Roo Scarers

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Roo Scarers

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Aug 2019, 6:03 pm

Do these things work? Interested in hearing from people who have used them.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/hai ... 15162.html
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Roo Scarers

Post by tom604 » 02 Aug 2019, 7:06 pm

no,,, unless they scare them when they knock them off your bullbar when they jump into it,,,,tried and failed with me but the roo may of been deaf :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 02 Aug 2019, 8:46 pm

Nope, reckon not. I read a large consumer test on such things some years ago, including the expensive ones too, and the result was that they concluded none of them worked.

One thing I reckon makes a difference is modern lighting. The old halogen lights would alert them, but perhaps confuse them as well. I have found that HID makes them sit a lot more than halogen. The result is a lot less of them will hop in front of the vehicle than they used to. I can only assume that the intensity of HID stuns them, and they do not move anywhere near as much. It is a big difference too I think.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by CrackThump » 02 Aug 2019, 9:02 pm

i gotta go against the norm here.. I swear by them. Im going by personal observation of empirical evidence. I tend to live on a steady stream of $3,000 cars, usually in 2 yearly installments

driving the backroads of tassie for these past 10 years, its a wallaby minefield out there. I figured that tagging hoppers was just par for the course, until I bought an old AU falcon that had these sonic screamers prominently attached to the bumper. Didnt really think much of it, didnt even notice the fact that I wasnt killing wildlife on the regular.

but after I cooked the transmission on the falcon and bought a magna (without sonic screamers) I definitely noticed the little bastards getting in my way again. Said magna died a horrible death with a large bennets wallaby through the radiator.

So .... Next car is an old Ford 4x4. And I decided to install my own sonic screamers this time for the grand total of $5.95.

no more wallaby problems. ( or hares, rabbits, possums or nuffink )

2 more cars since the old ford and sonic screamers on all of them.. never had an issue since.

possibly coincidence, but for $5, why the hell not
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Aug 2019, 9:07 pm

Yeh, I need something. I cant fit a bull bar to the Triton due to a very tight fit in the garage. (length). I have fitted a light bar on the roof but just heard about these things. Sounds like they are worth a try.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Aug 2019, 9:06 am

For the price - if they scared one roo, 3 Cm wide of your vehicle at 100km /h - then it’s money well spent.
I used to ride bikes a lot, at night at Tas - never again now...we don’t have any natural predation...500 plus animals get killed most nights according to local rag and seeing the roads the next day, sometimes I’d say more...a lot of trucks here can be seen with multiple lines of sonic screamers...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by ScottyD » 03 Aug 2019, 1:24 pm

CrackThump wrote:i gotta go against the norm here.. I swear by them. Im going by personal observation of empirical evidence. I tend to live on a steady stream of $3,000 cars, usually in 2 yearly installments

driving the backroads of tassie for these past 10 years, its a wallaby minefield out there. I figured that tagging hoppers was just par for the course, until I bought an old AU falcon that had these sonic screamers prominently attached to the bumper. Didnt really think much of it, didnt even notice the fact that I wasnt killing wildlife on the regular.

but after I cooked the transmission on the falcon and bought a magna (without sonic screamers) I definitely noticed the little bastards getting in my way again. Said magna died a horrible death with a large bennets wallaby through the radiator.

So .... Next car is an old Ford 4x4. And I decided to install my own sonic screamers this time for the grand total of $5.95.

2 more cars since the old ford and sonic screamers on all of them.. never had an issue since.

---

Hmmm, after reading this might have to try a set of these myself (loads of roos out our way :problem: )
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Aug 2019, 1:35 pm

$4.95. Mounted them on the rack. A bit low i suspect but seemed the best spot.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by CrackThump » 03 Aug 2019, 9:13 pm

let us know your results O.B.

PS. I remember speaking to a lady about a year ago who mounted them above her windscreen on the roof, big mistake she said, she swore she could hear them and near drover her mad until she figured out what the noise was..

but then, she may have bren part eastern grey... she had that look about her.
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Aug 2019, 9:54 pm

Yeh, about ten minutes after sticking them on i noticed a spot just umder the wiper blades. Sheesh. Might move them tomorrow.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Dec 2019, 2:13 pm

100_5496.JPG
100_5496.JPG (585.23 KiB) Viewed 5032 times
100_5497.JPG
100_5497.JPG (566.21 KiB) Viewed 5032 times
100_5500.JPG
100_5500.JPG (561.21 KiB) Viewed 5032 times
From my/our experiences they DO NOT work.
We live in really bad roo territory both wallabies and the big fellahs.

The best defense we have found is to have really good headlights combined with very good driving lights.
The trick is to angle the driving lights either side so that they light up quite a lot of the verge brighter than the pool of light from your headlights.
The vast majority of roos stay in the brightest pools of light.

On my vehicle I have twin 10" round LED drive lights pointing almost dead ahead that have a broad spread,,,,, and also two 15" STEDI light bars that are angled outward quite a bit.
The STEDI'S also have a concentrated pencil beam at one end of the bar of LED's that light up the bush or paddocks for approx 100 meters either side of the vehicle.

This combination I have found to be extremely effective,,,,, but roos being roos I don't rely on this 100%
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 14 Dec 2019, 3:45 pm

Roos scarers are extremely effective....because they allow manufacturers to make lots of $$$ from the sale of thousands of useless pieces off plastic
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 14 Dec 2019, 3:59 pm

Blr243 wrote:Roos scarers are extremely effective....because they allow manufacturers to make lots of $$$ from the sale of thousands of useless pieces off plastic

Correct - product brilliance!!! LOL :mrgreen:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wapiti » 19 Dec 2019, 6:39 pm

A mate put one on his Colorado just before we all choofed off on a trip to Tara. His was blasting along in front, boasting that his shoo roo made him impervious, and he was doing us a favour.
Then he hit a giant grey roo male, right in the middle of his toy ARB bull bar. The bar drove his radiator through his thermo fan and that was the end of his trip.
Yep, he did us a favour. When repaired, the shoo roo got the flick.
Wapiti
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Hunter257 » 23 Dec 2019, 9:01 pm

CrackThump wrote:i gotta go against the norm here.. I swear by them. Im going by personal observation of empirical evidence. I tend to live on a steady stream of $3,000 cars, usually in 2 yearly installments

plus one from me. Live in the bush up north of Newcastle. These things stop roos hitting your car. Cars with, no problems, cars without = roo dents.
My take on it is they don't scare the roos they just make them aware and they don't move as you drive past
Hunter257
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel