Who's got a UTV/side by side

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Who's got a UTV/side by side

Post by Bent Arrow » 16 Aug 2019, 9:18 pm

Just wondering who has one and how you have set it up, particularly spot light and gun racks? Thanks in advance :-)
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Re: Who's got a UTV/side by side

Post by Bent Arrow » 18 Aug 2019, 9:19 am

_20190818_084651.JPG
_20190818_084651.JPG (565.15 KiB) Viewed 7091 times

Nobody? Cmon, I know that's not true.........
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 18 Aug 2019, 9:22 am

I have been considering getting one mate. Be interested in hearing your feedback on the CF Moto.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 18 Aug 2019, 12:45 pm

Only had it a couple of days. I couldn't come at double the price tag for the big name brands, and second hand ones dont come up very often. Very happy so far.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 18 Aug 2019, 3:22 pm

I have heard that CF Moto is the pick of the Chinese stuff. Yep I understand price tag mate, went and looked at a Yamaha the other day. Can buy a decent Ute for the same price.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 Aug 2019, 10:14 pm

I noticed on my last trip to the bush that I did not use my quad much ..too bloody cold. It’s true that I can use my thermal to scan because I have no windscreen but it’s so comfortable and so warm for both the dog and I to jump in the front of the hilux instead ... so next week I’m leaving the quad at home
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by brinny » 29 Jan 2020, 10:11 pm

Yep....I have a Polaris RZR800 that i have put a few things on to suit my needs for night shooting...
20L water tank...shooting rest across the front...bench to lean on where passanger seat was, fitted with 2 pair of Rhino grips to hold a couple of rifles.......Thermal monocular set up with Blaza 100w spottie that wifis down to Samsung android tablet behind the steering wheel....21 fox rack at the rear...work lights at the rear for cleaning/skinning/gate shutting etc...set up on an 8x4 tandem trailer......much more to numerous to mention.....Works well....

A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 05 Feb 2020, 10:06 am

Thats a ripper of a set-up brinny...!!! :clap:

I cant afford one, but im curious as to how you go with the noise...?

Ive been in one & found it very noisy--motor noise--so wondered if its a hinderance...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 05 Feb 2020, 12:21 pm

I should invent a polycarbonate fold down windscreen for my quad for winter use .... fold down quick and simple so I can still thermal scan on the move Wind in my face midnight in July is brutal
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 05 Feb 2020, 2:36 pm

Blr243 wrote:I should invent a polycarbonate fold down windscreen for my quad for winter use .... fold down quick and simple so I can still thermal scan on the move Wind in my face midnight in July is brutal

You Queenslanders are fair dinkum pussy's...!!!... :?
:sarcasm: (thought id put one here too :) )
Come down here & set yourself in the back of a ute from easter onwards in the southeast for a night on the foxes...
Then next time you're back home in the tropics chasing pigs, you'll be out in your goldcoast speedos & a pair of goggles loving life... :D

(Thought id better add this...just in case... :sarcasm: )

:)
:drinks:
Last edited by Stix on 05 Feb 2020, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 05 Feb 2020, 7:14 pm

I had a drive of a side by side a few months ago, and I was amazed at how noisy it was with the CVT gearbox. I think it was a Can Am. But that gearbox just made the thing rev all the time, as it never locked up and ran at engine revs when going low speed.

Horrible!!!!!! I would never have one for hunting, it would need a normal gearbox for me.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 05 Feb 2020, 7:55 pm

Stix wrote:
You Queenslanders are fair dinkum pussy's...!!!... :?

Come down here & set yourself in the back of a ute from easter onwards in the southeast for a night on the foxes...
Then next time you're back home in the tropics chasing pigs, you'll be out in your goldcoast speedos & a pair of goggles loving life... :D

(Thought id better add this...just in case... :sarcasm: )

:)

I am with BLR. You blokes down south can have your cold weather. I would endure it for a hunting trip though. :drinks:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 05 Feb 2020, 8:23 pm

Stix comment reminded me of the time I visited Perth for the first time. I Had started my apprenticeship in Broome ( Kimberley’s) I guess u could say after 6 months I was prob acclimatised to the heat ......I had to visit Perth for apprenticeship training for two weeks in winter It was more than 30 yrs ago but I still remenber as if it were yesterday stepping out of a warm shower onto the bathroom floor .... the cold air hit me like a freight train and I thought I was going to die ...... so in the southern states , winter time , night time , spotlighting You southerners are keen ........actually cent Qld got so cold once I was sleeping outdoors in a swag prob July . Frost covered the tarp that covered my swag ....Deisel and I were cuddling up real close to stay warm ... he farted bad but it was so cold outside I did not budge to get some fresh air
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 05 Feb 2020, 9:04 pm

Lol...
Yes it gets a bit ordinary sometimes...the constant flow of snot & the eyes that just tear up so much you cant see, are most annoying, & seem to be excessively painful if the paddocks arent producing lots of eyes......

I remember a few years ago when i realised i was getting old...a couple hours south of Adelaide out on a dairy farm doing the fox thing...

Some time around 11pm i started getting annoyed with the heater in the car--thought there was something wrong with box under the dash, as the foggy windscreen wasnt clearing, even with the fan cranking full boar all directed up the winscreen...
Eventually it twigged...i got out & tipped some water over the outside to see as good as eigth inch of ice start to crack where i tipped the water...i had to do a wet defrost 3 times between then & packing it in by 1 am...

Then... Got back to the swag at around 1am & took some pics of the nights kills before noticing the decent layer of frost over the swag, & reminding myself to NOT touch the inside of the swag as i got in...
When i unzipped the swag it stayed in the same position, so i grabbed the flap & went to throw it over so i could get in---everything cracked & again, i had sheets of ice fall onto the ground...

It was a painful night...so cold i was continually waking up with a cold pain in my spine--im a warm sleeper & have rarely had a problem keeping warm, but that night was a horror...!!....thats when i started carrying an off cut of 6mm insulated sarking in my swag bag & bought a thicker better insulated self inflating matress than the one i had...
The foxes were for the most part frozen come daylight...

The worst & most annoying thing for me now is my fingers...
I cant work with gloves on, & cant shoot with them either...So i have to rip a glove off to get a shot away---& if thats not annoying enough, trying to find the bloody glove every time can be a right PITA...ive flicked it out the window once before in the haste to get it off, only to freakishly find it on the edge of a track couple hours later on my way back to sleepy-poos...

Id love the lack of cold you guys have up there...but then, your fox furs wouldnt be as good as the ones down here...

If either of you get down here in the cooler months ill take you out for a night on the foxes...nothing like a good cold night on the foxes to remind oneself your alive...!!!
(but remember im old now...lol...so it might be IN the car rather than ON the car...)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 05 Feb 2020, 9:08 pm

Brinny...also, what is the set-up of that ball/uni joint the light & thermal mono are hooked onto...?

Is that a custom made jobby of your own doing or a bought set-up, or bit of both...?

It looks the goods...!!

If bought, do have any info like name, model & brand...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brinny » 06 Feb 2020, 4:39 am

Stix wrote:Brinny...also, what is the set-up of that ball/uni joint the light & thermal mono are hooked onto...?

Is that a custom made jobby of your own doing or a bought set-up, or bit of both...?

It looks the goods...!!

If bought, do have any info like name, model & brand...?

Swivel is a powerbeam swivel Stix.....cost around $160 from memory.....
Lots of work gone into this little buggy.....I took the original tray off the back and my the one thats on it now, which has the water tank and utility box incorporated in it....
Ive since done a couple of modifications and cut the roll cage off where it goes over the tray and fitted a new fox rack as well as acouple of extra rear LED lights and fitted a detachabble dog crate on the back to take the mutt out with me to find the hard to find critters in the long grass.....
Noisey...VERY.....pain in the backside actually....but i have fitted an extra muffler under the rear of the tray, so that cuts the noise down a bit....
Cold in the winter...VERY....but i rug up pretty much and have the balaclavas, jacket and gloves etc on to ward off the cold....certainly not much chop when its drizzling with rain....get pretty wet....

They have their good points and bad points like everything, but for covering a lot of ground quickly, they really are the goods.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 06 Feb 2020, 7:17 pm

Hey Brinny, does yours have a CVT gearbox??
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by brinny » 06 Feb 2020, 8:19 pm

GQshayne wrote:Hey Brinny, does yours have a CVT gearbox??

I have absolutely no idea mate...all i know is i pull it into gear and put my hoof on the acelerator and it goes...no gears...doesnt change up or down....one gear
simillar to a centrifical clutch
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 07 Feb 2020, 7:19 pm

CVT is an abbreviation of "Constantly Variable Transmission" so it feels like it only has one gear.

The issue I had with the one I rode with the CVT, was in comparison to an old gearbox where you selected the gear yourself. In a hunting situation, you select the gear and plod along at lower revs to keep the noise down. But the CVT at lower speeds never allowed this. It revs all the time, and you cannot control it. Noisy bugger of a thing.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel