 wd flat tray land cruiser - could see the ppl pretty darn clearly (in day light) could make out hair colour, moustache but not really facial details - they said they couldn’t really progress it as the ppl couldn’t be easily identified.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by YoungBuck » 30 Apr 2019, 1:52 pm

bigfellascott wrote:NO no probs ever. You can get apps that can detect cameras now!

Sorry but I don't see how this is possible. Can you post your source or an example app? (or has the sarcasm gone over my head? :oops: )

As for the OP - I've never had an issue in the years I have been doing it. Probably helps not having a "WINCHESTER" decal on your back windshield or similar.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Apr 2019, 3:04 pm

TassieTiger wrote:

Heres a couple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPifFzUGZSg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcgYc4MRyX8
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Apr 2019, 6:00 pm

Sooo, in 40 years of hunting the ONLY thing that has happened to me is 1 cb arial stolen.

I always keep a low profile.
Never in anyway advertise i have firearms.
Never advertise i am hunting.
Only ocassionly visit very remote areas.
Only shots i fire are 1 or 2 to check sights and at game.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by winton » 05 Aug 2019, 2:10 pm

Whats the selection criteria that people use when parking their car?

Out to the shoulder? Heaps of shoulder room? In broad view? or behind cover? Camping carparks? or just anywhere and everywhere they can. (ie not fussy) etc.

Oldbloke wrote:Only shots i fire are 1 or 2 to check sights .

What are the legalities of shooting sighting shots? or using a state forest to sight in your rifle?
Last edited by winton on 05 Aug 2019, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Aug 2019, 2:13 pm

Bung some Rainbow Pride Stickers on it, I'm sure it will be fine then.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigrich » 05 Aug 2019, 3:30 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Bung some Rainbow Pride Stickers on it, I'm sure it will be fine then.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: good on ya scott . wonder how i'll go parked up with my one nation stickers all over mine ? ;) maybe i should use it as bait and catch a different sort of feral vermin :P

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 05 Aug 2019, 5:09 pm

Rainbow pride and vegan life stickers...... I like your idea mate
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 05 Aug 2019, 6:17 pm

bigrich wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Bung some Rainbow Pride Stickers on it, I'm sure it will be fine then.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: good on ya scott . wonder how i'll go parked up with my one nation stickers all over mine ? ;) maybe i should use it as bait and catch a different sort of feral vermin :P

You could fry their brains and have both the One nation stickers AND the gay pride ones at the same time!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 05 Aug 2019, 6:45 pm

Noisydad wrote:
bigrich wrote:

You could fry their brains and have both the One nation stickers AND the gay pride ones at the same time!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that's priceless noisy :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Aug 2019, 7:48 pm

bigrich wrote:

Yours will get vandalised, mine will be fine with gay rainbow stickers on it :lol:

It's amazing how these types carry on at times, they are so self rightchess and yet happily destroy other peoples property all the while believing they are in the right and being a criminal is ok in their eyes as it's the correct way to carry on under the circumstances. :thumbsdown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Aug 2019, 8:13 pm

One word...land mines.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 06 Aug 2019, 5:27 pm

TassieTiger wrote:One word...land mines.

Nah, go hard. Claymores linked to a trip wire :P

Disclaimer- the previous statement was meant as a joke and does not condone serious bodily harm or death to environmental extremists who wilfully trespass and damage people’s property and/or lay tyre spikes or other booby traps in state forest or on the private land of others

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 06 Aug 2019, 5:39 pm

y'know scott , i was thinking that in the spirit of public relations , you could take your rainbow stickered vehicle to the next sydney mardi gras . ;) i'm not judging, but there must be some gay shooters in the sport who could demonstrate to the general public how accepting , law abiding and inclusive the shooting community is . there must be some gay shooters out there , i mean who keeps buying all those muzzle braked 308 and 6.5 man bun tacticool rifles ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: okay , abuse and trolling commence now ............ :D :thumbsup:

bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by flutch » 06 Aug 2019, 8:46 pm

TassieTiger wrote:

the apps use the camera on the phone/tab to pick up the IR signal from the trail cams. if they have been lost where you put them, likelihood is theyre flat and no app will find them.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by mickb » 25 Aug 2019, 11:07 am

The farm invaders aren't hippies and vegans anyway, they are usually professional protest contractors first and foremost. I remember when all the adverts came up on seek.com for them. I think they were asking for 'policy consultants, short term contract, decent hourly rate' etc. It worries me who and at what level is funding this crap and why the government semi-tolerates it.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by southeast varmiter » 25 Aug 2019, 11:50 am

mickb wrote:The farm invaders aren't hippies and vegans anyway, they are usually professional protest contractors first and foremost. I remember when all the adverts came up on seek.com for them. I think they were asking for 'policy consultants, short term contract, decent hourly rate' etc. It worries me who and at what level is funding this crap and why the government semi-tolerates it.

Because it’s corporate sponsored. They want control over these industries. Mafia tactics.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 26 Aug 2019, 10:43 pm

The funding must come from somewhere!
Look at the last Vic state election.
The Animal Justice Party fielded at least one candidate in each upper house seat and also a candidate in many lower house seats.
This costs a huge amount of money. Simple question:

Where has the money come from and particularly in what is actually quite a short period of time?

I would doubt crowd funding would produce the amounts required.

Sarco
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Archie » 27 Aug 2019, 10:43 am

Sarco wrote:The funding must come from somewhere!
Look at the last Vic state election.
The Animal Justice Party fielded at least one candidate in each upper house seat and also a candidate in many lower house seats.
This costs a huge amount of money. Simple question:

Where has the money come from and particularly in what is actually quite a short period of time?

I would doubt crowd funding would produce the amounts required.

Sarco

Campaigning costs money if you are doing it with proper consultants, decent travel budgets etc like a major party does - which is not how AJP does it. Advertising on radio and tv costs money. But simply running a candidate costs almost nothing. Doing press conferences in a park, turning up at other events like fairs and so forth costs nothing. Posters on telephone poles are cheap, especially if put up by volunteers. It costs $350 for a state candidate deposit in Victoria and if you get 4% of the vote you get your money back.

Winning lower house seats can get expensive. Running in them as a vanity project isn't. I wouldn't read too much into the funding aspect.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 01 Sep 2019, 8:55 pm

Some bloke posted about a swag being pinched from his camp in a new state forest the other day.
First actual incident I've ever heard of.
Meanwhile the "what do folks do to deter thieves on public land" question comes up about a dozen times a year.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel