What 4WD LED lights would you recommend?

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

What 4WD LED lights would you recommend?

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jun 2019, 5:53 pm

I'm looking to put some extra high beam lights on my Rodeo. I'm thinking LED rather than halogens mostly because of longevity. My goal is to angle them to throw a good spread of light to both sides, rather than half a mile down the road in front, reason being any close encounters I've had have been roos and emus deciding they absolutely must cross the road in front of me, not stupid ones standing on the road in front.
for that reason I'm leaning towards floods, not spots. Your experience/views would be welcome - light bars vs round or square "spotlights", floods vs spots, any brands you recommend? any to avoid?
Member-Deleted

Re: What 4WD LED lights would you recommend?

Post by Bruiser64 » 16 Jun 2019, 7:47 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:I'm looking to put some extra high beam lights on my Rodeo. I'm thinking LED rather than halogens mostly because of longevity. My goal is to angle them to throw a good spread of light to both sides, rather than half a mile down the road in front, reason being any close encounters I've had have been roos and emus deciding they absolutely must cross the road in front of me, not stupid ones standing on the road in front.
for that reason I'm leaning towards floods, not spots. Your experience/views would be welcome - light bars vs round or square "spotlights", floods vs spots, any brands you recommend? any to avoid?

I fitted 9 inch Big Red led spotties and a Big Red lightbar that Auto One we’re selling as a package deal. They are a very good combination. A mate of mine had HID’s on his car and he thought my light setup had a very good spread of light, but definitely less penetration than his HID’s. I really don’t think the lightbar by itself is enough. The spotties make a huge difference. If I had to choose I would fit the spotties before the lightbar.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by GQshayne » 16 Jun 2019, 9:28 pm

I have HID lights, and an LED light bar. Each serves their own purpose. HID is excellent if you are driving all night, as they minimise eye fatigue due to their excellent penetration. The light bar gives excellent spread into table drains etc, where animals often feed. My light bar is a "combo" with spot and spread built-in. It is a 20" bar, 120watt power consumption, about 12,000 lumens from memory. It used 10w Cree LED's. Even without the HID's it is very effective, and I would recommend something with similar specification. It is not a name brand either, just an ebay job, but as mentioned it uses Cree LED's and microchips.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by juano86 » 17 Jun 2019, 7:46 am

I used to run HID's etc, but after a few animal strikes i got the s**ts and started just buying the King's / 4WD supacentre LED's... for the money, they are awesome and you dont cry every time you hit a roo and cave one in.
https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/produc ... -ip68.html
@juan_hunts
juano86
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Jun 2019, 7:55 am

thanks fellas. the 4wd supacenter options might be the go.
Member-Deleted

Post by PM3010 » 17 Jun 2019, 1:05 pm

I'm with GQShayne, the 20 or so inch light bars on EBay are cheap enough and I've had mine for about two years. Impressed with it Also Cree globes.
PM3010
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by PaddyT » 17 Jun 2019, 2:37 pm

just got a pair of the 9 inch Supacenter ones- same reason as juano88- really didnt like the ides of forking out an extra $300 for a "name"- they seem fine- i dont get particularily technical "but they light it up like a xmas tree!!
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 17 Jun 2019, 4:19 pm

Be aware of power consumption fellas. Lights are rated in watts to tell you how much power they use, not how much light they put out. Light output is rated in Lumens or Lux mostly nowadays. So two of those cheap 9" lights at 185 watts each, draws 370 watts at 12v. That is just under 31 amps. That is a LOT!!!! Think about the capacity of your alternator, and that it has to run the rest of your car as well. You get what you pay for.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Jun 2019, 8:15 pm

I use hid / led combos from lightforce. Some manufactures state lumen output because 22000 lumens sounds great and sucks u in every time. The best and most expensive manufacturers state lux ratings. This measures the intensity of the lights rather than the output I ignore lumen claims and look only at companies that offer lux ratings At the end of the day u can get great bang for buck from supacentre or you can pay a lot more but see the road a lot more too if you want the best. I went for the latter because I know if I hit a cow in the middle of outback Qld I just might die. And I reckon I’m too young to die
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 17 Jun 2019, 8:26 pm

Not sure of the value of a Lux rating on a spread beam bight bar. They are simply not designed for penetration anyway. Not saying you are wrong, as it has an application with HID etc, but dunno about light bars.

And I will bet that the power consumption of your Lightforce lights is a long way short of 370 watts too. :thumbsup:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Jun 2019, 6:32 am

Have a look at the Stedi Lights, they make good gear that is tough, not the cheapest on the market but well made, the brackets are often what lets the cheaper stuff down over time as does the discolouring of the lenses too.

https://www.stedi.com.au/?gclid=EAIaIQo ... gIdkPD_BwE
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by JSS » 18 Jun 2019, 4:57 pm

I think the hid led combos from lightforce are the best daymakers i've seen with my own eyes. But i have these leds on mine and they're pretty bloody good and i'd comfortably say the best/brightest leds i've seen, they just don't have the 500km range on a hid.
https://xrayvision.net/led-driving-lights/220-series-led/
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 19 Jun 2019, 8:07 am

Watch out for spurious RF from LEDs - some will wipe out your radios / UHF
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by GQshayne » 20 Jun 2019, 7:27 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Watch out for spurious RF from LEDs - some will wipe out your radios / UHF

Just another reason not to go too low with your price point I suppose.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel